The Whole Law

Started by TerrorDæmonum, July 26, 2022, 05:24:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TerrorDæmonum

Quote from: James 2:10-11
And whosoever shall keep the whole law, but offend in one point, is become guilty of all. For he that said, Thou shalt not commit adultery, said also, Thou shalt not kill. Now if thou do not commit adultery, but shalt kill, thou art become a transgressor of the law.

Quote from: John 14:15, 21
If you love me, keep my commandments...

He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them; he it is that loveth me. And he that loveth me, shall be loved of my Father: and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.

Quote from: Catechism of Pius X
The Main Kinds of Sins

7 Q. What is mortal sin?
A. Mortal sin is a transgression of the divine Law by which we seriously fail in our duties towards God, towards our neighbour, or towards ourselves.

8 Q. Why is it called mortal?
A. It is called mortal because it brings death on the soul by making it lose sanctifying grace which is the life of the soul, just as the soul itself is the life of the body.

Quote from: Summa Theologica, First Part of the Second Part, Question 73
Article 1. Whether all sins are connected with one another?

On the contrary, Some vices are contrary to one another, as the Philosopher states (Ethic. ii, 8). But contraries cannot be together in the same subject. Therefore it is impossible for all sins and vices to be connected with one another.

Reply to Objection 1. James is speaking of sin, not as regards the thing to which it turns and which causes the distinction of sins, as stated above (I-II:72:1, but as regards that from which sin turns away, in as much as man, by sinning, departs from a commandment of the law. Now all the commandments of the law are from one and the same, as he also says in the same passage, so that the same God is despised in every sin; and in this sense he says that whoever "offends in one point, is become guilty of all," for as much as, by committing one sin, he incurs the debt of punishment through his contempt of God, which is the origin of all sins.

Article 2. Whether all sins are equal?

On the contrary
, Our Lord said to Pilate (John 19:11): "He that hath delivered me to thee, hath the greater sin," and yet it is evident that Pilate was guilty of some sin. Therefore one sin is greater than another.

Quote from: Catechism of Pius X
ARTICLE IX: "I BELIEVE IN THE HOLY CATHOLIC CHURCH; THE COMMUNION OF SAINTS"

The Members Of The Church Militant

The Church militant is composed of two classes of persons, the good and the bad, both professing the same faith and partaking of the same Sacraments, yet differing in their manner of life and morality.

The good are those who are linked together not only by the profession of the same faith, and the participation of the same Sacraments, but also by the spirit of grace and the bond of charity. Of these St. Paul says: The Lord knoweth who are his. Who they are that compose this class we also may remotely conjecture, but we can by no means pronounce with certainty. Hence Christ the Saviour does not speak of this portion of His Church when He refers us to the Church and commands us to hear and to obey her. As this part of the Church is unknown, how could we ascertain with certainty whose decision to recur to, whose authority to obey?

The Church, therefore, as the Scriptures and the writings of the Saints testify, includes within her fold the good and the bad; and it was in this sense that St. Paul spoke of one body and one spirit. Thus understood, the Church is known and is compared to a city built on a mountain, and visible from every side. As all must yield obedience to her authority, it is necessary that she may­be known by all.

That the Church is composed of the good and the bad we learn from many parables contained in the Gospel. Thus, the kingdom of heaven, that is, the Church militant, is compared to a net cast into the sea, to a field in which tares were sown with the good grain, to a threshing floor on which the grain is mixed up with the chaff, and also to ten virgins, some of whom were wise, and some foolish. And long before, we trace a figure and resemblance of this Church in the ark of Noah, which contained not only clean, but also unclean animals.

But although the Catholic faith uniformly and truly teaches that the good and the bad belong to the Church, yet the same faith declares that the condition of both is very different. The wicked are contained in the Church, as the chaff is mingled with the grain on the threshing floor, or as dead members sometimes remain attached to a living body.

Those Who Are Not Members Of The Church

Hence there are but three classes of persons excluded from the Church's pale: infidels, heretics and schismatics, and excommunicated persons. Infidels are outside the Church because they never belonged to, and never knew the Church, and were never made partakers of any of her Sacraments. Heretics and schismatics are excluded from the Church, because they have separated from her and belong to her only as deserters belong to the army from which they have deserted. It is not, however, to be denied that they are still subject to the jurisdiction of the Church, inasmuch as they may be called before her tribunals, punished and anathematised. Finally, excommunicated persons are not members of the Church, because they have been cut off by her sentence from the number of her children and belong not to her communion until they repent.

But with regard to the rest, however wicked and evil they may be, it is certain that they still belong to the Church: Of this the faithful are frequently to be reminded, in order to be convinced that, were even the lives of her ministers debased by crime, they are still within the Church, and therefore lose nothing of their power.

AlNg

Quote from: TerrorDæmonum on July 26, 2022, 05:24:50 PM
Hence there are but three classes of persons excluded from the Church's pale: infidels, heretics and schismatics, and excommunicated persons.
Like I already said, specifically, who are the heretics and schismatics today? Are the adherents of SSPX, SSPV, the Dimond Brothers such or is it the members of the mainstream Catholic Church which is in schism from the preVaticanII Church? ? A letter signed by 1500 Catholic scholars and priests says Pope Francis  is a heretic? Are the 1500 signers the heretics and schismatics or is it Pope Francis who is the heretic? Other, than the E. or O. Orthodox, is anyone else in schism in the Church today?

Prayerful

I take schism as distance from definite and undoubted Church Teaching. Who might be closer to Trent, theologically? Francis or SG Pagliarini or sedes or home aloners. Francis does say and do some things which seem to put at a distance from that Council.
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

AlNg

Quote from: Prayerful on July 27, 2022, 01:33:44 PM
I take schism as distance from definite and undoubted Church Teaching. Who might be closer to Trent, theologically? Francis or SG Pagliarini or sedes or home aloners. Francis does say and do some things which seem to put at a distance from that Council.
So it is not clearcut as to who is or who is not a heretic?

Julio

^^Catholicism has the deposit of faith and the Magisterium possess that. It is the accountability of the Catholic leadership if there will be deviation from the deposit of faith like those that were taught by the Apostolic Fathers, St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas. We have discernment over all these matter and by the power of the Holy Spirit we shall be guided towards the truth.

Submission to the will of God as shown by Jesus is to carry that cross. We have a cross to carry right now because we are blinded by the vagueness of all these pronouncements from our Pope. We can still pray and continue to attend the gift of the Holy Mass, observe the obedience of His will through the Sacraments, prayers with the use of our sacramentals like our Holy Rosary and Novena, and the receive Jesus through the consecration of the Holy Eucharist and continue in the path of following Him by way of our sacrifice of penance.

Despite all these, we can still be in Communion with Jesus, and entertaining anger that burns within us shall never be helpful. I am angry but I know that it shall never work in following Jesus. I am carrying that cross.