Women and Trousers: The Final Word

Started by TerrorDæmonum, December 28, 2021, 12:58:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TerrorDæmonum

As threatened, and as promised, here it is. For old members, this is intended to be a parody of the good old days on this forum.

For new people or those with memory problems, well, you can take it seriously if you want, but I advise you remember that your responses will be possibly remembered by women, and those wearing trousers can kick you without getting entangled. So step lively.

And eventually we'll see what the forum voted, and that should be interesting. But this is no instant gratification party...we are adults and should act like it. Anyone who guesses the results of the poll, will get a prize. Make a list of 1-6 and put numbers next to them as your entry.

And if it sparks a conversation other than that of the nameless contagion or current events from on high, all the better. If it sparks an actual discussion on the topic, I'd be surprised.

GiftOfGod

I said "no, never" because all of the women I know who are not of good character wear pants and all of the women I know who are of good character do not wear pants.
Quote from: Maximilian on December 30, 2021, 11:15:48 AM
Quote from: Goldfinch on December 30, 2021, 10:36:10 AM
Quote from: Innocent Smith on December 30, 2021, 10:25:55 AM
If attending Mass, the ordinary form as celebrated everyday around the world be sinful, then the Church no longer exists. Period.
Rather, if the NOM were the lex credendi of the Church, then the Church would no longer exist. However, the true mass and the true sacraments still exist and will hold the candle of faith until Our Lord steps in to restore His Bride to her glory.
We could compare ourselves to the Catholics in England at the time of the Reformation. Was it sinful for them to attend Cranmer's service?
We have to remind ourselves that all the machinery of the "Church" continued in place. They had priests, bishops, churches, cathedrals. But all of them were using the new "Book of Common Prayer" instead of the Catholic Mass. Ordinary lay people could see with their own eyes an enormous entity that called itself the "Church," but did the true Church still exist in that situation? Meanwhile, in small hiding places in certain homes were a handful of true priests offering the true Mass at the risk of imprisonment, torture and death.

Elizabeth.2

Nothing like a good, old-fashioned pants thread.   8)

orate

I love Thee, Jesus, my love.  Grant me the grace to love Thee always, and do with me what Thou wilt.

"Blame yourself, then change yourself.  That's where we all need to start."   Dr. Louis IX (aka "Dr. Walty")

Jayne

I personally wear dresses/skirts except when doing specific activities better suited to pants: e.g. exercising, gardening, martial arts.

I do this because I believe that historically and subconsciously women wearing pants is associated with feminism, something that I consider a great evil and wish to reject to the full extent within my ability.

I regard this as a personal choice, not something binding on other women in any way. I can easily imagine a Catholic woman of good character coming to a different conclusion than my own.
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

TerrorDæmonum

Quote from: Elizabeth.2 on December 28, 2021, 06:56:13 AM
Nothing like a good, old-fashioned pants thread. 

For the UK people, she means "trousers". In fact, all uses of the word "pants" here should be understood as a reference to trousers.

Quote from: orate on December 28, 2021, 08:28:25 AM
[hiding under chairs]

How do you think I feel? I almost had the poll have all no answers. You can see the pattern is set for that, and there is no real distinction between yes and the last no.

But I couldn't do it.

Quote from: Jayne on December 28, 2021, 08:29:43 AM
I personally wear dresses/skirts except when doing specific activities better suited to pants: e.g. exercising, gardening, martial arts.

It is certainly possible for clothing to be worn like for those activities. Historically, people did.

Roman soldiers all fought in dresses. Not really, it was a tunic, which they had hiked up and held by their belt (so, if they took the belt off, it would be far longer than we see in depictions), but its form was what we would call a dress.

Incidentally, this is why making oneself physically prepared by "girding one's loins" is used. It doesn't make sense now...one could say "sleep with your boots on" or something to get the same effect. But here is how one would have done it wearing a tunic/dress.

orate

Great to know how to gird my loins, just in case I need to fight off all of my many suitors!  :) :) :D
I love Thee, Jesus, my love.  Grant me the grace to love Thee always, and do with me what Thou wilt.

"Blame yourself, then change yourself.  That's where we all need to start."   Dr. Louis IX (aka "Dr. Walty")

Jayne

Quote from: Pæniteo on December 28, 2021, 08:41:41 AM
Quote from: Jayne on December 28, 2021, 08:29:43 AM

It is certainly possible for clothing to be worn like for those activities. Historically, people did.

I realize that it is possible, but I do not find it worth the inconvenience.  I am making a personally meaningful symbolic gesture, so I can make up my own rules for it.

TerrorDæmonum

Quote from: Jayne on December 28, 2021, 09:06:46 AM
I realize that it is possible, but I do not find it worth the inconvenience. 

I think you mean you do find it worth the inconvenience. I meant "clothing like dresses/skirts" in that statement in case it was not clear.

I was talking about ancient history in that statement around the world. "Historically" to me generally means ancient history, rather than some time in the last century or two. That isn't history. That is current events.

Jayne

Quote from: Pæniteo on December 28, 2021, 09:08:19 AM
Quote from: Jayne on December 28, 2021, 09:06:46 AM
I realize that it is possible, but I do not find it worth the inconvenience. 

I think you mean you do find it worth the inconvenience. I meant "clothing like dresses/skirts" in that statement in case it was not clear.

There are various activities for which I find it considerably more convenient/comfortable to wear pants than skirts.  It is not worth the inconvenience of wearing skirts for these, simply to be able to say that I wear skirts all the time.

TerrorDæmonum

Quote from: Jayne on December 28, 2021, 09:14:34 AM
There are various activities for which I find it considerably more convenient/comfortable to wear pants than skirts.  It is not worth the inconvenience of wearing skirts for these, simply to be able to say that I wear skirts all the time.

Oh, I mistook your meaning as mistaking my meaning.

There is certainly precedent for it though. Ancient history provides an option too, but most of the time, I'd advise against in our modern day.

That is why this passage has Peter naked:

Quote from: John 21:7
That disciple therefore whom Jesus loved, said to Peter: It is the Lord. Simon Peter, when he heard that it was the Lord, girt his coat about him, (for he was naked,) and cast himself into the sea.

If clothing were a hindrance, they removed it.

Jayne

Quote from: Pæniteo on December 28, 2021, 09:19:31 AM
If clothing were a hindrance, they removed it.

As I daresay you know, our English word "gymnasium" comes from a Greek word meaning naked.  It is, perhaps, an ancestral knowledge of this that leads people to wear yoga pants and similar fashions to the gym.

TerrorDæmonum

Quote from: Jayne on December 28, 2021, 09:26:43 AM
As I daresay you know, our English word "gymnasium" comes from a Greek word meaning naked.  It is, perhaps, an ancestral knowledge of this that leads people to wear yoga pants and similar fashions to the gym.

I actually call gyms "places to be naked" in real life. Not that it comes up much, but if it does, the people around me know what it means.

And you are right. I had originally written, "but we have more options today, not that one would know it".

Jayne

Quote from: Pæniteo on December 28, 2021, 09:35:38 AM
I actually call gyms "places to be naked" in real life.

A fitting expression, both etymologically and empirically.

drummerboy

I've told my skirt wearing wife if she goes deer hunting she is not wearing a skirt.  Not practical in any sense of the word, and the only one who will see her in pants (more like insulated overalls) is me, so I can lust after her all I want.... 8)

When we did martial arts she of course wore the uniform gi pants, not sexy in any sense of the word.  And my workplace uniform is gray dickies work pants, not really attractive either.  An old timer told me the uniform used to be white pants (food production facility), and if a woman was wearing any form of "exciting underwear" it would show through, now that is problematic.
- I'll get with the times when the times are worth getting with

"I like grumpy old cusses.  Hope to live long enough to be one" - John Wayne