Author Topic: Anyone else having trouble with the Preview feature?  (Read 1062 times)

Offline Miriam_M

• Mary Garden
  • Hauptmann
  • Never have been "MiriamB"
  • Religion: Traditional Roman Catholic
Anyone else having trouble with the Preview feature?
« on: March 25, 2022, 01:24:04 PM »
Especially when replying to a post and including links.  This just happened this morning for the first time ("403 Forbidden on this server").

Offline TerrorDæmonum

• Declina A Malo & Fac Bonum
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Feldwebel
  • Breves Dies Hominis Sunt
  • Religion: Roman Catholic
Re: Anyone else having trouble with the Preview feature?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2022, 01:32:19 PM »
Especially when replying to a post and including links.  This just happened this morning for the first time ("403 Forbidden on this server").

So, you type out a post, click Preview, and you get an error? Does the error take up the whole page?

What type of computer are you using and what browser? What is your input method for clicking the Preview element? (Mouse, touchpad, touchscreen, etc)

A HTTP status code of 4xx is from the server indicating that a request was received that could not be fulfilled. The Preview button is an input element and is not a link. The event handler does make a little server request when you Preview a post, but if this somehow resulted in the display of an error, it is still weird. It should fail more gracefully than that.

A 403 error might indicate that your actions or your browser were doing something unintended for some reason.

The error is coming from the server, not your device, but it is being triggered somehow by your device, and it may be the result of some software issue or unintended action by the user.

Offline Miriam_M

• Mary Garden
  • Hauptmann
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2022, 01:49:26 PM »

So, you type out a post, click Preview, and you get an error? Does the error take up the whole page?

Yes.  Whole page.

What type of computer are you using and what browser? What is your input method for clicking the Preview element? (Mouse, touchpad, touchscreen, etc)

Mac. mid-2011 laptop with touchpad, no touchscreen.  I bring my cursor to the Preview button by using the trackpad to locate it.  Browser = chrome.

A HTTP status code of 4xx is from the server indicating that a request was received that could not be fulfilled. The Preview button is an input element and is not a link. The event handler does make a little server request when you Preview a post, but if this somehow resulted in the display of an error, it is still weird. It should fail more gracefully than that.

A 403 error might indicate that your actions or your browser were doing something unintended for some reason.

The error is coming from the server, not your device, but it is being triggered somehow by your device, and it may be the result of some software issue or unintended action by the user.

It seems to me it must be one of the links, since I was eventually able to post to Coffee and Donuts but had to replace some of the links with other links, which do work when I send those links to my email, for example, and open them from there.

Thank you for the immediate response.

Offline Miriam_M

• Mary Garden
  • Hauptmann
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2022, 02:09:12 PM »
...adding that I'm sure it must be the link itself that is problematic, although I and others on SD have linked from archive.org before.  The URL in question begins with the "ia" (Internet Archive) designation.  Don't know if that's the source of the problem.

Offline TerrorDæmonum

• Declina A Malo & Fac Bonum
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Feldwebel
  • Breves Dies Hominis Sunt
  • Religion: Roman Catholic
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2022, 02:09:24 PM »
That is most unusual. If it correlates with an attempt to post links, I would like to see if I can replicate this.

If you email me with the link, I can try to examine if this is the cause.

Offline Miriam_M

• Mary Garden
  • Hauptmann
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2022, 03:04:49 PM »
That is most unusual. If it correlates with an attempt to post links, I would like to see if I can replicate this.

Don't have your email addy, and it doesn't work PM'ing you either (tried that), but the link does work when I copy and paste it into a new tab in my browser.  If I just paste into a Reply box, though, no go.

Offline Miriam_M

• Mary Garden
  • Hauptmann
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2022, 03:11:02 PM »
Just wow.  I tried something else!  Didn't work.

I tried dividing the link up into portions to post here, starting with the https://
then, after some more text in my reply, adding the rest of the link that begins with "ia..."
Still came up full page 403 Forbidden when I hit Preview. 

Offline Heinrich

• Steig mal auf den Berg hinauf
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
  • Gott, wende Dich zu uns und gib uns neues Leben
  • Religion: römisch-katholisch
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2022, 03:14:23 PM »
Cyber attacks may have begun.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Offline andy

• Wachtmeister
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2022, 03:16:18 PM »

Don't have your email addy, and it doesn't work PM'ing you either (tried that), but the link does work when I copy and paste it into a new tab in my browser.  If I just paste into a Reply box, though, no go.

Why would you share your email/identity with individuals who is so hard to get on the same page in most basic matters?

Offline Miriam_M

• Mary Garden
  • Hauptmann
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2022, 03:16:49 PM »
Cyber attacks may have begun.

LOL. Maybe because I always hit "No" when Google asks me if I want to share all of my private info with them.  (Stupid question)

The following users thanked this post: Heinrich

Offline Miriam_M

• Mary Garden
  • Hauptmann
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2022, 03:19:47 PM »

Why would you share your email/identity with individuals who is so hard to get on the same page in most basic matters?

Was that a criticism of me, Andy?
My email is posted on my SD Profile Page, last I looked.  I know that mikemac has told me I should not do that.  Are you suggesting the same?

Offline andy

• Wachtmeister
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2022, 03:21:18 PM »
I would try to post the same troubling content from different computer, if this is an option for you.

BTW, the best way to troubleshoot it to ask the owner of this site to review server side logs and find an exact reason

Offline Miriam_M

• Mary Garden
  • Hauptmann
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2022, 03:23:59 PM »
I would try to post the same troubling content from different computer, if this is an option for you.

BTW, the best way to troubleshoot it to ask the owner of this site to review server side logs and find an exact reason

Your "BTW" says it better than I could, since I wouldn't know the term "server side logs" if you threw it at me in a restaurant. 
 :lol:

Can be difficult for non-tekkies to converse with tekkies, obviously.

Offline andy

• Wachtmeister
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2022, 03:25:30 PM »

Was that a criticism of me, Andy?
My email is posted on my SD Profile Page, last I looked.  I know that mikemac has told me I should not do that.  Are you suggesting the same?

Not a criticism. Just a question. FWIW I do not see your email on your profile.

I tried to reproduce an error on my side (using Ubuntu+Firefox) without a success though.

Other option to isolate an issue is to try a different browser and/or login to SD from a chrome Incognito windows.

Offline andy

• Wachtmeister
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2022, 03:26:55 PM »

Your "BTW" says it better than I could, since I wouldn't know the term "server side logs" if you threw it at me in a restaurant. 
 :lol:

Can be difficult for non-tekkies to converse with tekkies, obviously.

:-). That was more a hint for KK. I am sure he will read this thread at some point.