List of Top 5 Movies Please?

Started by Quo Vadis, February 03, 2013, 10:57:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tmw89

Quote from: Ben on February 09, 2013, 03:01:45 PM
I'm still waiting for tmw's top 100 list.  :(

Didn't realize you were serious!

I'll make a new thread about it this upcoming week.
Quote from: Bishop WilliamsonThe "promise to respect" as Church law the New Code of Canon Law is to respect a number of supposed laws directly contrary to Church doctrine.

---

http://tradblogs.blogspot.com

NOW OPEN:  A new Trad forum featuring Catholic books, information, and discussion!

Heinrich

Isn't Henry V Tudor propaganda to the exclusion of the French? If so, nein, Danke.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Gottmitunsalex

Quote from: Heinrich on February 09, 2013, 05:30:08 PM
Isn't Henry V Tudor propaganda to the exclusion of the French? If so, nein, Danke.
I don't think he was a Tudor. Tudors came after his death.
"Nothing is more miserable than those people who never failed to attack their own salvation. When there was need to observe the Law, they trampled it under foot. Now that the Law has ceased to bind, they obstinately strive to observe it. What could be more pitiable that those who provoke God not only by transgressing the Law but also by keeping it? But at any rate the Jews say that they, too, adore God. God forbid that I say that. No Jew adores God! Who say so? The Son of God say so. For he said: "If you were to know my Father, you would also know me. But you neither know me nor do you know my Father". Could I produce a witness more trustworthy than the Son of God?"  St. John Chrysostom  Sunday Homily

"The two goals of the Jews: The universal domination of the world and the destruction of Catholicism, out of hatred for Christ" --Mgr. Jouin

Heinrich

Quote from: Gottmitunsalex on February 09, 2013, 05:41:42 PM
Quote from: Heinrich on February 09, 2013, 05:30:08 PM
I don't think he was a Tudor. Tudors came after his death.

Through marriage, then?
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Quo Vadis

Well I see this thread is a good stepping stone to tmw89's upcoming Top 100 thread.  Maybe that'll be a killer thread.  But I really just wanted top 5 (or 10) so I can work with it with minimal confusion.  I have plenty to work with, now.  Plus I have the two or three other movie threads I can draw from.  My son and I are finishing up a couple movies we had already rented.  Then I'm ready to dive in!
Since Christ Himself has said, "This is My Body" who shall dare to doubt that It is His Body?
-- St Cyril of Jerusalem

Ben

Quote from: tmw89 on February 09, 2013, 04:15:47 PM

Looking forward to it!

Gottmitunsalex

What about The last Samurai.
Kind of reminds me of the new conciliar and the Traditional Church.
"Nothing is more miserable than those people who never failed to attack their own salvation. When there was need to observe the Law, they trampled it under foot. Now that the Law has ceased to bind, they obstinately strive to observe it. What could be more pitiable that those who provoke God not only by transgressing the Law but also by keeping it? But at any rate the Jews say that they, too, adore God. God forbid that I say that. No Jew adores God! Who say so? The Son of God say so. For he said: "If you were to know my Father, you would also know me. But you neither know me nor do you know my Father". Could I produce a witness more trustworthy than the Son of God?"  St. John Chrysostom  Sunday Homily

"The two goals of the Jews: The universal domination of the world and the destruction of Catholicism, out of hatred for Christ" --Mgr. Jouin

Irenaeus G. Saintonge

Quote from: Gottmitunsalex on February 10, 2013, 10:30:15 PM

I felt that vibe as well. Although the movie was a tad one-sided. That is fine, of course, for the sake of a good story.
"This is that disciple who giveth testimony of these things, and hath written these things; and we know that his testimony is true. "
Jn:21:24

????????????

Heinrich

Quote from: Gottmitunsalex on February 10, 2013, 10:30:15 PM

Good swordplay in that one.

Ben

What's taking you so long?

tmw89

Quote from: Ben on February 17, 2013, 07:50:01 PM

What's taking you so long?

Been thinking about them a lot - whittling it down to 100 is hard!

Either by the wee hours of the morning or at some point tomorrow by the latest, it'll be in this subforum.

EDIT:  added the strikethrough; still whittling it down  :-[
Quote from: Bishop WilliamsonThe "promise to respect" as Church law the New Code of Canon Law is to respect a number of supposed laws directly contrary to Church doctrine.

---

http://tradblogs.blogspot.com

NOW OPEN:  A new Trad forum featuring Catholic books, information, and discussion!

percival

The Last Crusade, 1989
Das Boot, 1981
Papillon, 1973
The Searchers, 1956
Patton, 1970

Are all good. But in no particular order I guess