Greetings in Christ

Started by Lucy_Helene, July 08, 2019, 08:00:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucy_Helene

Greetings everyone, I'm new to the forum here.

I don't know what I should say about myself, so I guess I'll answer some questions from the form...

What brings you to SD?

A desire to have genuine Catholic discussion, which is difficult to find elsewhere, brought me here. Most Catholic forums, such as Catholic Answers Forum (where I was banned for citing St. Thomas Aquinas), are ruled by modernists, and leave virtually no room to connect with other traditionalists (who are likewise banned swiftly!).

Are you a member of other Internet fora?

Yes, I'm Lucy_Helene on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/user/Lucy_Helene/

What is your state of life - single, married, religious, or still discerning?

I'm currently single, but discerning religious life or becoming a member of a Third Order.

Have any hobbies?

My hobbies include writing sacred music and studying Thomistic philosophy and canon law.

Favorite books?

I have to go with the Summa on this one!

Pet peeves:

Heresy. Need I say more?

In all, thanks for letting me join! I look forward to having a great time here.

Lucy

Gardener

I'm [deleted] on Reddit (I deleted my account there).

Some really solid writing there in only 3 days.

I look forward to the comments you'll have here!

"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Lucy_Helene

Quote from: Gardener on July 08, 2019, 08:18:05 PM

Thanks! I'm currently being downvoted through the ground in r/Catholicism. I think I'm at -1 karma or something there. I suppose it's good if I'm annoying the modernists!

red solo cup

non impediti ratione cogitationis

Lynne

Quote from: Lucy_Helene on July 08, 2019, 08:31:46 PM

Thanks! I'm currently being downvoted through the ground in r/Catholicism. I think I'm at -1 karma or something there. I suppose it's good if I'm annoying the modernists!

Are you also in r/TraditionalCatholics? It's relatively better than r/Catholicism.

Welcome to SD!
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Lucy_Helene

Quote from: Lynne on July 09, 2019, 12:03:28 PM

Are you also in r/TraditionalCatholics? It's relatively better than r/Catholicism.

I joined r/TraditionalCatholics a few days ago, but I haven't posted anything there yet. I really do hope it's better there. In r/Catholicism I'm at -5 karma now.

Xavier

Welcome, Sister. I just glanced through your comments on Reddit, and Wow, you are heroic in the way you defend SSPX Priests from the grotesquely false and uncharitable accusation of being "schismatic".  I think you'll find a much more comfortable, pleasant and welcoming environment favouring the SSPX and all Catholic Tradition here.

So thanks on their behalf, from someone scheduled to enter SSPX Seminary in just a little while.

Wonderful to know you're currently discerning Religious Life or considering a Third Order, Lucy. Hope you like the article below as you continue to discern. http://archives.sspx.org/chapel_news/2012/sspx_sisters_10-2012/sspx_sisters_10-2012.htm

Bible verses on walking blamelessly with God, after being forgiven from our former sins. Some verses here: https://dailyverses.net/blameless

"[2] He that walketh without blemish, and worketh justice:[3] He that speaketh truth in his heart, who hath not used deceit in his tongue: Nor hath done evil to his neighbour: nor taken up a reproach against his neighbours.(Psalm 14)

"[2] For in many things we all offend. If any man offend not in word, the same is a perfect man."(James 3)

"[14] And do ye all things without murmurings and hesitations; [15] That you may be blameless, and sincere children of God, without reproof, in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation; among whom you shine as lights in the world." (Phil 2:14-15)

Lucy_Helene

Quote from: Xavier on July 11, 2019, 08:43:39 AM
Welcome, Sister. I just glanced through your comments on Reddit, and Wow, you are heroic in the way you defend SSPX Priests from the grotesquely false and uncharitable accusation of being "schismatic".  I think you'll find a much more comfortable, pleasant and welcoming environment favouring the SSPX and all Catholic Tradition here.
I certainly hope so! I need to spend some time with fellow traditionalists after dealing with the nonsense that populates so many so-called "Catholic" internet forums in these trying times. It won't be long before I'm banned at r/Catholicism. The problem with the debates is that I'm never sure of which approach to take. I could take the debate to its final conclusion and demolish all the modernist arguments thoroughly, or I could try to avoid allowing the discussion from becoming too heated, to avoid perpetuating the stereotype of the "stubborn trad".

So thanks on their behalf, from someone scheduled to enter SSPX Seminary in a while.
You're welcome. And how exciting!

Wonderful to know you're currently discerning Religious Life or considering a Third Order, Lucy. Hope you like the article below as you continue to discern. http://archives.sspx.org/chapel_news/2012/sspx_sisters_10-2012/sspx_sisters_10-2012.htm
That was an interesting read, and the religious life certainly appeals to me. Though the idea of having a large traditional Catholic family with twenty children still appeals to me as well!

Michael Wilson

Welcome to the forum; I hope you stick around and contribute to the discussions here.
When people ask me to describe S.D. And the people here, I recall J.R.R. Tolkien's description of the Brandybuck clan: "Buckland was were the Brandybuck clan lived:
QuoteThe houses and the holes of Shire-hobbits were often large, and inhabited by large families.... Sometimes, as in the case of the Tooks of Great Smials, or the Brandybucks of Brandy Hall, many generations of relatives lived in (comparative) peace together in one ancestral and many-tunnelled mansion.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Tales

Greetings!

QuoteThe problem with the debates is that I'm never sure of which approach to take. I could take the debate to its final conclusion and demolish all the modernist arguments thoroughly, or I could try to avoid allowing the discussion from becoming too heated, to avoid perpetuating the stereotype of the "stubborn trad".

If the discussion becomes a debate then your target for persuasion is not your fellow debater but the audience.  An audience only appreciates a whipping if they already agree with the one doing the whipping.  If however they are either on the fence or on the other side, it disgusts the audience.  As such it seems a whipping is only appropriate when you are preaching to the choir against the lone heretic in the room.  Given that that is rarely if ever the case these days, I recommend always remaining amiable. 

Anyone can use logic to make a convincing argument of whatever it is they want to believe.  Logic will not get people out of the bad beliefs they have fallen into.  Logical arguments do not compel anyone to change their beliefs unless they are already willing to change.  What will (slowly) guide out the stubborn are charity, prayer and virtuous role models whom exude the peace of the Lord.  This does not mean a debate has no place, for it does, it just is to indicate that the "winner" of the debate is not interpreted as such by his syllogisms, but rather by his presence.  In a live debate this would include things such as competency of the material, peaceful voice & bodily movements, respectable attire, and remembering always to love your enemy (in this case, those whom disagree with the Church's teachings).  In an internet debate this requires constant pruning of text to exclude the put-downs, slam-downs, niggling attacks and the such that we are so oft to do through anonymous text.

Most people are attracted by the positive - something that will visibly be better for them here and now.  Generally people are not persuaded at all by statements made by anyone not alive during their lives (or the generation above as they will grow up listening to that generation talk about that person).  And so citing St. Whoever often has little affect.  But what can be persuasive is offering, what in your life you have deemed to be, a better way to do something.  So for example, imagine the "debate" is about communion in the hand.  One can drag out every saint till the cows come home, but it will not matter much, for the average Catholic is happy with accepting that "the modern world is different."  But presumably this Catholic wishes to honor the Lord, so you can simply state that you find kneeling before the Lord while receiving the Blessed Sacrament to be a great way to improve your personal devotion to Christ and that you feel spiritual connection to your forefathers whom did as well, and continue to do so in Heaven in the presence of the King of kings.  And then move on to something else positive or simply wish the person a blessed day.  (and do not make any niggling last remarks passively suggesting in any way that their communion-in-the-hand is bad, for then all was lost as the defensive walls shoot up)

Will that person kneel next Sunday?  No, but that seed planted might bear good fruit in a few years, especially if several other seeds are planted by others along the way.  But I guarantee that person will not kneel because he was beat into it by a debate.

Anyways, I am off topic.  Welcome to SD.

Davis

Kaesekopf

Once upon a time, I actively posted at /r/Catholicism.  Then, I got bored and found better ways to fritter time away.

I hope this place is edifying, though.

I need to get off my patoot and .... kick activity into gear.  Alas.
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Lucy_Helene

I'm [deleted] on Reddit now, too! After I started being shadowbanned on r/Catholicism (half of my posts on the SSPX were invisible to other users, and only became visible to me whether I logged in), I realised it was time to leave.

In memory of the amazing SSPX debate wherein I completely demolished one of the moderators, however, here's a link (;)):
https://www.reddit.com/r/Catholicism/comments/c6tbxj/this_link_from_the_sspx_has_me_worried_that_all/esba3tv/

Quote from: Kaesekopf on July 11, 2019, 10:29:16 PM
Once upon a time, I actively posted at /r/Catholicism.  Then, I got bored and found better ways to fritter time away.

I definitely wasted too much time there. To spend an hour researching, and then three-quarters of an hour writing the comment, and then even more time editing it over and over for accuracy and charity, and then be shadowbanned...well, no one has time for that kind of nonsense. The petty methods the modernists resort to in order to wage war are quite reprehensible.

Gardener

The only winning move is not to play.
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Kephapaulos

A belated welcome, Lucy Helene!