Are Octopi Aliens?

Started by red solo cup, May 20, 2018, 08:30:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

red solo cup

non impediti ratione cogitationis

Michael Wilson

QuoteThe genetic divergence of Octopus from its ancestral coleoid sub-class is very great ... Its large brain and sophisticated nervous system, camera-like eyes, flexible bodies, instantaneous camouflage via the ability to switch color and shape are just a few of the striking features that appear suddenly on the evolutionary scene.
Yes, the sudden appearance of features that have not existed in any other species either means that the creature dropped out of space, or was created by God. Heaven help any scientist who would have the temerity to propose the second and only real solution.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Jayne

The plural of octopus is either "octopuses" using English plrual formation rules or "octopodes" retaining the original Greek plural. It is not derived from a second declension Latin noun.
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

red solo cup

Quote from: Jayne on May 20, 2018, 09:20:36 AM
The plural of octopus is either "octopuses" using English plrual formation rules or "octopodes" retaining the original Greek plural. It is not derived from a second declension Latin noun.
:toth:

Jayne

Quote from: red solo cup on May 20, 2018, 10:09:33 AM

Thank you for not shaming me for my pedantry.  I try to stop myself but am unable to resist responding to people saying "octopi".

red solo cup

Quote from: Jayne on May 20, 2018, 10:17:13 AM

Thank you for not shaming me for my pedantry.  I try to stop myself but am unable to resist responding to people saying "octopi".
What about hippopotomuses?

Jayne

Quote from: red solo cup on May 20, 2018, 10:18:45 AM
What about hippopotomuses?

"Hippopotamuses" is correct and one may also use "hippopotami".  Although originally from Greek roots (hippos= horse, potamos= river), it entered entered English through Latin and can take a Latin-style plural.

And just to say something on topic, I will add to Michael Wilson's point.  I find it noteworthy that they find this evidence for aliens rather than evidence against evolution.

Fleur-de-Lys

If you hadn't said it, Jayne, I would have been compelled to!  :D

Maximilian

Thank you for not shaming me for my pedantry. 

I, on the other hand, am very upset that a potentially interesting discussion on a topic in which I have a great deal of interest has been fatally side-tracked.

Jayne

Quote from: Maximilian on May 20, 2018, 05:18:07 PM
I, on the other hand, am very upset that a potentially interesting discussion on a topic in which I have a great deal of interest has been fatally side-tracked.

Let's try to restore it.  What aspect of the topic did you find most interesting?

Maximilian

Quote from: Jayne on May 20, 2018, 05:25:44 PM
Quote from: Maximilian on May 20, 2018, 05:18:07 PM

Let's try to restore it.  What aspect of the topic did you find most interesting?

I've long been fascinated by octopi and what they reveal about intelligence. Although they are a creature apparently without any intelligence at all, they routinely outsmart scientists who try to keep them in captivity.

Their existence forces one to re-consider the accepted model of brain->intelligence / matter ->consciousness.

Similarly, one can consider flying insects, which weigh only a fraction of a gram in their entirety, and yet which are capable of performing visual processing while maintaining flight, far beyond the capability of our fastest computers.

But while insects are amazing, octopi are in a category of their own.

Speaking of aliens, this reminds me of a Vulcan ship uncloaking.

red solo cup

dolores

Quote from: Maximilian on May 20, 2018, 08:43:41 PMSpeaking of aliens, this reminds me of a Vulcan ship uncloaking.

Vulcan ships don't have cloaking devices.  Perhaps you meant Romulan.

Fleur-de-Lys

Wow, octopodes really bring out the nerd! Another alien feature?

Jayne

Quote from: dolores on May 21, 2018, 09:16:45 AM
Quote from: Maximilian on May 20, 2018, 08:43:41 PMSpeaking of aliens, this reminds me of a Vulcan ship uncloaking.

Vulcan ships don't have cloaking devices.  Perhaps you meant Romulan.

This is exactly what I was thinking and would have posted already but I was trying to hold back. I might even have gone into the historic and genetic links between Vulcans and Romulans.

Maybe we are just fated to be distracted from talking about octopodes.  Or maybe, they don't want us to talk about this.  Maybe they have some way to control us.   :o