The Church Door > Coffee and Donuts

Traditional Credentials

(1/4) > >>

TerrorDæmonum:
I'm a lifelong Catholic, born and raised in the traditional Roman Rites, and I did not even know anything else until I was a teenager (around 14). I continue living this way until this day. My references are the doctrines I was raised with, in the catechisms of my youth. I don't pay too much attention to changing politics, because in studying history, I learned it is easy to get swept up in the news of the day, and that is usually too distracting from holy living.

I also follow a higher spiritual counsel to be careful in judging priests, including bishops and Popes, and I am ever mindful of my place.

I am, if anybody is, traditional Catholic. I really don't know anything else. I also don't have a strong attachment to the term "traditional Catholic" or "traditionalist" and that shows from my earliest forum activity. I never defined myself that way because there was nothing else I needed to distinguish myself from.

To have people on forums who hold particular uncertain opinions question this or try to claim I am not a "real trad" or that I somehow don't fit on this "traditional Catholic forum" is quite offensive and I don't really care to try to change myself to fit their judgement of how one should be.

I am not a heretic, schismatic, or cafeteria Catholic, and those who put a line down that they expect others to cross to be "real" traditional Catholics have put themselves across a line that Catholics cannot cross.

From my perspective, being confronted is essentially the same as asking me to leave the Church of my youth and join some new, uncertain, and less clearly defined group. Well, I am not going to do that, whether one calls oneself Catholic or not.

So stop questioning whether I am a real traditional Catholic or demanding I answer for the actions of others or explain how one's interpretations of things are right or wrong. I am not here to be a standard bearer for any given prelate: that is not my place.

I sympathize strongly with those who have experiences that caused them to question certain things and even have very different conclusions. That is how the world is: the tumult of the world does shape our perception of it. But I did not experience that and neither did I expression the Protestant assaults on the Faith, persecutions of the English, or the Roman persecutions. I am where I am because that is where God has put me and I am not going to entertain counterfactual conditional scenarios. First, I don't think that even makes sense, and secondly, one can disassemble anything by finding a scenario where one might have believed differently.

BlueInGreen:
Thank you for the intro.

I think it's fantastic that such a post exists. Sometimes people are too caught thinking they're standing up for tradition when in reality they're being, for a lack of a better word, douchebags. I think many come to this forum in good faith, worried about the Catholic Church, wanting the prevalence of modernism found within to be gone, but with that worry may come unhealthy myopic thinking.

Philip G.:

--- Quote from: BlueInGreen on January 17, 2022, 12:57:44 AM ---Thank you for the intro.

I think it's fantastic that such a post exists. Sometimes people are too caught thinking they're standing up for tradition when in reality they're being, for a lack of a better word, douchebags. I think many come to this forum in good faith, worried about the Catholic Church, wanting the prevalence of modernism found within to be gone, but with that worry may come unhealthy myopic thinking.

--- End quote ---

You really couldn't think of a better descriptor?

TerrorDæmonum:
Thanks. This is a "reintroduction" after a few repeated claims in discussions. It is useful to have a post which summarizes the response, so I can just link to it as needed. Although, it hasn't come up since I made this.

There is an interesting (to put it mildly) dynamic on this forum. It is not very active compared to how forums used to be (how this forum used to be), and there tends to be an underlying pessimism.

I think there could be cause for concern that the atmosphere and general discourse are too discouraging.

The speculative posting, doom and gloom predictions, and elevation of opinions to near doctrine are somewhat oppressive at times if one is exposed to them too much. There is also a conspiracy theory mindset that is prevalent. That can make discussions interesting to say the least.

But, I think it is possible to find discourse that is productive, edifying, and encouraging if one is careful.

There are interesting "characters" on this forum, so you may want to investigate profiles a bit before responding to any posts that seem overly confrontational or odd. Some discussions are best to avoid unless one wants to deal with certain types of people.

BlueInGreen:

--- Quote from: Philip G. on January 17, 2022, 01:07:10 AM ---
--- Quote from: BlueInGreen on January 17, 2022, 12:57:44 AM ---Thank you for the intro.

--- End quote ---

You really couldn't think of a better descriptor?

--- End quote ---

Yep. Some posts I've read so far have been exceptionally uncharitable as ironic as that may be given the descriptor I've used.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version