Making a Catholic home (married and single)

Started by Kaesekopf, January 21, 2013, 11:34:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stitchmom

Quote from: voxxpopulisuxx on February 19, 2013, 04:46:34 AM
I would say it was wrongonly if a concurrent catholic charity was nearby. Remember...the poor we will always have. Also...I wouldnt give to a protty drug rehab because those folks are taking spiritual advantage. They exchange heroin for fundie charismaticism....which is just as bad if not worse.

How is it worse? They try to obey the 10 Commandments and at least value providing for one's family and respect other people's property unlike many addicts. They can engage in honest dialogue unlike someone high. That seems much better for society in general than addicts?
I wish there was a fundamentalist Baptist in the apartment downstairs instead of the  addict and his flop house.

stitchmom

Sorry V did you mean the people who run the rehab ministry are taking advantage?

Kaesekopf

Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

voxxpopulisuxx

Quote from: stitchmom on February 19, 2013, 05:06:01 AM
Sorry V did you mean the people who run the rehab ministry are taking advantage?
Yes...i have a friend who fell into herion....he was catholic....then he was saved by fundies...now he "high" on Jesus. He subsiquently became virulently anticatholic and deceived his own father away from the church just before he (his dad) died.
Lord Jesus Christ Most High Son of God have Mercy On Me a Sinner (Jesus Prayer)

"You can never cross the ocean until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore." – Christopher Columbus
911!
"Let my name stand among those who are willing to bear ridicule and reproach for the truth's sake, and so earn some right to rejoice when the victory is won. "— Louisa May Alcott

"From man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world."St. Arnold (580-640)

Geocentrism holds no possible atheistic downside.

Archer

Quote from: Mr Brocklehurst on February 18, 2013, 09:49:14 PM
I have met traditional Catholics whose modesty standards are lax.  They are a minority, but they exist.  In any case, if we were all on the same page with modesty, I doubt these threads would rage the way they do. 

I don't think I know any Traditional Catholics whose modesty standards are lax.  That being said, I also know many conservative NOers who dress modestly at all times.  Based the small size of the forum I think it's safe to say the majority of us here on SD agree on the basic standards of modesty. 

The reason these threads rage is because certain people take modesty to extremes, which drives the majority of already modestly dressed people nuts.     
"All the good works in the world are not equal to the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass because they are the works of men; but the Mass is the work of God. Martyrdom is nothing in comparison for it is but the sacrifice of man to God; but the Mass is the sacrifice of God for man." - St. John Vianney

Mono no aware

Quote from: Archer on February 19, 2013, 10:59:11 AM
Quote from: Mr Brocklehurst on February 18, 2013, 09:49:14 PM
I have met traditional Catholics whose modesty standards are lax.  They are a minority, but they exist.  In any case, if we were all on the same page with modesty, I doubt these threads would rage the way they do. 

I don't think I know any Traditional Catholics whose modesty standards are lax.  That being said, I also know many conservative NOers who dress modestly at all times.  Based the small size of the forum I think it's safe to say the majority of us here on SD agree on the basic standards of modesty.

I concur, the majority probably does.

QuoteThe reason these threads rage is because certain people take modesty to extremes, which drives the majority of already modestly dressed people nuts.   

Well, the administrator has indicated that pursuing this subject is a derail of the original thread, so we should probably make a new topic if you want to continue it.  I suppose what constitutes the "extreme" here might be in the eye of the beholder.  I would say that the extremists are those with a tendency to relax modesty standards, which (indeed) is aggravating.  If that's what you meant, then I guess we agree on this point as well.

Archer

Quote from: Mr Brocklehurst on February 19, 2013, 12:26:29 PM
Well, the administrator has indicated that pursuing this subject is a derail of the original thread, so we should probably make a new topic if you want to continue it.  I suppose what constitutes the "extreme" here might be in the eye of the beholder.

I don't really feel like continuing this subject so I'll drop it after this post.  If someone else feels the need to continue then maybe they can make a new topic. 

Quote from: Mr Brocklehurst on February 19, 2013, 12:26:29 PM
I would say that the extremists are those with a tendency to relax modesty standards, which (indeed) is aggravating.  If that's what you meant, then I guess we agree on this point as well.

Yes, but in all fairness the other extreme is wrong as well.  Being overscrupulous might initially be seen as laudable, or at least preferable to the contrary.  But in reality it can cause many unhealthy tendancies such as using a tape measure to check every article of clothing, and therefore be dangerous to the soul. 
"All the good works in the world are not equal to the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass because they are the works of men; but the Mass is the work of God. Martyrdom is nothing in comparison for it is but the sacrifice of man to God; but the Mass is the sacrifice of God for man." - St. John Vianney

OCLittleFlower

Quote from: stitchmom on February 19, 2013, 04:39:45 AM
Quote from: Mithrandylan on February 18, 2013, 07:55:46 PM
Donating goods to suffering people isn't even the same league as donating funds to support the spread of anti-Catholic propaganda.

The items are given directly to the organization though, not given directly to the people. The org could burn them, sell them on ebay, or give them to people, but they are given to the organization.

What about giving money to a crisis pregnancy center for their operating expenses when it's a Lutheran ministry?  Or the only drug rehab center in town that isn't a Methadone clinic but it's a ministry of a fundamentalist Baptist group? Often time social ministries that give help with emergency rent or electric are ecumenical efforts of many churches in one area. Is wrong to give them funds?

Well, for starters, I'm not convinced that we need to give to every type of charity -- it's certainly possible to give only to one or two but to give in large amounts.  I'm also not convinced that we need to give locally only or even as a first option.  Nor am I convinced that Methadone is always a bad option -- my understanding is that "cold turkey" is very dangerous for some addicts who have been using large amounts of drugs.

I have never given to a charity run by a protestant church and I never will -- too much of a mess.  We are VERY discerning about where our donations go.  But I would rather divide donations between two or three good charities than a dozen so-so ones.
-- currently writing a Trad romance entitled Flirting with Sedevacantism --

???? ?? ?????? ????????? ???, ?? ?????.

RealPresents

Bringing this thread back 'round to the OP: 'Charity begins at (Catholic) home'.  One can always donate exclusively to one's own parish or school.  If one is not comfortable putting what-ever one has to give into those hands, one might consider finding another 'home'...

voxxpopulisuxx

Quote from: OCLittleFlower on February 19, 2013, 05:37:21 PM
Donating goods to suffering people isn't even the same league as donating funds to support the spread of anti-Catholic propaganda.

The items are given directly to the organization though, not given directly to the people. The org could burn them, sell them on ebay, or give them to people, but they are given to the organization.

What about giving money to a crisis pregnancy center for their operating expenses when it's a Lutheran ministry?  Or the only drug rehab center in town that isn't a Methadone clinic but it's a ministry of a fundamentalist Baptist group? Often time social ministries that give help with emergency rent or electric are ecumenical efforts of many churches in one area. Is wrong to give them funds?

Well, for starters, I'm not convinced that we need to give to every type of charity -- it's certainly possible to give only to one or two but to give in large amounts.  I'm also not convinced that we need to give locally only or even as a first option.  Nor am I convinced that Methadone is always a bad option -- my understanding is that "cold turkey" is very dangerous for some addicts who have been using large amounts of drugs.

I have never given to a charity run by a protestant church and I never will -- too much of a mess.  We are VERY discerning about where our donations go.  But I would rather divide donations between two or three good charities than a dozen so-so ones.
Methadone is a satanic solution. This from a friend of mine who runs his own drug rehab and who was an addict himself. He says its a state subsidised drug cartel.... And also from a couple who I was helping where the husband quit cold turkey but the wife was under court orders to use methadone....she was never able to kick the habit was high on legal herion (methadone) and eventually drug her husband back into heroin.
Lord Jesus Christ Most High Son of God have Mercy On Me a Sinner (Jesus Prayer)

"You can never cross the ocean until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore." – Christopher Columbus
911!
"Let my name stand among those who are willing to bear ridicule and reproach for the truth's sake, and so earn some right to rejoice when the victory is won. "— Louisa May Alcott

"From man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world."St. Arnold (580-640)

Geocentrism holds no possible atheistic downside.

OCLittleFlower

Quote from: voxxpopulisuxx on February 19, 2013, 06:09:06 PM
Quote from: OCLittleFlower on February 19, 2013, 05:37:21 PM

Methadone is a satanic solution. This from a friend of mine who runs his own drug rehab and who was an addict himself. He says its a state subsidised drug cartel.... And also from a couple who I was helping where the husband quit cold turkey but the wife was under court orders to use methadone....she was never able to kick the habit was high on legal herion (methadone) and eventually drug her husband back into heroin.

Interesting -- I'll have to read up on it some more.
-- currently writing a Trad romance entitled Flirting with Sedevacantism --

???? ?? ?????? ????????? ???, ?? ?????.