Evidence for historical Jesus?

Started by Greg, March 22, 2024, 09:47:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg

What are the arguments for historical Jesus.

It's common to hear from atheists that there's no independent evidence that Jesus existed.

What arguments are there to refute this?

Mary and Joseph attended a census in Bethlehem.  Presumably the Romans had a record of that census and could have narrowed down every person who came to a small village of Bethlehem with ease.  Would not the Roman emperors who wanted to stamp out Christians have checked the census to confirm Jesus existed if there was any doubt?
Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

ChairmanJoeAintMyPrez

Quote from: Greg on March 22, 2024, 09:47:43 AMIt's common to hear from atheists that there's no independent evidence that Jesus existed.

It's excruciatingly stupid.  There are numerous non-Christian accounts of His life.  Thirty seconds of googling would disabuse any of them of this notion.
this page left intentionally blank

LausTibiChriste

Check out Dr. John Bergsma. He had a fascinating talk on Matt Fradd's podcast (please don't shoot me for admitting that, I swear I'm not a modernist)...and he had all sorts of amazing insights into the historicity of the Bible. I can't remember if he touched on Jesus specifically, but I do recall he had some insight into how the way and the timings of the Gospels prove that Jesus had to have existed.
Lord Jesus Christ, Son Of God, Have Mercy On Me A Sinner

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

Communism is as American as Apple Pie

Greg

Quote from: ChairmanJoeAintMyPrez on March 22, 2024, 01:56:28 PM
Quote from: Greg on March 22, 2024, 09:47:43 AMIt's common to hear from atheists that there's no independent evidence that Jesus existed.

It's excruciatingly stupid.  There are numerous non-Christian accounts of His life.  Thirty seconds of googling would disabuse any of them of this notion.

I thought there was only one.  Josepheus
Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

ChairmanJoeAintMyPrez

Quote from: Greg on March 22, 2024, 03:12:25 PM
Quote from: ChairmanJoeAintMyPrez on March 22, 2024, 01:56:28 PM

I thought there was only one.  Josepheus

There are more.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sources_for_the_historicity_of_Jesus

Further:

QuoteThe question of historicity was settled in scholarship in the early 20th century, and mythicism is rejected as a fringe theory by virtually all mainstream scholars of antiquity, and has been considered fringe for more than two centuries.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christ_myth_theory

LausTibiChriste

Lord Jesus Christ, Son Of God, Have Mercy On Me A Sinner

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

Communism is as American as Apple Pie

josh987654321

Quote from: LausTibiChriste on March 22, 2024, 03:30:15 PMWhat about the Shroud too?

They claim carbon dating put it around 1200 AD, however, it was later claimed this testing was faulty as it was done on a corner piece which was repaired around 1200 AD and apparently carbon dating elsewhere put it around 33 AD.

I don't have the sources for this as I read it a long time ago now when I did look into it and personally I believe it is the real shroud, but that's as far as I can go on that at the moment.

Quote from: ChairmanJoeAintMyPrez on March 22, 2024, 03:21:19 PMThere are more.

Thanks, I'll give those a read, I know Wikipedia can be ordinary at times and I've found them omitting some things in the past, however, as a general guide it's rather handy sometimes, can certainly help point in the right direction sometimes.

One thing that can be troublesome, is the insistence of 'unbiased' sources, as nobody leaves an encounter with Christ 'unbiased' as the very magnitude and implications of such events cannot leave one totally indifferent to such divine revelation IMO.

God Bless 
"I will not delude you with prospects of peace and consolations; on the contrary, prepare for great battles. Know that you are now on a great stage where all heaven and earth are watching you. Fight like a knight, so that I can reward you. Do not be unduly fearful, because you are not alone." (Diary, 1760)

"It is in My Passion that you must seek light and strength." (Diary, 654)

"I never reject a contrite heart." (Diary, 1485)

ChairmanJoeAintMyPrez

Quote from: josh987654321 on March 23, 2024, 07:48:19 AMThanks, I'll give those a read, I know Wikipedia can be ordinary at times and I've found them omitting some things in the past, however, as a general guide it's rather handy sometimes, can certainly help point in the right direction sometimes.

The way I approach Wikipedia is this:

If the demonic libtard agenda stands to gain from deceiving me about a particular proposition, then I can't trust Wikipedia's stance on that proposition.

But when Wikipedia says that Christ definitely existed?  Yeah, I'm fine with that.

Joseph_3

Quote from: Greg on March 22, 2024, 09:47:43 AMWhat are the arguments for historical Jesus.

It's common to hear from atheists that there's no independent evidence that Jesus existed.

What arguments are there to refute this?

Mary and Joseph attended a census in Bethlehem.  Presumably the Romans had a record of that census and could have narrowed down every person who came to a small village of Bethlehem with ease.  Would not the Roman emperors who wanted to stamp out Christians have checked the census to confirm Jesus existed if there was any doubt?

Just use the usual ones. It doesn't matter what grand evidence you might procure, they'll reject it anyway.

TradGranny

Have the athiests read Will and Ariel Durrant (both athiests) eleven-volume series of books called The Story of Civilization. See the book on Christ and Caesar. Back when I was a lost atheist, it convinced me that Jesus Christ really lived, died and was Resurrected.
To have courage for whatever comes in life - everything lies in that.
Saint Teresa of Avila