Would you ever...

Started by Lyubov, January 04, 2013, 02:22:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gottmitunsalex

"Nothing is more miserable than those people who never failed to attack their own salvation. When there was need to observe the Law, they trampled it under foot. Now that the Law has ceased to bind, they obstinately strive to observe it. What could be more pitiable that those who provoke God not only by transgressing the Law but also by keeping it? But at any rate the Jews say that they, too, adore God. God forbid that I say that. No Jew adores God! Who say so? The Son of God say so. For he said: "If you were to know my Father, you would also know me. But you neither know me nor do you know my Father". Could I produce a witness more trustworthy than the Son of God?"  St. John Chrysostom  Sunday Homily

"The two goals of the Jews: The universal domination of the world and the destruction of Catholicism, out of hatred for Christ" --Mgr. Jouin

Vetus Ordo

Quote from: Bonaventure on January 05, 2013, 04:02:24 AM
Quote from: OCLittleFlower on January 04, 2013, 07:01:16 PM
Quote from: Vetus Ordo on January 04, 2013, 05:58:55 PM
Quote from: erin is nice on January 04, 2013, 05:04:04 PM
I probably wouldn't. I like hebrew names and Marie doesn't really go with any of them.

Except that Marie and its variants are Hebrew names.

I thought Miriam was the Hebrew variant.

It is. I think it's the Arabic variant as well.

I believe in Arabic it's Maryam but I'm not entirely sure.

In any case the name is originally Hebrew, with all its subsequent varities in different languages. The same with John, Joseph, Daniel, etc.
DISPOSE OUR DAYS IN THY PEACE, AND COMMAND US TO BE DELIVERED FROM ETERNAL DAMNATION, AND TO BE NUMBERED IN THE FLOCK OF THINE ELECT.

Archer

My second daughter's middle name is Marie.  Bridget Marie.

So no I wouldn't name a son Marie.  But if this next one is a boy we're tossing Joseph around as a first name.  And if not a first name definitely the middle name. 
"All the good works in the world are not equal to the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass because they are the works of men; but the Mass is the work of God. Martyrdom is nothing in comparison for it is but the sacrifice of man to God; but the Mass is the sacrifice of God for man." - St. John Vianney

jovan66102

Quote from: Vetus Ordo on January 04, 2013, 03:13:10 AM
In Spain, there's also the odd tradition of naming boys "Jesús." That's one I'm uncomfortable with.

I'm less uncomfortable with that than I am with the Scandinavian custom of naming boys 'Christ'. At least, Jesus is just a Graecised form of 'Joshua', whereas Christ is 'Messias' or 'the Anointed One'.

In fact, I have a friend whose surname is Christ. I used to tease him (in my pre-Catholic days) that he should name a son "Jesus', just to freak people out.
Jovan-Marya Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
"Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog also.)" St Bernard of Clairvaux
https://musingsofanoldcurmudgeon.blogspot.com/

piabee

Quote from: jovan66102 on January 17, 2013, 02:41:57 PM
In Spain, there's also the odd tradition of naming boys "Jesús." That's one I'm uncomfortable with.

I'm less uncomfortable with that than I am with the Scandinavian custom of naming boys 'Christ'. At least, Jesus is just a Graecised form of 'Joshua', whereas Christ is 'Messias' or 'the Anointed One'.

In fact, I have a friend whose surname is Christ. I used to tease him (in my pre-Catholic days) that he should name a son "Jesus', just to freak people out.

What about Christina?

Vetus Ordo

Quote from: piabee on January 25, 2013, 04:34:51 PM
Quote from: jovan66102 on January 17, 2013, 02:41:57 PM

What about Christina?

I love that name.
DISPOSE OUR DAYS IN THY PEACE, AND COMMAND US TO BE DELIVERED FROM ETERNAL DAMNATION, AND TO BE NUMBERED IN THE FLOCK OF THINE ELECT.

zork

Quote from: Vetus Ordo on January 10, 2013, 02:52:34 AM
Quote from: Bonaventure on January 05, 2013, 04:02:24 AM
Quote from: OCLittleFlower on January 04, 2013, 07:01:16 PM
Quote from: Vetus Ordo on January 04, 2013, 05:58:55 PM
Quote from: erin is nice on January 04, 2013, 05:04:04 PM
I probably wouldn't. I like hebrew names and Marie doesn't really go with any of them.

Except that Marie and its variants are Hebrew names.

I thought Miriam was the Hebrew variant.

It is. I think it's the Arabic variant as well.

I believe in Arabic it's Maryam but I'm not entirely sure.

In any case the name is originally Hebrew, with all its subsequent varities in different languages. The same with John, Joseph, Daniel, etc.

A Muslim from Somalia that I used to work with referred to the Blessed Mother as 'Myriama' (or perhaps it is spelled as 'Miriyama' or 'Miryama'--I just remember the pronunciation of it).
Christus vincit, Christus regnat, Christus imperat.