Granola

Started by Ancilla Domini, November 18, 2013, 09:32:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ancilla Domini

Anyone here make their own granola? Have a good technique or recipe you're willing to share?  :)

Theophilus

I've been making our granola bars.  My coworker told me how to make granola and it was very similar.  She makes a huge amount at a time and puts it in ice cream pails in the freezer.  I'll get the exact recipe and get back to you. 
"Only little children and those who are like them shall be admitted to the Heavenly Banquet."–St. Therese of Lisieux
"Because he hath therefore scattered you among the Gentiles, who know not him, that you may declare his wonderful works, and make them know that there is no other Almighty God besides him."

Ancilla Domini

Quote from: TTBG on November 18, 2013, 09:44:58 PM
I've been making our granola bars.  My coworker told me how to make granola and it was very similar.  She makes a huge amount at a time and puts it in ice cream pails in the freezer.  I'll get the exact recipe and get back to you.

Thank you!  :)

Hannelore

I tried once, using a recipe from The Complete Tightwad Gazette, but I wasn't thrilled with te way it turned out. I like my granola pretty "clumpy" and sweet. No raisins.  ;)
My Lord and my God.

Ancilla Domini

Quote from: Bernadette on November 19, 2013, 12:42:58 PM
I tried once, using a recipe from The Complete Tightwad Gazette, but I wasn't thrilled with te way it turned out. I like my granola pretty "clumpy" and sweet. No raisins.  ;)

Me too! Though I sometimes add dried fruit and nuts. I actually like dried cranberries more than raisins. :)

Theophilus

Okay--adjust as you wish, halve, quarter, sweeten to your taste.

2 c. honey (raw ;))
2 c. veg. oil
2 c. br. sugar
1/2 c. water
1 TBSP vanilla
24 c. oatmeal
1 c. flax seed
2 c. ground flax
1 c. coconut
optional: wheat germ, wheat bran, 2 c. dry milk (powdered milk)--my coworker said she usually doesn't add it but it may make it sweeter

Mix in a big bowl, smear on cookie sheet thinly.  Bake at 350 degrees for five to ten minutes.  She said the key is the coconut because when it is turning golden brown it's done.  Take out and scrape off the sheet right away or it will stick.  Add your raisins, dried cranberries, banana chips, sunflower seeds, walnuts, hickory nuts, whatever extra you want. If you make a big batch like this you can store it in the freezer.  She said they eat it for their cereal with milk. 
"Only little children and those who are like them shall be admitted to the Heavenly Banquet."–St. Therese of Lisieux
"Because he hath therefore scattered you among the Gentiles, who know not him, that you may declare his wonderful works, and make them know that there is no other Almighty God besides him."

Ancilla Domini

Heinrich

Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Maximilian

I mix up my own hot cereal that is nearly carb-free. It tastes pretty delicious, and is reasonably cheap, about the same as steel-cut oats. I often make it in the morning half-and-half with oatmeal.

Ingredients

2 cups oat bran
1 cup wheat bran
1 cup wheat germ
1 cup sesame seeds
1 cup flax seeds

Add salt and cinnamon to taste.

I buy the sesame seeds and flax seeds whole and keep them that way until I'm ready to make a batch, and then they don't need to be refrigerated. I grind up the sesame seeds and flax seeds in a spice grinder as I'm making a batch, and I store the mixed batch in a used cardboard oatmeal container in the refrigerator, since the seeds should be refrigerated once they are ground.

To make in the morning, just add 2 cups water per cup of cereal. It's almost instant if you pour boiling water over it, it just takes another 30 seconds to 1 minute in the microwave to finish. If you want to make it in your bowl just use a quarter cup and add a half cup boiling water, and then microwave as above to finish cooking. I usually make a larger batch in a pot on the stove in the morning, often mixed with oatmeal, as I said.

It has an amazing amount of nutritition, it's really what they call a "nutriceutical" since it's so good for you. It only takes a few minutes to grind the seeds and mix the ingredients together. I get the ingredients from the bulk section of our health food store, except for the sesame seeds which I buy from the wholesale section of our Chinese supermarket in Chinatown, only $8 for 5 pounds. I use sesame seeds in most of my cooking, whatever doesn't go into the cereal.

Theophilus

Quote from: Maximilian on November 21, 2013, 10:05:49 PM
I mix up my own hot cereal that is nearly carb-free. It tastes pretty delicious, and is reasonably cheap, about the same as steel-cut oats. I often make it in the morning half-and-half with oatmeal.

Ingredients

2 cups oat bran
1 cup wheat bran
1 cup wheat germ
1 cup sesame seeds
1 cup flax seeds

I buy the sesame seeds and flax seeds whole and keep them that way until I'm ready to make a batch, and then they don't need to be refrigerated. I grind up the sesame seeds and flax seeds in a spice grinder as I'm making a batch, and I store the mixed batch in a used cardboard oatmeal container in the refrigerator, since the seeds should be refrigerated once they are ground.

To make in the morning, just add 2 cups water per cup of cereal. It's almost instant if you pour boiling water over it, it just takes another 30 seconds to 1 minute in the microwave to finish. If you want to make it in your bowl just use a quarter cup and add a half cup boiling water, and then microwave as above to finish cooking. I usually make a larger batch in a pot on the stove in the morning, often mixed with oatmeal, as I said.

It has an amazing amount of nutritition, it's really what they call a "nutriceutical" since it's so good for you. It only takes a few minutes to grind the seeds and mix the ingredients together. I get the ingredients from the bulk section of our health food store, except for the sesame seeds which I buy from the wholesale section of our Chinese supermarket in Chinatown, only $8 for 5 pounds. I use sesame seeds in most of my cooking, whatever doesn't go into the cereal.
What kind of grinder do you use?  I have a Nutrimill for wheat berries but it says not to use for flax.

Maximilian

Quote from: TTBG on November 24, 2013, 02:30:15 AM
Quote from: Maximilian on November 21, 2013, 10:05:49 PM

Ingredients

2 cups oat bran
1 cup wheat bran
1 cup wheat germ
1 cup sesame seeds
1 cup flax seeds

What kind of grinder do you use?  I have a Nutrimill for wheat berries but it says not to use for flax.

Just, a cheap average spice grinder, looks just like a coffee grinder, you could use it for coffee. I bought it at Target.

It's actually a really good one, however. It has a detachable metal bowl and a separate plastic bowl-shaped lid. That's important for spices like cloves, because if you use the kind of coffee grinder where the bowl and the blade are part of the main unit, then you have to dump the ground-up spices into the plastic lid, and they etch into the plastic. I just went and checked, and it's a Kitchenaid brand, but it only cost $30.