Greetings

Started by TulitAutemAgnum, April 18, 2022, 07:21:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TulitAutemAgnum

Hi,

I'm interested in writing with other traditionally minded Catholics, and often have questions regarding the faith which I'm not comfortable asking my Novus Pastor.  Where I live, we have no TLM parishes, only a Sunday Diocesan TLM about an hour out of town in a small rural oratory.  We do have an SSPX chapel here, but like my local Bishop, I do not currently accept the SSPX legitimacy. 

I've been making some posts recently on Fisheaters, another Traditional Catholic Forum, but I often find them to be somewhat casual, taking more liberal views than myself.  I'm currently a student studying classics with an interest in Prayer, Languages, and Theology.  Thank you for your continued time and attention. May God bless you all.

TerrorDæmonum

Quote from: TulitAutemAgnum on April 18, 2022, 07:21:15 PM
We do have an SSPX chapel here, but like my local Bishop, I do not currently accept the SSPX legitimacy. 
Welcome. Their canonical situation is a little less straightforward and perhaps on this forum you could learn more about their current status. I have not kept up myself.

I've been making some posts recently on Fisheaters, another Traditional Catholic Forum, but I often find them to be somewhat casual, taking more liberal views than myself.
You have no idea.

Anyway, on the Internet, be careful:
Quote from: Matthew 10:16
Behold I send you as sheep in the midst of wolves. Be ye therefore wise as serpents and simple as doves.

I recommend having a good Catechism handy to double check all things: reject anything contradictory. You may be surprised by what is floating around, some more entrenched than others.

TulitAutemAgnum

Thank you for the warning TerrorDaemonium.  Points taken.  I've gotten to the place where I'm now hearing some arguments of the Sedevacantists, but so far I'm not persuaded in the least by them.  I've heard more convincing arguments from the SSPX, the most potent involving personal conscience and unjust law.  But I'm 33 now and have been Catholic for awhile, and I think its time that I get into this sort of thing, even if I don't always have the most developed opinions.  As far as Catechisms go, I've got Roman Catechism from Baronius, and of course the '92 CCC, which I'm guessing is not entirely in vogue here at this forum.  I'm not sure what the opinion is here of Taylor Marshall, perhaps he is a forum member, but I have found his ideas compelling and appreciated his recent expose Infiltration. 

But Church politics is not my major focus.  I am more interested in developing my prayer life and studying scripture, working a humble menial employment in my home city, and considering yet monastic life. 

TerrorDæmonum

Quote from: TulitAutemAgnum on April 18, 2022, 08:10:17 PM
I've gotten to the place where I'm now hearing some arguments of the Sedevacantists, but so far I'm not persuaded in the least by them.
That conclusion is far more radical than the discourse online would lead you to believe. Sometimes, it is very short sighted.

As far as Catechisms go, I've got Roman Catechism from Baronius, and of course the '92 CCC, which I'm guessing is not entirely in vogue here at this forum. 
For a more direct presentation of what we need to know, the Catechism of Pius X or the Baltimore Catechism are more useful. They are very direct, to the point, and organized. The Catechism of the Council of Trent and the Catechism of the Catholic Church have a different targeted audience: they are aimed at priests and bishops, rather than the laity. You can see this quite explicitly within them.

QuoteI'm not sure what the opinion is here of Taylor Marshall, perhaps he is a forum member, but I have found his ideas compelling and appreciated his recent expose Infiltration. 
I don't know who that is, but there was a thread about him which will give you some insight into how people think about him. I did not follow the thread myself and I avoid individual personalities: I find that to be misleading most of the time, at least, for me.

QuoteBut Church politics is not my major focus.  I am more interested in developing my prayer life and studying scripture, working a humble menial employment in my home city, and considering yet monastic life.

That is good. Those that get mired in politics tend to reduce everything to a political question, and sometimes at the expense of morality and doctrine.

TulitAutemAgnum

Thanks again TerrorDaemonum, points taken.  I've just skimmed the Taylor Marshall thread and I think its fair to say that those posting therein have an unfavorable opinion of him, although I saw little support for their dislike.  However I'm not surprised given that the thread is within a Sede subforum, and presumeably some of those users are sympathetic to Sedevacatism, which TM writes against.

It is seldom that I agree with all the things I hear an instructor, cleric, or politician say; but I'm not able to find much fault with Taylor Marshall myself.  The fact that he is a somewhat popular youtuber does not avert me, but perhaps I am simply not formed well enough to discern his faults.  P.S. What edition of the Baltimore would you recommend?

TerrorDæmonum

Quote from: TulitAutemAgnum on April 18, 2022, 08:49:57 PM
Thanks again TerrorDaemonum, points taken.  I've just skimmed the Taylor Marshall thread and I think its fair to say that those posting therein have an unfavorable opinion of him, although I saw little support for their dislike.  However I'm not surprised given that the thread is within a Sede subforum, and presumeably some of those users are sympathetic to Sedevacatism, which TM writes against.
The activity on this board is very variable. You won't get a high concentration of users active at a single time. For what it is worth, I don't know who he is or what he promoted specifically. I just remembered the thread, because the forum is slow enough to remember these things.

On that thread though, it looked like the perception of him was based on factors other than the stance on Sedevacantism.

P.S. What edition of the Baltimore would you recommend?

For adult reference and usage, Baltimore Catechism No. 4. But, they are all good. TAN has the complete set. I have that and a hard cover of the No. 4. It has the questions and answers, but then expanded text for more on the topic, which is good for teachers, and adults teaching themselves.

Also, My Catholic Faith is an excellent resource. It is a catechism which has more theology in it than most, so it might be a good single source as well. I was born and raised this way, so I started with the Baltimores and worked up, so I'm not sure where you are or what your background is. There are a few more highly esteemed catechisms so they are not exclusive. One only really needs one, but in our modern day, if we can, having a bunch can be useful.

I own all the books mentioned in this thread so far. If I could have only two books for my own usage, it would be a catechism and a spiritual guide. The two spiritual guides I think are best for most would be The Imitation of Christ and Introduction to the Devout Life. Either or both would lead one well.

Justin Martyr

Quote from: TulitAutemAgnum on April 18, 2022, 08:49:57 PM

It is seldom that I agree with all the things I hear an instructor, cleric, or politician say; but I'm not able to find much fault with Taylor Marshall myself.  The fact that he is a somewhat popular youtuber does not avert me, but perhaps I am simply not formed well enough to discern his faults.  P.S. What edition of the Baltimore would you recommend?
Greetings and welcome to the forum.

Baltimore Catechism #3 would be my recommendation, along with the Smaller Catechism of St. Peter Canisius. I think you can get all four editions of the Baltimore catechism for around $35 on amazon.
The least departure from Tradition leads to a scorning of every dogma of the Faith.
St. Photios the Great, Encyclical to the Eastern Patriarchs

CANON I: As for all persons who dare to violate the definition of the holy and great Synod convened in Nicaea in the presence of Eusebeia, the consort of the most God-beloved Emperor Constantine, concerning the holy festival of the soterial Pascha, we decree that they be excluded from Communion and be outcasts from the Church if they persist more captiously in objecting to the decisions that have been made as most fitting in regard thereto; and let these things be said with reference to laymen. But if any of the person occupying prominent positions in the Church, such as a Bishop, or a Presbyter, or a Deacon, after the adoption of this definition, should dare to insist upon having his own way, to the perversion of the laity, and to the disturbance of the church, and upon celebrating Pascha along with the Jews, the holy Synod has hence judged that person to be an alien to the Church, on the ground that he has not only become guilty of sin by himself, but has also been the cause of corruption and perversion among the multitude. Accordingly, it not only deposes such persons from the liturgy, but also those who dare to commune with them after their deposition. Moreover, those who have been deposed are to be deprived of the external honor too of which the holy Canon and God's priesthood have partaken.
The Council of Antioch 341, recieved by the Council of Chalcedon

Lord Jesus Christ, the Son of God, have mercy on me a sinner.

TulitAutemAgnum

Thank you TerrorDaemonum and JustinMartyr for those resources.

Kaesekopf

Quote from: TulitAutemAgnum on April 18, 2022, 08:10:17 PM
But Church politics is not my major focus.  I am more interested in developing my prayer life and studying scripture, working a humble menial employment in my home city, and considering yet monastic life.

Welcome to the Forum!

I hope it's edifying and useful for you.  The goal is sanctity and Heaven, not having the most redpilled opinions on life.  As someone who's spent too much time on forums and posting useless things on the Internet, you're better off knowing the Faith, developing a strong prayer life, and just doing that.  Get the sacraments, build up a Catholic community (in person!), and get and stay holy! 
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

TulitAutemAgnum

Thank you Kaesekopf, thats very good advice.

red solo cup

non impediti ratione cogitationis

mikemac

Like John Vennari (RIP) said "Why not just do it?  What would it hurt?"
Consecrate Russia to the Immaculate Heart of Mary (PETITION)
https://lifepetitions.com/petition/consecrate-russia-to-the-immaculate-heart-of-mary-petition

"We would be mistaken to think that Fatima's prophetic mission is complete." Benedict XVI May 13, 2010

"Tell people that God gives graces through the Immaculate Heart of Mary.  Tell them also to pray to the Immaculate Heart of Mary for peace, since God has entrusted it to Her." Saint Jacinta Marto

The real nature of hope is "despair, overcome."
Source

Michael Wilson

Welcome to the forum!
There is a young lady that posts here under the name of StGemmaGalgani; she may be interested in corresponding with you.
(I'm assuming that you are a young lady; my apologies if you are not).
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

TulitAutemAgnum

Hi, nice to meet you.  Michael, what makes you think that I am a young lady?

Vox Clara

Welcome to the forum!