The vices of nations

Started by A. W. Pugin, July 26, 2020, 07:31:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A. W. Pugin

I recall hearing a lecture by Father Ripperger during which he explained that persons each have a 'predominant vice'. (I believe this is contrasted with a 'predominant virtue'.)

He went on to say that not only individuals, but families also have a predominant vice, affecting multiple generations. (If you do not yet know your personal predominant vice, then perhaps your family's will be more apparent to you.)

Finally, he stated that nations have a characteristic predominant vice. He gave the example of the United States of America -- greed.

It's all very interesting, but I have not found any methodologically robust theological literature which develops the idea further.

Would anyone care to offer suggestions on what other nations' predominant vices might be? Was Father Ripperger wrong about America? What about Great Britain, France, Germany, Spain, Italy, Russia, China? These countries interest me the most, because historically they are arguably the most culturally significant.

Michael Wilson

Great Britain: "Snobbery"
France: "Obnoxiousness"
Germany: "Bossiness"
Spain: "Speaking loudly and too quickly"
Italy: "Excessive hand and body language"; "making people disappear"; "using too much garlic"; etc.
Russia: "Drinking"
China: "Plotting"
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

A. W. Pugin

Quote from: Michael Wilson on July 26, 2020, 07:43:19 PM
Great Britain: "Snobbery"
France: "Obnoxiousness"
Germany: "Bossiness"
Spain: "Speaking loudly and too quickly"
Italy: "Excessive hand and body language"; "making people disappear"; "using too much garlic"; etc.
Russia: "Drinking"
China: "Plotting"

There is truth in stereotypes.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the mechanics German, the lovers Italian and it's all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the chefs are British, the mechanics French, the lover's Swiss, the police German and it's all organised by the Italians.

paul14

Has anybody heard a sermon on Covid19 yet?  I haven't.

It seems rendering unto Science is the new dogma.

Greg

Great Britain: Cynicism
France: Superciliousness, with a bitter hatred of the English who dominated them historically.
Germany: Murdering all of the people with a sense of humor.
Spain:  Not too bad, I like them.
Italy: Materialistic
Russia: Fatalists, all of them
China:  Being slavish little drones
Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

Sempronius

For spanish people pride has always been a part of their national character.

Michael Wilson

U.S.A. Were perfect; that's our main vice.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

A. W. Pugin

Quote from: Michael Wilson on July 27, 2020, 12:25:28 PM
U.S.A. Were perfect; that's our main vice.

Yes, greed.

Most likely, the cultural focus on accumulating wealth and possessions is a consequence of the Protestant Work ethic described by Weber, which imbues American society. Instead of making men more conscientious, it has led to avarice and the exploitation of the poor and ordinary working folk.

TradGranny

Here in the US, greed feeds the murder of the unborn, so also do selfishness and a lack of charity.
To have courage for whatever comes in life - everything lies in that.
Saint Teresa of Avila

Greg

America is very charitable. 
Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

A. W. Pugin

Quote from: TradGranny on July 27, 2020, 03:44:04 PM
Here in the US, greed feeds the murder of the unborn, so also do selfishness and a lack of charity.

Would you add narcissism to that list?

paul14

America's vice is Hershey's chocolate.  Give me Galaxy chocolate any day.

edit: Oh, and I forgot to mention; Cheese.  American cheese is horrible.  Maybe in some of the Italian or french districts they have imported stuff or make it illegally.

My personal favourite.  French Normandy Brie.

Speaking of Vice, here is some from Miami ...

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lfgf9HatIHI[/yt]

Reader

Quote from: Greg on July 27, 2020, 04:12:12 PM

Not on a personal level to each other. Just drive here sometime. People can barely fake it as they leave church.

Greg

Quote from: Reader on July 28, 2020, 10:08:10 AM
Quote from: Greg on July 27, 2020, 04:12:12 PM

Not on a personal level to each other. Just drive here sometime. People can barely fake it as they leave church.

Americans give more money to charity than any other nation.
The left Europe alone after WW2 to rebuild itself when they could have very easily made a lot of vassal states out of all of the countries that had worked with the Nazis.
In my experience of Americans, and I have visited all of the 50 states since 1987, they are not an uncharitable bunch of people.  In fact they are definitely in the top 5 percent of the places I have visited.
Iran and Georgia (the country) would be right up there too.

A. W. Pugin

Quote from: Greg on July 28, 2020, 10:40:48 AM
Americans give more money to charity than any other nation.
The left Europe alone after WW2 to rebuild itself when they could have very easily made a lot of vassal states out of all of the countries that had worked with the Nazis.

What about those rubbish ships they sold us during world war II that we only finished paying off a few years ago?