Anyone got a robot vacuum cleaner, Roomba ìRobot?

Started by Greg, December 05, 2023, 01:36:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg

Just bought one second hand to see if we like it.  They are damned expensive new.

I can see you have to keep them pretty clean and not have anything like rubber bands or pea shingle on the floor.

Certain things they don't like.

They do pick up stuff though and useful under furniture.

I think their biggest advantage is they clean everyday while you sleep.  That said you need reasonably uncluttered floors

My concern is how many times it will do a 2am sweep and I will find it stuck in the morning under a sofa.
Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

LausTibiChriste

Wife was looking at it but our tiny apartment is cluttered af so wouldn't work well. Plus my son would end up with no more Lego in about a week.

We're going with a Dyson - our current vacuum is a p.o.s. and I hate dirty floors
Lord Jesus Christ, Son Of God, Have Mercy On Me A Sinner

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

Communism is as American as Apple Pie

The Curt Jester

Quote from: LausTibiChriste on December 05, 2023, 03:45:44 PMWife was looking at it but our tiny apartment is cluttered af so wouldn't work well. Plus my son would end up with no more Lego in about a week.

We're going with a Dyson - our current vacuum is a p.o.s. and I hate dirty floors

They make a Lego vacuum.  Separates the Lego into a special compartment.  You just need a Lego Roomba.
The royal feast was done; the King
Sought some new sport to banish care,
And to his jester cried: "Sir Fool,
Kneel now, and make for us a prayer!"

The jester doffed his cap and bells,
And stood the mocking court before;
They could not see the bitter smile
Behind the painted grin he wore.

He bowed his head, and bent his knee
Upon the Monarch's silken stool;
His pleading voice arose: "O Lord,
Be merciful to me, a fool!"

drummerboy

But wouldn't it have a dust canister that one could sort through to find toys inadvertently sucked up?  Unlike the old bag vacuums where you were screwed unless you wanted to make a huge mess.
- I'll get with the times when the times are worth getting with

"I like grumpy old cusses.  Hope to live long enough to be one" - John Wayne

Lynne

I have a eufy (made by Anker, a quality electronics manufacturer), much more reasonably priced.

Yes, it's a major pain to prep for the vacuum's run because of power cords, cables, etc. Also, the little filter in the machine needs to be rinsed frequently. But it does a great job in the living room/dining room. I only run it when I'm awake and can supervise it.
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Greg

Yep, I am discovering the drawbacks now.  It hates rubber bands they foul it up, and can really only run unsupervised if you prep the floor and there are no places to get stuck.  The idea of it vacuuming when you sleep is a bit of a myth.

However, If I throw all the children's stuff onto their beds then lock the machine in their rooms, they are forced to tidy at least some of their stuff which is a good thing it terms of keeping their rooms tidy.  Locked in for 15 minutes per room it does a decent job.  The bin fills up with dirt.

Very good for after meals as stuff always falls from the table.

Very good for spot cleaning around entrance hall doorways where leaves and mud and sand comes in, (we live in a sandy area).  Used daily here it keeps the house clean.

Not bad on carpets as long as you have shortpile carpets.
Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

The Curt Jester

Quote from: drummerboy on December 06, 2023, 12:50:14 AMBut wouldn't it have a dust canister that one could sort through to find toys inadvertently sucked up?  Unlike the old bag vacuums where you were screwed unless you wanted to make a huge mess.

A water vacuum works fairly well.  Lego floats, so the little pieces come to the top of the bin unless they are stuck in a clump of hair.
The royal feast was done; the King
Sought some new sport to banish care,
And to his jester cried: "Sir Fool,
Kneel now, and make for us a prayer!"

The jester doffed his cap and bells,
And stood the mocking court before;
They could not see the bitter smile
Behind the painted grin he wore.

He bowed his head, and bent his knee
Upon the Monarch's silken stool;
His pleading voice arose: "O Lord,
Be merciful to me, a fool!"

Mushroom

They seem to get lower in price on Amazon, like $200-300 and there are knock-offs.

Greg

Quote from: Lynne on December 06, 2023, 03:24:43 AMI have a eufy (made by Anker, a quality electronics manufacturer), much more reasonably priced.

Yes, it's a major pain to prep for the vacuum's run because of power cords, cables, etc. Also, the little filter in the machine needs to be rinsed frequently. But it does a great job in the living room/dining room. I only run it when I'm awake and can supervise it.

Thanks for the tip.  They look good.  I might sell my 2 roombas on ebay and spend the proceeds on a brand new eufy

james03

QuoteWe're going with a Dyson

I got one of those cyclone type vacuums.  I was suspicious if the cyclone would work.  Son-of-a-gun it works like a champ.  And without that vacuum bag, it really pulls a vacuum.  When you are done, you just pull out the tray and dump it in the trash.
"But he that doth not believe, is already judged: because he believeth not in the name of the only begotten Son of God (Jn 3:18)."

"All sorrow leads to the foot of the Cross.  Weep for your sins."

"Although He should kill me, I will trust in Him"

LausTibiChriste

Quote from: james03 on December 06, 2023, 02:22:03 PM
QuoteWe're going with a Dyson

I got one of those cyclone type vacuums.  I was suspicious if the cyclone would work.  Son-of-a-gun it works like a champ.  And without that vacuum bag, it really pulls a vacuum.  When you are done, you just pull out the tray and dump it in the trash.

I was suspicious too, but me Mom got one and I was trying it at her place and it's awesome. And it's actually kind of fun to use.
Lord Jesus Christ, Son Of God, Have Mercy On Me A Sinner

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

Communism is as American as Apple Pie

Greg

I am getting used to the Roomba now and pretty expert at maintaining it.

Have 5 of them now.  Giving them away to family members and one to the church to clean the carpet of the tea room after each mass.

Joseph_3

They're practically a novelty. My family had one briefly last year and it didn't do very well.

The first time I saw one was in 2019. I only got a quick glimpse of it before it went around a corner. I thought it was a possessed trashcan lid.

JoeFL77

I have an I7 Roomba.  The mapping software is what sets it apart from the rest.  I can select which rooms I want done.  I have the base under a table in back of a loveseat. It goes forward 2 feet, left 2 1/2 feet then forward into the living room or to other room.  Then it finds its way back home.

moneil

I just finished a round of vacuum cleaner shopping (a robot wasn't on my list but this thread has "expanded" ;D).

Though sometimes price needs to be considered (one can't spend money they don't have, sometimes an item needs to be procured even if it can't be "top shelf") my general principal, as appropriate and possible, is to trade with a local business, invest in quality, and consider used when available.

I had the cash to do it right, and at age 72 I wanted this to be the last vacuum cleaner I would need to buy.  I went to the two local independent vacuum cleaner shops to see what they had.  Fellow parishioners (husband and wife) who had a local sewing machine and vacuum shop where I purchased both my last vacuum and sewing machine have retired and closed their shop, but they were gracious consultants.  A college fraternity brother's (we're not contemporaries) in-laws have a vacuum shop on the far side of WA state from me, and because of the connection they graciously offered great advice, though I wouldn't be buying from them as I was committed to trading locally (which they appreciated).

Very quickly my brand choices were narrowed down to Riccar (made in the US) and Sebo (made in Germany).  I ultimately chose the Sebo E4 upright.  It, with an extended hose, accessory wand, bare floor tool (though the upright with brush retracted works for that also) and a turbo brush attachment for upholstery.  That all was US $900 or so, with a TEN YEAR warranty and local service.