Hello & thankful in central VA

Started by grids7, March 14, 2018, 12:51:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grids7

Hello from central Virginia, I am thankful to have found this interesting forum.  My 9 year old daughter and I are on the path to enter the Catholic church shortly - for me at Easter Vigil Mass, and my daughter in May, which is cool because her middle name, while Chinese, is pronounced "May".

What brings you to SD?
Coming into the church, I have been drawn by the beauty of the traditional Catholic religion.  SD offers interesting communion with those already familiar with the terrain.

Are you a member of other Internet fora?  If so, care to mention which one(s)?
Cloudy Nights, White Blaze, Zombie Hunters

Why did you choose your username and avatar?
Username is based on my grandfather's nickname, tacking on "7" because I loved watching the old space missions, including all those Mercury <abc>-7 mission names.  As for why this avatar, I carry such a 2009 American Silver Eagle in my pocket to remind me of some of God's greatest blessings in my life:  2009 (birth year of my daughter), American (self-explanatory), Silver (blessed with great education preparing me for well paying employment), In God We Trust (most importantly, God's mercy in the Redemption offered us via the sacrifice of His Son).

What is your state of life - single, married, religious, or still discerning?
Divorced, prior to coming into the Catholic church.

Whereabouts do you live "in real life"? (be as specific or as general as you wish!)
Charlottesville.

Personality type?
Mildly pessimistic, God is working on that with me.  In terms of those Myers Briggs type tests?  INTJ, or ISTJ, or I <something> <something else> J.  The I and the J are me, I seem to switch around on the NT, or the ST.

Favorite books?
Atlas Shrugged, The Screwtape Letters, The Great Idea (Henry Hazlitt)

Favorite movies?
Serenity, Rocky, Courage Under Fire, Flight of the Phoenix (original, not the rebake), It's A Wonderful Life.

Favorite TV shows?
Firefly, Planet Earth, cooking competition shows.

Favorite sports/teams
John Elway's Denver Broncos, Magic Johnson's LA Lakers, Rod Carew's California Angels.

Have any hobbies?
Astronomy, hiking, finding wonderfully library-musty smelling paper books that correspond to all the digital Catholic classic books (philosophical and liturgical).

Pet peeves:
People who stop to have a conversation in traffic choke points, such as the entry to a stairwell.  Democrats.  Gun confiscation advocates who hide behind "common sense regulations".

Fun random fact about yourself:
I have unbuckled my car's seatbelt while hanging upside down.  Once.
2009 Silver American Eagle to remind me of my Blessings - "In God We Trust" (God's redemption through his Son), American (self explanatory), 2009 (birth year of my daughter), and silver (representing good education to obtain good employment).

red solo cup

When you were hanging from the seatbelt...did it turn your frown upside down?
:toth:
non impediti ratione cogitationis

Heinrich

I just read your Confession post. Inspiring.

Welcome to SD.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Christe Eleison

Quote from: grids7 on March 14, 2018, 12:51:58 PM
Hello from central Virginia, I am thankful to have found this interesting forum.  My 9 year old daughter and I are on the path to enter the Catholic church shortly - for me at Easter Vigil Mass, and my daughter in May, which is cool because her middle name, while Chinese, is pronounced "May".

What brings you to SD?
Coming into the church, I have been drawn by the beauty of the traditional Catholic religion.  SD offers interesting communion with those already familiar with the terrain.

Are you a member of other Internet fora?  If so, care to mention which one(s)?
Cloudy Nights, White Blaze, Zombie Hunters

Why did you choose your username and avatar?
Username is based on my grandfather's nickname, tacking on "7" because I loved watching the old space missions, including all those Mercury <abc>-7 mission names.  As for why this avatar, I carry such a 2009 American Silver Eagle in my pocket to remind me of some of God's greatest blessings in my life:  2009 (birth year of my daughter), American (self-explanatory), Silver (blessed with great education preparing me for well paying employment), In God We Trust (most importantly, God's mercy in the Redemption offered us via the sacrifice of His Son).

What is your state of life - single, married, religious, or still discerning?
Divorced, prior to coming into the Catholic church.

Whereabouts do you live "in real life"? (be as specific or as general as you wish!)
Charlottesville.

Personality type?
Mildly pessimistic, God is working on that with me.  In terms of those Myers Briggs type tests?  INTJ, or ISTJ, or I <something> <something else> J.  The I and the J are me, I seem to switch around on the NT, or the ST.

Favorite books?
Atlas Shrugged, The Screwtape Letters, The Great Idea (Henry Hazlitt)

Favorite movies?
Serenity, Rocky, Courage Under Fire, Flight of the Phoenix (original, not the rebake), It's A Wonderful Life.

Favorite TV shows?
Firefly, Planet Earth, cooking competition shows.

Favorite sports/teams
John Elway's Denver Broncos, Magic Johnson's LA Lakers, Rod Carew's California Angels.

Have any hobbies?
Astronomy, hiking, finding wonderfully library-musty smelling paper books that correspond to all the digital Catholic classic books (philosophical and liturgical).

Pet peeves:
People who stop to have a conversation in traffic choke points, such as the entry to a stairwell.  Democrats.  Gun confiscation advocates who hide behind "common sense regulations".

Fun random fact about yourself:
I have unbuckled my car's seatbelt while hanging upside down.  Once.

Welcome to the forum :)
Prayers for you and your daughter this Easter  :pray1: God bless.

Sophia3

Welcome and congratulations on entering The Church! (PS nice show choices and hobbies!)

PerEvangelicaDicta

As Carleendiane says "Another one for the Kingdom!"   Welcome, friend!

But wait just a dag gum minute... you have to explain this.  It's too intriguing!
QuoteI have unbuckled my car's seatbelt while hanging upside down.  Once.

Your INTJ - ish character, while exceedingly rare in the world, is pert near the majority here.  You'll be right at home.

:grouphug:
They shall not be confounded in the evil time; and in the days of famine they shall be filled
Psalms 36:19