Is Jacobus really best translated "James"? Why not Jacob?

Started by Xavier, July 26, 2018, 07:33:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jayne

Quote from: Daniel on July 29, 2018, 04:28:02 PM
But whether there is any typology going on, I have no idea. (I wasn't even aware of any typology involving the Judases until Xavier pointed it out...)

In general, typology is not especially obvious and occurs at a deeper level of Scripture study.  Also most types do not share a name with the person they prefigure.  Even if there were a good case that Jacob is an typological relationship with James, this is not an argument for changing the traditional translation of James to Jacob.
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

aquinas138

Quote from: Jayne on July 29, 2018, 01:21:39 PM
Quote from: Jayne on July 29, 2018, 12:55:59 PM
In 5 samples, I did not find any counter-examples.

I realized later that I had only checked European languages, so I looked at a Korean Bible.  It too made a distinction between the names:  ??  and ???  (pronounced /yakob/ and /yakobo/)

That's six for six.

Syriac is the only one I know that renders it the same in both testaments, ????? (ya'qub). Coptic, both Bohairic and Sahidic, as well as Classical Armenian use the Greek forms (more or less).
What shall we call you, O full of grace? * Heaven? for you have shone forth the Sun of Righteousness. * Paradise? for you have brought forth the Flower of immortality. * Virgin? for you have remained incorrupt. * Pure Mother? for you have held in your holy embrace your Son, the God of all. * Entreat Him to save our souls.