Ethiopian Prayer Rope (Mequteria) prayers

Started by aquinas138, September 10, 2020, 11:57:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aquinas138

The Mequteria, which is the prayer rope used by Ethiopian Christians, is usually a rope tied in a series of knots, much like a Greek komboskini or Russian chotki, though it is also seen made of large beads. It generally has either 41 knots (for the 39 lashes Christ received, plus the wounds to His side and sacred Head) or 64 knots (in Ethipoian tradition, the age of the Mother of God at her Dormition and Assumption). Monastics sometimes have a mequteria of 100 or 300 knots.

In the prayer rule below, whenever it directs "41 times," this would be adjusted for the number of knots on the particular prayer rope. This rule goes around the mequteria several times!

1. Our Father, Who art in Heaven, hallowed be Thy Name. Thy Kingdom come, Thy will be done, on earth as it is in Heaven. Give us this day our daily bread, and forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us; and lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one. O, Our Lady Virgin Mary, we hail thee by the salutation of Angel Gabriel. Thou are virgin in thy mind. Thou are virgin in thy body. Hail Mary, Mother of Almighty God.  Blessed art thou among women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb. Rejoice Mary full of grace, the Lord is with thee. Pray for us to thy beloved Son, Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, so that He may forgive us our sins now and forever. Amen. (12 times)

2. Lord, have mercy on us. (41 times)

3. In the name of Mary, Lord, have mercy on us. (41 times)

4. Kyrie, eleison. (41 times, always in Greek)

5. Sador, Alador, Danat, Adera, Rodas. (41 times. These are the Ethiopic words referring to the piercing on Christ's ribs by the lance, the piercing of His right hand, the piercing of His left palm, the piercing of His right foot, and the piercing of His left foot, respectively.)

6. O God! (41 times)

7. O Christ! (41 times)

8. Save us from wrath, and deliver us by Thy mercy, in the name of Mary, Thy Mother. (41 times)

9. Hear us, our God and Savior! (41 times)

10. Elohe! (41 times, pronounced "El-o-hee," which is the "Eloi" mentioned in Matt. 27:46)

11. Ye! Ye! Ye! My God, see me! (41 times, pronounced as "yay" and means "woe is me.")

12. O God, according to Thy mercy and not according to our sin. (12 times)

13. Lord, remember us in Thy Kingdom. (12 times)

14. Hail Mary, we bow unto thee. Our Mother Mary, we pray unto thee. We beseech thee to protect us from the evil beast. O Virgin, in the name of Anna thy mother and Joachim thy father, bless our congregation today! Amen.

15. The prayer of the Blessed Virgin Mary Mother of God: My soul doth magnify the Lord, And my spirit hath rejoiced in God my Savior. For He hath regarded the low estate of His handmaiden: for, behold, from henceforth all generations shall call me blessed. For He that is mighty hath done to me great things; and holy is His name. And His mercy is on them that fear Him from generation to generation. He hath shewed strength with His arm; He hath scattered the proud in the imagination of their hearts. He hath put down the mighty from their seats, and exalted them of low degree. He hath filled the hungry with good things; and the rich He hath sent empty away. He hath helped his servant Israel, in remembrance of his mercy; As He spake to our fathers, to Abraham, and to his seed for ever. Amen. (7 times)
What shall we call you, O full of grace? * Heaven? for you have shone forth the Sun of Righteousness. * Paradise? for you have brought forth the Flower of immortality. * Virgin? for you have remained incorrupt. * Pure Mother? for you have held in your holy embrace your Son, the God of all. * Entreat Him to save our souls.