Glory to God Alone

Started by TerrorDæmonum, December 25, 2021, 05:43:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TerrorDæmonum

Another thread was hijacked, and this is a continuation of a topic that was brought up in the course of it which merits defense and a response on this Christmas day.

Quote from: X. on December 24, 2021, 10:12:59 PM
Jesus says, "where two or more are gathered in my name, there I am in the midst of them."  I have all the reason in the world to discuss this subject.  I am not interested in God alone.  I want to love my neighbor as I love myself.

The opposition seems to spring from the fact that the poster is very insistent on opposing Saint Louis de Montfort, but it has lead to that bizarre post because the phrase turned up in the course of another topic.

Catholics should believe:

Quote from: Catechism of Pius X
The First Commandment

2 Q. In the words of the First Commandment: Thou shalt not have strange gods before Me, what does God command us?
A. By the words of the First Commandment: Thou shalt not have strange gods before Me, He commands us to acknowledge, adore, love and serve Him alone as our Sovereign Lord.

13 Q. What is a sacrilege?
A. A sacrilege is the profanation of a place, of a person, or of a thing consecrated to God and set apart for his worship.

22 Q. What is the difference between the honour we give to God and the honour we give to the Saints?
A. Between the honour we give to God and the honour we give to the Saints there is this difference, that we adore God because of his infinite excellence, whereas we do not adore the Saints, but honour and venerate them as God?s friends and our intercessors with Him. The honour we give to God is called Latria, that is, the worship of adoration; the honour we give to the Saints is called Dulia, that is, the veneration of the servants of God; while the special honour we give to the Blessed Virgin is called Hyperdulia, that is, a special veneration of the Mother of God.

On Charity

42 Q. What is Charity?
A. Charity is a supernatural virtue, infused into our soul by God, by which we love God above all for His own sake, and our neighbour as ourselves for the love of God.

43 Q. Why should we love God?
A. We should love God because He is the Supreme Good, infinitely good and perfect; and also, because He commands us to do so, and because of the many benefits we receive from Him.

44 Q. How are we to love God?
A. We are to love God above all things else, with our whole heart, with our whole mind, with our whole soul, and with all our strength.

45 Q. What is meant by loving God above all other things?
A. To love God above all other things means to prefer Him to all creatures, even the dearest and most perfect, and to be willing to lose everything rather than offend Him or cease to love Him.

46 Q. What is meant by loving God with our whole heart?
A. To love God with our whole heart means consecrating all our affections to Him.

47 Q. What is meant by loving God with our whole mind?
A. To love God with our whole mind means directing all our thoughts to Him.

48 Q. What is meant by loving God with our whole soul?
A. To love God with our whole soul means consecrating to Him the use of all the powers of our soul.

49 Q. What is meant by loving God with all our strength?
A. To love God with all our strength means striving to grow ever more and more in His love, and so to act that all our actions should have as their one motive and end the love of Him and the desire of pleasing Him.

50 Q. Why should we love our neighbour?
A. We should love our neighbour for the love of God, because God commands it, and because every man is made to God?s image.

"God Alone" is not a minimalism. It does not mean stripping away everything that one perceives to be "not God", like some meeting house of the most deprived of tradition Protestant sect.

It means that all is done for God, including veneration of all the angels and saints, the care for the poor and needy, all works of mercy to others, including the souls in Purgatory, and even our love for ourselves come from our love of God alone. If we are not interested in "God alone", but want to love others as ourselves, but do not love ourselves for the sake of God alone, then we are in danger of pride and idolatry.

Quote from: Gloria
Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace to men of good will. We praise Thee; we bless Thee; we adore Thee; we glorify Thee...For Thou Alone art holy; Thou alone art the Lord; Thou alone art the most high, Jesus Christ, with the Holy Spirit, in the glory of God the Father.

And this is appropriate for Christmas day, as we celebrate the Nativity in liturgy.

Philip G.

This is an abstract type of discussion derailing you have become known for.  You get shown up in a debate, and you run off and start a new thread on essentially the same subject so that one, your old missteps are not as readily observable/citable, and two, you can say the old material does not "serve the intention of this thread", and is therefore deemed irrelevant. 
For the stone shall cry out of the wall; and the timber that is between the joints of the building, shall answer.  Woe to him that buildeth a town with blood, and prepareth a city by iniquity. - Habacuc 2,11-12

TerrorDæmonum

Quote from: Philip G. on December 25, 2021, 11:47:30 AM
This is an abstract type of discussion derailing you have become known for.

Derailing? You were the first person to respond to my thread and more or less dominated all discussion on it. It was hijacked by you in your promotion of your personal ideas and strange animosity to anything associated with Saint Louis de Montfort.

QuoteYou get shown up in a debate,
What debate? I am not posting personal opinions on this matter.

Quoteand you run off and start a new thread on essentially the same subject so that one,
What do you mean? How did I "run off"? Is starting new threads for new topics somehow not how forums are supposed to be used anymore?

The original discussion about slavery was on someone's welcome thread in Coffee and Donuts, I made a single thread about Slavery and about more spiritual things to consider, and you used that thread to promote your own ideas.

In the course of that thread, you wrote that bizarre statement which was about another topic other than slavery and it merited a basic catechism response.

Quoteyour old missteps are not as readily observable/citable, and two, you can say the old material does not "serve the intention of this thread", and is therefore deemed irrelevant.

Missteps? Old material? Do you realize how weird your responses are?

Philip G.

Quote from: Pæniteo on December 25, 2021, 12:48:03 PM
Quote from: Philip G. on December 25, 2021, 11:47:30 AM
This is an abstract type of discussion derailing you have become known for.

Derailing? You were the first person to respond to my thread and more or less dominated all discussion on it. It was hijacked by you in your promotion of your personal ideas and strange animosity to anything associated with Saint Louis de Montfort.

QuoteYou get shown up in a debate,
What debate? I am not posting personal opinions on this matter.

Quoteand you run off and start a new thread on essentially the same subject so that one,
What do you mean? How did I "run off"? Is starting new threads for new topics somehow not how forums are supposed to be used anymore?

The original discussion about slavery was on someone's welcome thread in Coffee and Donuts, I made a single thread about Slavery and about more spiritual things to consider, and you used that thread to promote your own ideas.

In the course of that thread, you wrote that bizarre statement which was about another topic other than slavery and it merited a basic catechism response.

Quoteyour old missteps are not as readily observable/citable, and two, you can say the old material does not "serve the intention of this thread", and is therefore deemed irrelevant.

Missteps? Old material? Do you realize how weird your responses are?

Weird is you changing the title in threads as you memory hole a debate to usher in a new thread arguably no different except on terms you are now more comfortable with.  The below is from the thread "slavery and catholics", yet note that you have changed the title just as you create this new thread on the same. 

God Alone
« Reply #26 on: Today at 05:50:58 AM »
Say ThanksQuote
Quote from: Philip G. on December 24, 2021, 11:12:59 PM
You were the one who appealed to them in the debate that preceded and therefore led to this thread, and all you have done is appeal to them in this debate.  You wouldn't respond to my biblical references and reasoning, so now I am coming into your backyard.
This thread was not a specific promotion of Saint Louis de Montfort's works or any specific practice. It was about slavery, and how even without chattel slavery around, people are more enslaved than ever because they don't realize it, and that the sort of "freedom" the world offers is insidious slavery to the world, the flesh, and to evil.
For the stone shall cry out of the wall; and the timber that is between the joints of the building, shall answer.  Woe to him that buildeth a town with blood, and prepareth a city by iniquity. - Habacuc 2,11-12

Miriam_M

Quote from: Pæniteo on December 25, 2021, 05:43:56 AM
Another thread was hijacked, and this is a continuation of a topic that was brought up in the course of it which merits defense and a response on this Christmas day.

Quote from: X. on December 24, 2021, 10:12:59 PM
Jesus says, "where two or more are gathered in my name, there I am in the midst of them."  I have all the reason in the world to discuss this subject.  I am not interested in God alone.  I want to love my neighbor as I love myself.

The opposition seems to spring from the fact that the poster is very insistent on opposing Saint Louis de Montfort, but it has lead to that bizarre post because the phrase turned up in the course of another topic.

Catholics should believe:

Quote from: Catechism of Pius X
The First Commandment

2 Q. In the words of the First Commandment: Thou shalt not have strange gods before Me, what does God command us?
A. By the words of the First Commandment: Thou shalt not have strange gods before Me, He commands us to acknowledge, adore, love and serve Him alone as our Sovereign Lord.

13 Q. What is a sacrilege?
A. A sacrilege is the profanation of a place, of a person, or of a thing consecrated to God and set apart for his worship.

22 Q. What is the difference between the honour we give to God and the honour we give to the Saints?
A. Between the honour we give to God and the honour we give to the Saints there is this difference, that we adore God because of his infinite excellence, whereas we do not adore the Saints, but honour and venerate them as God's friends and our intercessors with Him. The honour we give to God is called Latria, that is, the worship of adoration; the honour we give to the Saints is called Dulia, that is, the veneration of the servants of God; while the special honour we give to the Blessed Virgin is called Hyperdulia, that is, a special veneration of the Mother of God.

On Charity

42 Q. What is Charity?
A. Charity is a supernatural virtue, infused into our soul by God, by which we love God above all for His own sake, and our neighbour as ourselves for the love of God.

43 Q. Why should we love God?
A. We should love God because He is the Supreme Good, infinitely good and perfect; and also, because He commands us to do so, and because of the many benefits we receive from Him.

44 Q. How are we to love God?
A. We are to love God above all things else, with our whole heart, with our whole mind, with our whole soul, and with all our strength.

45 Q. What is meant by loving God above all other things?
A. To love God above all other things means to prefer Him to all creatures, even the dearest and most perfect, and to be willing to lose everything rather than offend Him or cease to love Him.

46 Q. What is meant by loving God with our whole heart?
A. To love God with our whole heart means consecrating all our affections to Him.

47 Q. What is meant by loving God with our whole mind?
A. To love God with our whole mind means directing all our thoughts to Him.

48 Q. What is meant by loving God with our whole soul?
A. To love God with our whole soul means consecrating to Him the use of all the powers of our soul.

49 Q. What is meant by loving God with all our strength?
A. To love God with all our strength means striving to grow ever more and more in His love, and so to act that all our actions should have as their one motive and end the love of Him and the desire of pleasing Him.

50 Q. Why should we love our neighbour?
A. We should love our neighbour for the love of God, because God commands it, and because every man is made to God's image.

"God Alone" is not a minimalism. It does not mean stripping away everything that one perceives to be "not God", like some meeting house of the most deprived of tradition Protestant sect.

It means that all is done for God, including veneration of all the angels and saints, the care for the poor and needy, all works of mercy to others, including the souls in Purgatory, and even our love for ourselves come from our love of God alone. If we are not interested in "God alone", but want to love others as ourselves, but do not love ourselves for the sake of God alone, then we are in danger of pride and idolatry.

Quote from: Gloria
Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace to men of good will. We praise Thee; we bless Thee; we adore Thee; we glorify Thee...For Thou Alone art holy; Thou alone art the Lord; Thou alone art the most high, Jesus Christ, with the Holy Spirit, in the glory of God the Father.

And this is appropriate for Christmas day, as we celebrate the Nativity in liturgy.

Hello, Insanis.  Merry Christmas.