I'm quitting the forum

Started by Greg, January 26, 2018, 01:23:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jovan66102

Damn! I come back and you leave! I was looking forward to arguing with you. Seriously, congratulations, and check in when you can. Go with God.
Jovan-Marya Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
"Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog also.)" St Bernard of Clairvaux
https://musingsofanoldcurmudgeon.blogspot.com/

Gardener

Guys, he posted this in January and has been active since.

My guess is the job requires much less than he anticipated, or he otherwise figured out how to make it work (i.e., there are obviously times with nothing else to do).
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

james03

LOL, just noticed that.  I was the necromancer in this case.

Not many places to have above average IQ discussions on Catholic subjects on the internet.
"But he that doth not believe, is already judged: because he believeth not in the name of the only begotten Son of God (Jn 3:18)."

"All sorrow leads to the foot of the Cross.  Weep for your sins."

"Although He should kill me, I will trust in Him"

Gardener

Greg broke his cardinal rule: don't make goodbye threads. That's how you stay and become a holographic posting entity.
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Greg

I am posting far less.

Busy with the new task. It's hard work.
Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

Jacob

Quote from: Greg on May 15, 2018, 08:23:55 AM
I am posting far less.

Your far less is far more than my normal, so it seems like barely change at all. :)
"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
--Neal Stephenson

Gardener

Quote from: Greg on May 15, 2018, 08:23:55 AM
I am posting far less.

Busy with the new task. It's hard work.

You quit the forum like James and I quit chewing tobacco.

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XAsSHfrW3I[/yt]
[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eucjAdCtkJM[/yt]

Maximilian

Quote from: Gardener on May 15, 2018, 08:10:42 AM
Greg broke his cardinal rule: don't make goodbye threads. That's how you stay and become a holographic posting entity.

jovan66102

Quote from: Gardener on May 15, 2018, 07:50:01 AM
Guys, he posted this in January and has been active since.

At least I have an excuse! I just came back yesterday and his post showed up as a new post for me.  :)
Jovan-Marya Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
"Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog also.)" St Bernard of Clairvaux
https://musingsofanoldcurmudgeon.blogspot.com/

MilesChristi

Quote from: james03 on May 15, 2018, 08:07:54 AM
LOL, just noticed that.  I was the necromancer in this case.

Not many places to have above average IQ discussions on Catholic subjects on the internet.

[yt][/yt]
The world is charged with the grandeur of God.
    It will flame out, like shining from shook foil;
    It gathers to a greatness, like the ooze of oil
Crushed. Why do men then now not reck his rod?
Generations have trod, have trod, have trod;
    And all is seared with trade; bleared, smeared with toil;
    And wears man's smudge and shares man's smell: the soil
Is bare now, nor can foot feel, being shod.

And for all this, nature is never spent;
    There lives the dearest freshness deep down things;
And though the last lights off the black West went
    Oh, morning, at the brown brink eastward, springs —
Because the Holy Ghost over the bent
    World broods with warm breast and with ah! bright wings.

Jayne

It's all a plot to torment me.  Every time I see the subject line that Greg's leaving I get all excited.  Then I remember that he is still posting.
:P
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

Greg

I love it when a plan comes together.
Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

Jayne

Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

Mono no aware

Although he didn't quite "quit the forum," the quantity of his posts has certainly decreased.  The quality, however, has improved.  He has essentially become the resident travel writer, and this is a great gift to those of us who enjoy his writing style and his wry observations.  After ten thousand posts, he had said all he could possibly say about Joey Lomangino's eyes and the indefectibility of the Church, and for me, at least, the cowbell thing was getting pretty stale.  The new material is better.  I enjoyed his recent critique of a pod hotel (an experience he liked well enough but wouldn't do again because it lacks "the utilitarian value of being able to wander from your bed to the toilet stark bollock naked").  But I think the best aspect of his "Notes on Asia" thing is his virulently un-PC outlook, which treats the reader to criticisms or praise of various oriental peoples based on Greg rationale.  There is a "mustachioed Englishman in a pith helmet" tinge to his travelogue that could not be gotten from any actual travel writer.  Not being British, I have learnt the excellent terms "abo" and "nig-nog" from Greg, and am grateful.  From the cool neon skyscrapers of Kuala Lumpur to a balmy un-air-conditioned church in palmy Goa, it's a richness of acerbic anecdotes.  I only hope that as he continues to tour the Far East on his sales calls, that at some point he will use one of my favorite archaisms, "coolie."

clau clau

Quote from: Pon de Replay on May 19, 2018, 08:26:46 AM
Although he didn't quite "quit the forum," the quantity of his posts has certainly decreased.  The quality, however, has almost improved.  He has essentially become the resident travel writer, and this is a great gift to those of us who enjoy his writing style and his wry observations.  After ten thousand posts, he had said all he could possibly say about Joey Lomangino's eyes and the indefectibility of the Church, and for me, at least, the cowbell thing was getting pretty stale.  The new material is better.  I enjoyed his recent critique of a pod hotel (an experience he liked well enough but wouldn't do again because it lacks "the utilitarian value of being able to wander from your bed to the toilet stark bollock naked").  But I think the best aspect of his "Notes on Asia" thing is his virulently un-PC outlook, which treats the reader to criticisms or praise of various oriental ethnic groups based on Greg rationale.  There is a "mustachioed Englishman in a pith helmet" tinge to his travelogue that could not be gotten from any actual travel writer.  Not being British, I have learnt the excellent terms "abo" and "nig-nog" from Greg, and am grateful.  From the cool neon skyscrapers of Kuala Lumpur to a balmy un-airconditioned church in palmy Goa, it's a richness of acerbic anecdotes.  I only hope that as he continues to tour the Far East on his sales calls, that he uses at some point one of my favorite archaisms, "coolie."

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cn8Pua5rhj4[/yt]
Father time has an undefeated record.

But when he's dumb and no more here,
Nineteen hundred years or near,
Clau-Clau-Claudius shall speak clear.
(https://completeandunabridged.blogspot.com/2009/06/i-claudius.html)