The Parish Hall > Family Life

Downside of being fluent in multiple languages from young age.

<< < (16/16)

MundaCorMeum:

--- Quote from: Heinrich on April 05, 2021, 07:14:16 PM ---
--- Quote from: Michael Wilson on April 04, 2021, 09:51:08 PM --- some had both French and German speaking nannies.

--- End quote ---

Très gut!

--- End quote ---

I have both French and German ancestry.  But, the French side won out, and that's the only language I ever delved into.  Both Cajun French and "regular" French. 

GiftOfGod:
Knowing more than one language doesn't make someone multicultural. Old-time INS guys had to know English and Spanish MINIMUM in order to have the pleasure of trying to prevent multiculturalism in the USA. If they wanted a better chance to be assigned to the Northern Border, an International Airport, a foreign airport (pre-clearance), or have a chance of being promoted then they had had better know more than the minimum (French was the second most common). Lots of employers of illegal aliens know Spanish but only speak it in the course of business and don't even eat tacos at home.

dymphnaw:

--- Quote from: Philip G. on April 06, 2021, 06:22:11 PM --- Who was it that named John the baptist?  It was his father.  Post Fall, it is to be the father to speak the first words to the child, in the form of their name, lest the woman, in her current state of pain, instead of blessing the child with a good name, curse the child as a result of her labors, by giving them a bad name. 
 or

--- End quote ---

Every time I think I've read the most bizarre thing ever on Suscipie Domine somebody tops it.

Insanis:
Jewish naming ceremonies happened days after birth. Brit milah for boys and Zeved habat for girls. So the ceremonial aspect has nothing to do with pain of childbirth, unless one believes women are cursing their babies 8 days after they are born.

An angel named John, not his father:

--- Quote from: Luke 1 ---But the angel said to him: Fear not, Zachary, for thy prayer is heard; and thy wife Elizabeth shall bear thee a son, and thou shalt call his name John
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version