Catholic names for baby...

Started by angelcookie, March 13, 2013, 11:57:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bonaventure

"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

Gottmitunsalex

Quote from: kayla_veronica on March 14, 2013, 08:40:52 AM
I really like the idea of naming children after their parents patron saints. My first girl will be Veronica. 

I also really like:

Dymphna
Philomena
Rita
Maria
Anastasia

Hilary
Isabel
In Latin countries, they name mules Philomena's and Donkeys Philomeno's.
Dymphna, is classical. But I would not name a daughter that. One can only imagine the hardships she would go through when they taunt her @ school.
And Hilary.... Clinton.
Monica, same thing.

Now, William, that's another story!  ;D

I highlighted the nice names from within your list.

"Nothing is more miserable than those people who never failed to attack their own salvation. When there was need to observe the Law, they trampled it under foot. Now that the Law has ceased to bind, they obstinately strive to observe it. What could be more pitiable that those who provoke God not only by transgressing the Law but also by keeping it? But at any rate the Jews say that they, too, adore God. God forbid that I say that. No Jew adores God! Who say so? The Son of God say so. For he said: "If you were to know my Father, you would also know me. But you neither know me nor do you know my Father". Could I produce a witness more trustworthy than the Son of God?"  St. John Chrysostom  Sunday Homily

"The two goals of the Jews: The universal domination of the world and the destruction of Catholicism, out of hatred for Christ" --Mgr. Jouin

kayla_veronica

Quote from: Gottmitunsalex on March 14, 2013, 07:17:26 PM
Quote from: kayla_veronica on March 14, 2013, 08:40:52 AM
I really like the idea of naming children after their parents patron saints. My first girl will be Veronica. 

I also really like:

Dymphna
Philomena
Rita
Maria
Anastasia

Hilary
Isabel
In Latin countries, they name mules Philomena's and Donkeys Philomeno's.
Dymphna, is classical. But I would not name a daughter that. One can only imagine the hardships she would go through when they taunt her @ school.
And Hilary.... Clinton.
Monica, same thing.

Now, William, that's another story!  ;D

I highlighted the nice names from within your list.

One gets made fun of no matter what name they've got. :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
May the most holy, most sacred, most adorable,
most incomprehensible and ineffable Name of God
be forever praised, blessed, loved, adored
and glorified in Heaven, on earth,
and under the earth,
by all the creatures of God,
and by the Sacred Heart of Our Lord Jesus Christ,
in the Most Holy Sacrament of the Altar.
Amen.

Penelope

One problem that my fiance and I will run into in the future is that his family is huge, so a lot of the good names are already taken, especially for boys. Basically all the males in my family are either named Joseph or Michael, but his family already contains a good number of names that I like.  :-\

totiusque

Quote from: Penelope on March 14, 2013, 10:11:08 PM
One problem that my fiance and I will run into in the future is that his family is huge, so a lot of the good names are already taken, especially for boys. Basically all the males in my family are either named Joseph or Michael, but his family already contains a good number of names that I like.  :-\

I doubt Sixtus, Octavius, or Barsanuphius are taken, right?
"Whenever anything disagreeable or displeasing happens to you, remember Christ crucified and be silent."
—St John of the Cross

angelcookie

All I know is if God blesses me with another girl, Penelope is a name I really like. I can't find a saint named Penelope :( I also like Greta or Megan and that's short for Margaret.
What makes it hard is you do the whole we can't use that name because it's so and so's name... Then your left with an odd list.
This boy we are having lucked out with the name Luke :) still looking for middle names for him though. My husband likes Elijah for the middle name but I'm not feelin that one.

Penelope

Quote from: angelcookie on March 14, 2013, 11:22:50 PM
All I know is if God blesses me with another girl, Penelope is a name I really like. I can't find a saint named Penelope

This is funny because of the origin of my username, which is a long story having to do with my birth. It's almost 2 am, though, so I'll have to type it up another time.

totiusque

Quote from: angelcookie on March 14, 2013, 11:22:50 PM
All I know is if God blesses me with another girl, Penelope is a name I really like. I can't find a saint named Penelope :( I also like Greta or Megan and that's short for Margaret.
What makes it hard is you do the whole we can't use that name because it's so and so's name... Then your left with an odd list.
This boy we are having lucked out with the name Luke :) still looking for middle names for him though. My husband likes Elijah for the middle name but I'm not feelin that one.

As long as you avoid Wilson, Perry, or Skywalker, you should be safe with his middle name.  Though I'd probably avoid Adam, too, even if it would be fun to say. 
"Whenever anything disagreeable or displeasing happens to you, remember Christ crucified and be silent."
—St John of the Cross

Mr. Mysterious

Quote from: maryslittlegarden on March 14, 2013, 11:18:45 AM
Hilary is a very nice name (and for some reason does not necesarily make me think of Ms Clinton.)

Didn't you know that Hilary Clinton claimed to be named after Sir Edmund Hillary, the conqueror of Mt. Everest? Trouble was he achieved that feat in 1953 while she was born in 1946!  :laugh:
"Take courage! I have overcome the world." John 16:33

Mr. Mysterious

Quote from: Guapo on March 14, 2013, 10:01:12 AM

Kinda like FDR's wife- my greatgrandmother couldn't stand her, because she was always flying around and not at home
taking care of her children.  Eleanor was hardly used after that as a baby name.  ;D
How many Eleanor's do you know today?
Very few. Most Eleanors were born from the 40's through the 60's and almost without exception come from politically left wing families.

Mr. Mysterious

I would think naming a child after an Old Testament figure is just as valid as naming them after a Saint or even a Pope not Canonized provided that Old Testament figure wasn't some sort of baddie (Ahab, Jezebel, Haman, etc.)

Here's the late George Carlin's take on goofy boy names (warning: foul language.)

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oo8CrY_ZfFk[/yt]

maryslittlegarden

Quote from: The Punisher on March 15, 2013, 01:48:00 PM
Quote from: maryslittlegarden on March 14, 2013, 11:18:45 AM
Hilary is a very nice name (and for some reason does not necesarily make me think of Ms Clinton.)

Didn't you know that Hilary Clinton claimed to be named after Sir Edmund Hillary, the conqueror of Mt. Everest? Trouble was he achieved that feat in 1953 while she was born in 1946!  :laugh:

Ahh... that is funny.  Predestination, maybe.
For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace

angelcookie

I like some OT names. I used one for my daughter, it's perfect because I prayed to God for another baby and her name means life. Plus I really like the name Genevieve but my husband didn't so Eve naturally came from that. Once I realized it meant life, it was done. I accidentally called her Penelope once though when I first brought her home.

piabee

Quote from: angelcookie on March 15, 2013, 08:20:36 PM
I accidentally called her Penelope once though when I first brought her home.

:confused: :lol:

maryslittlegarden

For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace