Is Joseph a moderator?

Started by Padraig, March 21, 2022, 09:26:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Padraig

I hadn't been on the forum for about a year. When I came back there was this "new" member that I had no recollection of (although apparently he had been on here years ago), imperiously ordering everyone around, trying to curtail and direct every conversation, with strong opinions on how he believes the forum should best be run. I can't tell if he's actually a moderator or more of an "assistant to the general manager."

TerrorDæmonum

Here we go again...

Quote from: Padraig on March 21, 2022, 09:26:36 AM
I hadn't been on the forum for about a year. When I came back there was this "new" member that I had no recollection of (although apparently he had been on here years ago), imperiously ordering everyone around, trying to curtail and direct every conversation, with strong opinions on how he believes the forum should best be run. I can't tell if he's actually a moderator or more of an "assistant to the general manager."

If you really cannot tell if I am a moderator or involved in running this forum, I am not.

Recall your post offering some off-topic assistance to another forum member:

Quote from: Padraig on March 16, 2022, 09:51:24 AM
Not to derail the thread into a Xavier-bashing session or a formatting lesson, but I thought I would offer Xavier a quick tip on formatting URLs:

You have made a thread that is a me-bashing session for the most part. If you had a question on forum policy, you might have done better to ask the admin directly or asked me directly rather than inviting people to post whatever accusation or grievance they had. This is not moderating: this is just regular user advice.

TerrorDæmonum

It seems that your most recent activity is on a a thread in General Catholic Discussion which concerns Sedevacantist statements and arguments. I made a few posts recently in replies to some comments like this. Yes, I generally openly protest such things outside the appropriate forum because it is potentially confusing and scandalous to people who are not interested or aware of that topic. There are many conclusions to the arguments and I do not enforce the rules here, but I use the forum because its policies are agreeable to me. There was a clarification on it more recently.

There was a longer discussion on this previously.

Heinrich

Quote from: TerrorDæmonum on March 21, 2022, 11:42:26 AM
Quote from: Olavsson on March 21, 2022, 07:45:18 AM
Greetings, brothers and sisters. I'm new on the forum, a young Christian man from Sweden.

This political thread is not the best for introductions, but welcome to the forum. You can introduce yourself to the forum for a better welcome than here.

I know some Swedish, although, I'm very out of practice.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

TerrorDæmonum

Yes, I was responding to a person introducing himself. What is wrong with that? Why are you so keen to find fault where none exists? Is this scandalous too? That is where the user first introduced himself and I responded. People who introduce themselves on forums do tend to prefer welcoming responses. In fact, most users on forums, new or old, prefer such things.

I realize that being welcoming is probably foreign to you, but it is called being hospitable, affable, amiable, or "nice" or "not an abrasive uncharitable fascist". 

Maybe it is unwise to respond at all to this thread: the fans of it are predictable. Maybe the trolls need to be put on a diet. So that is it. If someone has something useful to say about me, contact me directly. Otherwise, the regular crowd can do what they will here. It is a waste of time to interact with the deranged and demonic usually.

red solo cup

No Padraig, he most definitely is not a moderator. He used to post under the name Rosarium. He feels we aren't catholic enough.
non impediti ratione cogitationis

Jayne

And here is yet another thread to complain about Joseph.  The crimes this time:  He expresses opinions on how a Catholic forum ought to be run and he gave a friendly greeting to a new member.

These threads seem to get more irritating and the charges more ridiculous as time goes on.
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

red solo cup

Quote from: Jayne on March 21, 2022, 01:47:15 PM
And here is yet another thread to complain about Joseph.  The crimes this time:  He expresses opinions on how a Catholic forum ought to be run and he gave a friendly greeting to a new member.

These threads seem to get more irritating and the charges more ridiculous as time goes on.
Do you think it's all right to tell people they are demented or demonic or have a mental illness?
non impediti ratione cogitationis

Jayne

Quote from: red solo cup on March 21, 2022, 01:50:01 PM
Quote from: Jayne on March 21, 2022, 01:47:15 PM

Do you think it's all right to tell people they are demented or demonic or have a mental illness?

When something is seriously wrong with the way that people are posting, those are the main logical possibilities to explain it.  From what I have observed most of the people that he identifies as problematic are actually so. 

Perhaps he could find a more tactful way to express himself, but many other posters here are not tactful and we do not have endless threads complaining about it.
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

Heinrich

Quote from: red solo cup on March 21, 2022, 01:39:45 PM
No Padraig, he most definitely is not a moderator. He used to post under the name Rosarium. He feels we aren't catholic enough.

He has had four usernames here. And one defender/enabler who assesses, as he does, that everyone else is wrong.  Quite laughable.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Baylee

I highly recommend the ignore feature.

TerrorDæmonum

People have criticized me for denouncing evils, yet, they are strangely silent on those evils. If I have erred, surely one would demonstrate that those evils did not exist and thus my responses were wrong. But those who criticize those who denounce evils, while being silent on those evils, are almost certainly morally participating in those evils.

Catholic moral and dogmatic theology are far more important than any natural learning and certainly far more important than any opinions or speculations I have. In fact, if I were to put politics, opinions, and society above dogmatic and moral theology, I would have sinned. That is something I try to avoid: Declina a malo et fac bonum. It is a very literal and simple statement that we are all bound by precept to follow. I do what I can and it is not something I think is unreasonable for everybody to follow when it comes to grave matters.

TerrorDæmonum

Quote from: Heinrich on March 21, 2022, 03:04:30 PM
And one defender/enabler who assesses, as he does, that everyone else is wrong.  Quite laughable.

There were/are many forum users who do not participate publicly because of things like this. Most people do not want to deal with the demonic or deranged online. The fact that a handful of people will persist in activity is not an indication of any particular connection. Many usually think I'm wasting time even trying to have any Catholic discussions on the forum though. They might be right, but I also know the readers of this forum who are largely silent greatly outnumber the active posters. Maybe posting is a good thing, but responding is futile. I have not reached a conclusion on that yet.

There are more users of this forum than those who take part in public discussions. This forum is a hub of connectivity for some Catholics, and it is a shame that so many do not want to participate on the public forum.

Heinrich

Quote from: TerrorDæmonum on March 22, 2022, 01:21:51 AM
Quote from: Heinrich on March 21, 2022, 03:04:30 PM
And one defender/enabler who assesses, as he does, that everyone else is wrong.  Quite laughable.

There were/are many forum users who do not participate publicly because of things like this. Most people do not want to deal with the demonic or deranged online. The fact that a handful of people will persist in activity is not an indication of any particular connection. Many usually think I'm wasting time even trying to have any Catholic discussions on the forum though. They might be right, but I also know the readers of this forum who are largely silent greatly outnumber the active posters. Maybe posting is a good thing, but responding is futile. I have not reached a conclusion on that yet.

There are more users of this forum than those who take part in public discussions. This forum is a hub of connectivity for some Catholics, and it is a shame that so many do not want to participate on the public forum.

Many do not want to participate due to spammy prigs.

Kaesekopf

The moderator(s) are posted in the Forum Rules.  Not sure why this wasn't handled in a PM to the admin, or simply by reading the Forum Rules.  Alas.

This thread needs more Joseph-related threads.  Now that COVID is being wound down Russia-posting is all the rage, this nominally Catholic forum definitely needs topics unrelated to Catholicism.  :lol:
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.