Anybody Speak Hungarian?

Started by maryslittlegarden, October 05, 2023, 08:33:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

maryslittlegarden

I signed up for Hungarian through Mango. Haven't started yet. Sounds interesting but difficult? 
For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace

ChairmanJoeAintMyPrez

A légpárnásom tele van angolnákkal
this page left intentionally blank

LausTibiChriste

It's insane.

If I were to pic a Uralic language, I would personally look into Finnish. Had a Finnish GF once, she was hot. Tiiiiiiina. Plus they're great a hockey - a worthy adversary.

In addition to Mango, if you're serious about learning it, I highly recommend:
- Drops
- Glossika
- Clozemaster
Lord Jesus Christ, Son Of God, Have Mercy On Me A Sinner

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

Communism is as American as Apple Pie

Greg

I once asked a Finnish girl out.  She was from Bergen and I told her she was beautiful and I was in love with her country Finland.  Then I sang the Monty Python Finland song and asked her to dinner.

She said "no way!", so I left, a little embarrassed at my failure.
Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

maryslittlegarden

For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace

maryslittlegarden

Quote from: LausTibiChriste on October 05, 2023, 12:01:41 PMIt's insane.

If I were to pic a Uralic language, I would personally look into Finnish. Had a Finnish GF once, she was hot. Tiiiiiiina. Plus they're great a hockey - a worthy adversary.

- Drops
- Glossika
- Clozemaster

Finnish is on my list, too.  I can get access to Mango through my library so am starting there.  We'll see how that goes and maybe try the others.  I used to be able to understand and speak a bit of Norwegian so maybe the Finnish wouldn't be toooooo much of a stretch.

drummerboy

Quote from: maryslittlegarden on October 06, 2023, 08:42:15 AM

- Drops
- Glossika
- Clozemaster

Finnish is on my list, too.  I can get access to Mango through my library so am starting there.  We'll see how that goes and maybe try the others.  I used to be able to understand and speak a bit of Norwegian so maybe the Finnish wouldn't be toooooo much of a stretch.

Norski and Finnish are completely different language families.  The Finns actually came from central Asia originally (the area north of the black sea and thereabouts.)  This is why Finland is considered part of Scandinavia geographically, but not culturally or ethnically. Finnish is closest to Estonian.
- I'll get with the times when the times are worth getting with

"I like grumpy old cusses.  Hope to live long enough to be one" - John Wayne

drummerboy

Isn't the Hungarian language called Magyar?

LausTibiChriste

Quote from: drummerboy on October 06, 2023, 09:43:03 AMIsn't the Hungarian language called Magyar?

Indeed it is

Magyar, roughly translated to English, means "Wtf?"

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

LausTibiChriste

Quote from: drummerboy on October 06, 2023, 09:42:18 AM
Quote from: maryslittlegarden on October 06, 2023, 08:42:15 AM

- Drops
- Glossika
- Clozemaster

Norski and Finnish are completely different language families.  The Finns actually came from central Asia originally (the area north of the black sea and thereabouts.)  This is why Finland is considered part of Scandinavia geographically, but not culturally or ethnically. Finnish is closest to Estonian.

Norwegian - one of the easiest languages for an English speaker to learn
Hungarian - one of the hardest (relatively speaking compared to Mandarin, Arabic etc) I meant to say Finnish

- MaximGun

maryslittlegarden

I'm mostly just trying to stretch my brain a little.  We'll see how far I get with the Mango course.

drummerboy

Quote from: maryslittlegarden on October 06, 2023, 10:53:42 AMI'm mostly just trying to stretch my brain a little.  We'll see how far I get with the Mango course.

The brain needs some constructive stressing now and then.  I can feel mine turning to mush so I'm exploring languages too.

maryslittlegarden

Quote from: drummerboy on October 06, 2023, 12:53:23 PM
Quote from: maryslittlegarden on October 06, 2023, 10:53:42 AMI'm mostly just trying to stretch my brain a little.  We'll see how far I get with the Mango course.

The brain needs some constructive stressing now and then.  I can feel mine turning to mush so I'm exploring languages too.

Yeah... I haven't done languages for awhile.  Probably since college. I will do an edx or opencourseware class occasionally. Usually something that is totally different for my brain.

drummerboy

The wife and I are learning German on Duolingo.  Not a big fan of this program.  Its weak on grammar, and apparantly everyone's gay.  But it's free and I don't support their advertisers so I'll freeload off them.   And it does work if you want to get familiar with the language

ChairmanJoeAintMyPrez

Quote from: drummerboy on October 08, 2023, 09:03:06 AMeveryone's gay

Time to start reporting "His husband" and "her wife" as errors  :rofl:
this page left intentionally blank