Laptop won't reboot after Windows update

Started by Acolyte, January 17, 2019, 04:09:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Acolyte

Goes to a screen that says I have tried to restart it several times and lists recovery options.

Windows 7

Any quick fix or idea what to try for someone who has no idea ?

Tia
"From the moment we awake in the morning, let us pray continually in the words of holy David: Turn away my eyes, that they may not behold vanity"
St Alphonsus

"I will set my face against you, and you shall fall down before your enemies, and shall be made subject to them that hate you, you shall flee when no man pursueth you"
Leviticus 26:17

"Behold, O God our protector : and look upon the face of Thy Christ" (Ps. 79:20) Here is devotion to the face of Jesus Christ as prophesized by David."
Fr. Lawrence Daniel Carney III

Gardener

"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Acolyte

Found this by searching the error code

I'll have to try to find my disc which could take days. I have an external disk drive.

Not that big of a deal because I only use it as a CD player for my Bluetooth speaker. I don't have any files or photos on it I can't replace.

I found an option to run a diagnostic check and it found two errors on my hard drive. My uneducated guess is the hard drive is shot. The laptop got very hot while it was trying to boot.

Sent from my LM-X210VPP using Tapatalk

"From the moment we awake in the morning, let us pray continually in the words of holy David: Turn away my eyes, that they may not behold vanity"
St Alphonsus

"I will set my face against you, and you shall fall down before your enemies, and shall be made subject to them that hate you, you shall flee when no man pursueth you"

"Behold, O God our protector : and look upon the face of Thy Christ" (Ps. 79:20) Here is devotion to the face of Jesus Christ as prophesized by David."

Gardener

OS resides on the hard drive. If that were shot completely you wouldn't be getting Windows error codes or recovery options.

Can you boot in safe mode?

"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Acolyte

Yes, tried safe mode and safe mode with networking. No dice

Thanks for the heads up on the hard drive not being toast. I didn't think of that.

If I do find my windows 8 disc and reinstall it, I'll have to let it update for two or three hours won't I ?

If it comes down to that I may just get a new laptop with my tax refund.
St Alphonsus

Gardener

If you're not beholden to data on there, try Linux Mint.

Acolyte

Thanks, looks interesting. All I need is something to play, burn, and rip CDs.
St Alphonsus

Jacob

"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
--Neal Stephenson

maryslittlegarden

For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace

Kaesekopf

I was told Linux Mint is ... not that great for a variety of reasons, none of which I understood.

I was told to use Ubuntu MATE, which is what I use now. 
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Gardener

Quote from: Kaesekopf on January 18, 2019, 01:28:27 PM
I was told Linux Mint is ... not that great for a variety of reasons, none of which I understood.

I was told to use Ubuntu MATE, which is what I use now.

What were the reasons you were given?

My guess would be from the backend perspective of the type of person who would actually get into the OS.

For most people coming over from the Windows experience, the Mint Cinnamon distro is going to be the most seamless experience with plenty of support and community involvement for typical challenges.

Since MATE is just the desktop environment it runs Ubuntu underneath the hood, which means it has Canonical's support behind it.

Mint uses Ubuntu's repositories.

It's really 6 of one and half a dozen of the other for the average user.

Gardener

Don't forget, you can run Wine on Linux and still subject your machine to all the horrors of Windows:

[gifv]https://i.imgur.com/3Td8xPY.mp4[/gifv]