James Clark Maxwell

Started by red solo cup, July 03, 2018, 07:55:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

red solo cup

One of Scotland's greatest scientists that no one's ever heard of, Maxwell was the first to formulate the Theory of Electromagnetic Radiation.
non impediti ratione cogitationis

Jayne

I've heard of him although about all I know is "Maxwell's equations" is a thing.  My friend, an electrical engineer, named her cat Maxwell after him.
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

Greg

Anyone who paid attention in science class at 15 has heard of him.

Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

drummerboy

- I'll get with the times when the times are worth getting with

"I like grumpy old cusses.  Hope to live long enough to be one" - John Wayne

Kaesekopf

Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

JackoPaul

Absolute genius and died so young

Albert Einstein apparently had 3 pictures of scientist on his office wall

1 Newton
2 Maxwell
3 Faraday

Considering lists of scientists where would you put Einstein. Most physicists are split between Newton and Einstein when it comes to polls. I think Newton usually edges it. Personally I would go with

1 Newton
2 Einstein
3 Maxwell
4 Faraday
5 Tesla
6 Derac
7 Turing
8 Feynamn

Why Newton? because I think he fundamentally changed the world more than any other physicist. Without him we would live in a very different time (probably better lol). He was the reason the first industrial revolution occurred. The greatest polymath in history. He didn't devote his life to science. He was obsessed with alchemy, bible codes and getting counterfeiters hanged. He must have been autistic or something worse.

As for Einstein I am still not completely convinced about some of his theories. Especially when we extrapolate them and start having to add dark matter and dark energy into the equation to make things add up. May be I just cant get my head around it any more :/ Einstein was the reason the third industrial revolution occurred thanks to nuclear physics

Faraday was self educated and is the main reason the second industrial revolution occurred thanks to Electricity and magnetism. Physicist Ernest Rutherford stated, "When we consider the magnitude and extent of his discoveries and their influence on the progress of science and of industry, there is no honour too great to pay to the memory of Faraday, one of the greatest scientific discoverers of all time". Maxwell's work was a continuation of Faraday's. I Studied Microelectronics at uni and was always in awe at these guys.

Tesla was the personification of a total mad scientist. He made so many discoveries some people seem to think many are still covered up. He was very unlucky in life and treated so badly by Edison.

Dirac quantum pioneer. He must be good because I don't know what the duck he is on about

Turing a mathematician with an amazing mind helped shorten ww2 saving lots of lives. The father of computer science. He would have faired much better in these times lol

Feynamn I once studied nuclear physics and Feynamn. I wish I had the mind to continue with it or Astro physics but got into it too late in life. Okay it was way beyond me

Seen as we're talking physics my anti list in no particular order just scientist i dont like
1 Hawking - overrated because of the chair
2 Freud - was he serious
3 Edison - the controversies, Tesla, the elephant
4 Darwin - well you know
5 Curie - just for pretending to be French

Greg

My favourite is Dr. Nefario

He is just like my dad.  Deaf as a post.
Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.