Forum improvements?

Started by Kaesekopf, October 30, 2018, 04:36:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg

The trouble is that he was TerrorDæmonum before that.  He's forever changing his ID.

Is he austistic or something?
Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

Miriam_M

Quote from: Greg on January 20, 2023, 03:19:36 AMCan we stop people from changing their user names within the same account?

https://www.suscipedomine.com/forum/index.php?topic=29924.msg606148#msg606148

1.  It makes it harder to search for posts and block people.
2.  It makes it harder to follow a thread because replies and quotes have the old username not the current one.
3.  Only very annoying forum members, like Joseph, have any excuse to do it.

Thank you, Greg.  For reference purposes, I'll link also the post I just made:
https://www.suscipedomine.com/forum/index.php?topic=29924.msg606188#msg606188

Miriam_M

Quote from: Greg on January 20, 2023, 04:24:00 AMThe trouble is that he was TerrorDæmonum before that.  He's forever changing his ID.

Is he austistic or something?

Yes, he is on the spectrum. 

Mono no aware

If the "change user name" feature gets disabled, will those of us who used it be defaulted back to our previous name?  Or will we keep our current name?  I had the absolute worst user name on the forum, and would like to stay rid of it.

andy

The rule states clearly "2) We permit users to have only one account.".

I am not sure why the owner of this site permitted Joseph to have like 3 or 4 different accounts already.

Miriam_M

Quote from: andy on January 20, 2023, 10:53:26 AMThe rule states clearly "2) We permit users to have only one account.".

I am not sure why the owner of this site permitted Joseph to have like 3 or 4 different accounts already.

More than 3 or 4, Andy.

Lynne

Quote from: andy on January 20, 2023, 10:53:26 AMThe rule states clearly "2) We permit users to have only one account.".

They're not different accounts, at least not now. We can change our user names which is what Joseph did.
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

AlfredtheGreat

Quote from: Lynne on January 20, 2023, 03:43:26 PM

They're not different accounts, at least not now. We can change our user names which is what Joseph did.

Don't look now but he did it again. I think that's twice in one day. Now it's his name in Greek.

Something tells me he likes being the topic of conversation.
These people are crazy

Michael Wilson

Quote from: Mono no aware on January 20, 2023, 10:45:39 AMIf the "change user name" feature gets disabled, will those of us who used it be defaulted back to our previous name?  Or will we keep our current name?  I had the absolute worst user name on the forum, and would like to stay rid of it.
I thought that your old handle was one of the coolest (apart from Stu-Cool).
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Acolyte

He doesn't have multiple accounts. In case you missed it, if you go to your account settings on your profile page you will see the option to change your username.

Using that feature does not increase your number of accounts. It changes your username if you choose to do so and that's it. 

It can't be used to hide anything or fool anybody.
"From the moment we awake in the morning, let us pray continually in the words of holy David: Turn away my eyes, that they may not behold vanity"
St Alphonsus

"I will set my face against you, and you shall fall down before your enemies, and shall be made subject to them that hate you, you shall flee when no man pursueth you"
Leviticus 26:17

"Behold, O God our protector : and look upon the face of Thy Christ" (Ps. 79:20) Here is devotion to the face of Jesus Christ as prophesized by David."
Fr. Lawrence Daniel Carney III

Mono no aware

Quote from: Michael Wilson on January 20, 2023, 06:02:50 PMI thought that your old handle was one of the coolest (apart from Stu-Cool).

Thank you, but if you listen to the Rihanna song Pon de Replay from which it was taken, you will understand just how bad it was.  Not that the words themselves are problematic, they're merely a patois for "put it on replay."  But the song itself is execrable dance-hop.  It was actually not my original user name; I chose it in a fit of peevishness when some users on here were speaking positively of hip-hop.  I think my new one is a definite improvement.

Miriam_M

Quote from: Acolyte on January 20, 2023, 07:57:30 PMIt changes your username if you choose to do so and that's it. 

I can see a reason/need to change a username once.  A transparent (simple) person will announce it somewhere, and that will be the end of it.  Repeated, arbitrary, or sly changes are in fact an attempt to hide and deceive.

We will have to disagree on this point, but it appears that a number of members do hold a view similar to mine.

A person can do many things allowable by regulations, rules or even civil law, but the manner and frequency in which he or she does so will reveal intent.

Maximilian

Quote from: Mono no aware on January 20, 2023, 10:45:39 AMIf the "change user name" feature gets disabled, will those of us who used it be defaulted back to our previous name?  Or will we keep our current name?  I had the absolute worst user name on the forum, and would like to stay rid of it.

We shall have to refer to you from now on as the "Shining Genji."

red solo cup

The name Mr Brocklehurst comes to mind.
non impediti ratione cogitationis

Acolyte

Quote from: Miriam_M on January 20, 2023, 10:36:42 PM
Quote from: Acolyte on January 20, 2023, 07:57:30 PMIt changes your username if you choose to do so and that's it. 

I can see a reason/need to change a username once.  A transparent (simple) person will announce it somewhere, and that will be the end of it.  Repeated, arbitrary, or sly changes are in fact an attempt to hide and deceive.

We will have to disagree on this point, but it appears that a number of members do hold a view similar to mine.

A person can do many things allowable by regulations, rules or even civil law, but the manner and frequency in which he or she does so will reveal intent.
Well in Joseph's case he didn't hide anything or deceive anyone. His posting style and content remain the same each time he changes his username.

None of the arguments, though valid/understandable concerns, apply to Joseph's use of the forum feature.

My only interest in the matter is informing people that it is in fact an option allowed currently and not an issue of multiple accounts. And hopefully, prevent members from bearing false witness due to not understanding the difference in the definitions of "forum account" and "profile options".

"From the moment we awake in the morning, let us pray continually in the words of holy David: Turn away my eyes, that they may not behold vanity"
St Alphonsus

"I will set my face against you, and you shall fall down before your enemies, and shall be made subject to them that hate you, you shall flee when no man pursueth you"
Leviticus 26:17

"Behold, O God our protector : and look upon the face of Thy Christ" (Ps. 79:20) Here is devotion to the face of Jesus Christ as prophesized by David."
Fr. Lawrence Daniel Carney III