Author Topic: Thick Skin  (Read 214 times)

Offline TerrorDæmonum

• Declina A Malo & Fac Bonum
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Feldwebel
  • Breves Dies Hominis Sunt
  • Religion: Roman Catholic
Thick Skin
« on: March 09, 2022, 01:33:46 AM »
I have used the Internet for various things for a long time. I have participated in various forums for different topics. I have learned that for the most part correcting people on the Internet is futile and pointless and that has largely become more true as years passed and September has become prolonged even more. "On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog". There is no way to know who is actually on the other side of an interaction usually. It could be a bot, marketer, troll, severely mentally disturbed person, or what they claim to be, and on the greater Internet, there is no reason to believe anything in particular without further evidence and interaction. Offering correction and citing orthodox doctrine usually does not fix anything and just invites more of the same.

Quote from: Matthew 7:6
Give not that which is holy to dogs; neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest perhaps they trample them under their feet, and turning upon you, they tear you.

Participating on platforms filled with the hostile or deceptive (whether bots, trolls, or vicious people) should be avoided entirely or only done for specifically very good reasons. I don't have any participation on anything now, except this forum. I don't post in comment sections or have any social media activity or accounts. I don't write reviews or comment on other reviews. It is not worth it and an occasion of sin, if not for myself, for those who may respond.

On forums, "don't feed the trolls", we used to say, "report issues to the moderator(s) to deal with". And we could assume that anything that was reported would be reviewed and dealt with and that would indicate relative approval or disapproval.

But this leaves a very strange situation: what if the statements and actions of a moderator don't align? What if they sometimes do? What if they are silent? What if they are active sometimes on some issues? What does it mean? What is one to think?

As long as this forum describes itself as  "Suscipe Domine - A traditional Catholic forum", it seems entirely appropriate to uphold, promote, and discuss all aspects of Catholic theology, dogmatic and moral, without any need to hold anything back for fear of swine desecrating anything holy. It also seemed reasonable to assume that active members would have a similar baseline view of the world, at least as far as basic Catholic teaching goes, and that active members should be treated as humans, not the aforementioned Internet people who are not able to be known.

But that does not seem prudent: the situation is different. This forum has the same sort of issues as any other Internet platform and there is no reason to assume anything special.

Apparent mortal sins are the same as any other: there are no good mortal sins, and some things are mortal sins by nature (if not a mortal sin for all those who commit the acts, as that depends on interior states). Those who commit, defend, or otherwise participate in these evil acts are all part of the same unholy kingdom to some degree and there is no reason to praise one over the others or condemn one and not the others.

Quote from: Matthew 7:20
Wherefore by their fruits you shall know them.

What we publish here is how we are known to each other and there is no reason to assume otherwise.

I once thought that a "thick skin" in the context of this forum was equivalent to a "hardened heart" because of the context of the forum, but there is no reason to think this anymore: it is the same as any other Internet platform, whether it be a social media platform, comments section on a news site or blog, or any other way to interact with others on the Internet. By our fruits, we are known, and evil fruits come from evil people, and apparently evil fruits come from those who are severely deranged. There is no real way to tell the difference from a distance. There is no reason to act otherwise, except as long as this is a Catholic forum, there might be some good in denouncing evil instead of ignoring it and avoiding it.

Those who seek to be good, should become more sensitive as they progress, and this sensitivity is easily destroyed by a hardened heart, and the way to avoid this when exposed to evil is to be sure not to let it become normalized and excused: it should be denounced as any other evil when one is in a situation where that would be good. There is no good way to participate in a group any other way. Either one is in agreement with them or not, and if one is silent, one can be seen as silently in agreement, even if one is not.

I focus on the basics: what is clear and certain and taught clearly from my youth, upheld by the best sources. I have no original ideas or opinions on doctrine and morality: it is all given to us by the Church and the faithful hold it with certainty.

Uphold and do what is good, denounce and avoid what is evil.

Quote from: Corinthians 5
Know you not that a little leaven corrupteth the whole lump? Purge out the old leaven, that you may be a new paste, as you are unleavened. For Christ our pasch is sacrificed. Therefore let us feast, not with the old leaven, nor with the leaven of malice and wickedness; but with the unleavened bread of sincerity and truth. I wrote to you in an epistle, not to keep company with fornicators. I mean not with the fornicators of this world, or with the covetous, or the extortioners, or the servers of idols; otherwise you must needs go out of this world.

But now I have written to you, not to keep company, if any man that is named a brother, be a fornicator, or covetous, or a server of idols, or a railer, or a drunkard, or an extortioner: with such a one, not so much as to eat.  For what have I to do to judge them that are without? Do not you judge them that are within? For them that are without, God will judge. Put away the evil one from among yourselves.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2022, 01:52:14 AM by Pæniteo »

The following users thanked this post: Jayne