What are you currently reading?

Started by Francisco Suárez, December 26, 2012, 09:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Non Nobis

Quote from: Gardener on March 31, 2019, 10:11:53 PM
Quote from: Heinrich on March 31, 2019, 09:23:58 PM
Quote from: Gardener on March 31, 2019, 11:22:00 AM
This morning saw my finishing of the Psalms. I had been doing about 2 chapters a day. Some days more for the really short ones.

Get Bellarmine's commentaries.

Got that for my mother-in-law for Christmas. I really should buy my own copy.

I just bought that for my Kindle during the past week!  My Kindle is encouraging me to read it... ;D
[Matthew 8:26]  And Jesus saith to them: Why are you fearful, O ye of little faith? Then rising up he commanded the winds, and the sea, and there came a great calm.

[Job  38:1-5]  Then the Lord answered Job out of a whirlwind, and said: [2] Who is this that wrappeth up sentences in unskillful words? [3] Gird up thy loins like a man: I will ask thee, and answer thou me. [4] Where wast thou when I laid up the foundations of the earth? tell me if thou hast understanding. [5] Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it?

Jesus, Mary, I love Thee! Save souls!

red solo cup

The Medieval Underworld by Andrew McCall
non impediti ratione cogitationis

MilesChristi

The world is charged with the grandeur of God.
    It will flame out, like shining from shook foil;
    It gathers to a greatness, like the ooze of oil
Crushed. Why do men then now not reck his rod?
Generations have trod, have trod, have trod;
    And all is seared with trade; bleared, smeared with toil;
    And wears man's smudge and shares man's smell: the soil
Is bare now, nor can foot feel, being shod.

And for all this, nature is never spent;
    There lives the dearest freshness deep down things;
And though the last lights off the black West went
    Oh, morning, at the brown brink eastward, springs —
Because the Holy Ghost over the bent
    World broods with warm breast and with ah! bright wings.

Philip G.

I just started reading Tortilla Flat by John Steinbeck.  I am really enjoying it so far.
For the stone shall cry out of the wall; and the timber that is between the joints of the building, shall answer.  Woe to him that buildeth a town with blood, and prepareth a city by iniquity. - Habacuc 2,11-12

red solo cup

The Armada - 400th Anniversary Edition by Garrett Mattingly

Prayerful

Mystery of the Last Supper, Sir Colin J Humphreys, Professor of Materials Science in Cambridge. Heard of this via Fr Longnecker's blog, which while hardly trad, can be very interesting. The author argues that Jesus and the Disciples worked with a traditional, pre-Babylonian Exile calendar like Essenes and maybe the Samaritans (and a bit like how trads keep the Catholic calendar as was), making the apparent contradictions between the Evangelists to be apparent but not real.
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

Francisco Suárez

It's been a while since I posted in this thread.

Somewhat humorously, I'm getting through Europe's Tragedy: A New History of the Thirty Years War by Peter H. Wilson again. I highly recommend it for anyone who's interested in 17th century Europe. The chapters that describe the meticulous inner workings of the Holy Roman Empire are really fascinating.

I also started reading Pope Benedict's Jesus of Nazareth book covering Holy Week. It's an inspiring work that illustrates the symbolism of Jesus' actions, with reference to the Old Testament and the prophecies contained therein.

Francisco Suárez

Quote from: Prayerful on February 13, 2019, 04:54:27 PM
Parish priest has The Lion of Münster: the bishop who roared against the Nazis, Daniel Utrecht of the Oratory, as book of the month, so reading it.

I'd love to hear what you thought of this book. August von Galen is a hero of mine, so if it's any decent, I'll grab it.

Jacob

Finished Dracula the other day, now working on Catch-22.
"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
--Neal Stephenson

Vetus Ordo

Quote from: Jacob on May 08, 2019, 04:06:23 PM
Finished Dracula the other day...

What did you think of it?

I read it many years ago but I really enjoyed it. The epistolary format suited it well.
DISPOSE OUR DAYS IN THY PEACE, AND COMMAND US TO BE DELIVERED FROM ETERNAL DAMNATION, AND TO BE NUMBERED IN THE FLOCK OF THINE ELECT.

Jacob

Quote from: Vetus Ordo on May 09, 2019, 08:26:24 AM
Quote from: Jacob on May 08, 2019, 04:06:23 PM
Finished Dracula the other day...

What did you think of it?

I first read this when i was ten or so. Dracula! Vampires and coffins and gothic horror! How did it go? Let's just say ten-year-old-I wasn't prepared for its epistolary nature, with letters, diaries, clippings, and memoranda (I didn't even know what that word meant) woven together to tell the story with their late Victorian vocabulary. I made it to the end, but I didn't get all there was to get out of it.

Almost thirty years later, I was much better prepared to make my way to Transylvania with Jonathan Harker at the start of the book. It really moved right along. There were definite moments where I was turning pages to see what would happen next. Someone I was talking to called it a technothriller and I agree it is an apt word.

One thing I was surprised by was all the things Dracula could do that don't survive into the modern conception of vampires. To be able to go about by day was really interesting. That did lead to not a little confusion on my part when when and why he would need to rest in his native earth. Just after feeding?

The end was really good with the chase from the Black Sea to Castle Dracula told from the various points of view and then the final confrontation where everyone came together to do their part. Everything was wrapped up and the forces of good overcame Dracula and his un-dead lady-vampires.

The Guardian in 2014 listed it as number 31 of the 100 best novels. That seems fair to me.
"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
--Neal Stephenson

MilesChristi

The world is charged with the grandeur of God.
    It will flame out, like shining from shook foil;
    It gathers to a greatness, like the ooze of oil
Crushed. Why do men then now not reck his rod?
Generations have trod, have trod, have trod;
    And all is seared with trade; bleared, smeared with toil;
    And wears man's smudge and shares man's smell: the soil
Is bare now, nor can foot feel, being shod.

And for all this, nature is never spent;
    There lives the dearest freshness deep down things;
And though the last lights off the black West went
    Oh, morning, at the brown brink eastward, springs —
Because the Holy Ghost over the bent
    World broods with warm breast and with ah! bright wings.

red solo cup

Of Men and Mountains by William O. Douglas

ChristusRex

Humility of Heart by Fr. Cajetan Mary da Bergamo

This is my 3rd time reading it in roughly 5 months.
This is probably my favorite spiritual book. Second place goes to The Sinner's Guide and of course, just about anything St. Alphonsus has authored.

I will have to read this book for the rest of my life in order to conquer my pride!
The Lord our God from tree doth reign

TheReturnofLive

"The task of the modern educator is not to cut down jungles but irrigate deserts." - C.S. Lewis