"Risen" Movie?

Started by verenaerin, January 22, 2016, 01:55:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

verenaerin

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxgm2TJr2m0[/yt]

Do you think it might be remotely good? If anyone here sees it can you give a review?

Lynne

We saw this trailer in the theatre in December. Thank you for reminding me about it. It looks *very* good.
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

MundaCorMeum

Quote from: Lynne on January 22, 2016, 02:00:11 PM
We saw this trailer in the theatre in December. Thank you for reminding me about it. It looks *very* good.

It does look good! Is this the official sequel to The Passion?

Lynne

Quote from: MundaCorMeum on January 22, 2016, 02:01:54 PM
Quote from: Lynne on January 22, 2016, 02:00:11 PM

It does look good! Is this the official sequel to The Passion?

I doubt it. It would have gotten much more negative press...  ::)

Do you remember all the negative press before The Passion came out? It was as if a certain group was afraid that gangs of movie-goers would go out and start riots.
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Kaesekopf

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

dellery

I always thought Our Lady and the disciples hid themselves for fear of the Jews not for fear of the Romans.
Blessed are those who plant trees under whose shade they will never sit.

The closer you get to life the better death will be; the closer you get to death the better life will be.

Nous Defions
St. Phillip Neri, pray for us.

verenaerin

Quote from: dellery on January 25, 2016, 12:03:55 PM
I always thought Our Lady and the disciples hid themselves for fear of the Jews not for fear of the Romans.

Right, but the Jews used the Romans as executioners. IDK, just throwing it out there.

Elizabeth

The trailer looks great, and I notice it has "Harry Pierce" from MI-5, so that's a plus.

Non Nobis

[Matthew 8:26]  And Jesus saith to them: Why are you fearful, O ye of little faith? Then rising up he commanded the winds, and the sea, and there came a great calm.

[Job  38:1-5]  Then the Lord answered Job out of a whirlwind, and said: [2] Who is this that wrappeth up sentences in unskillful words? [3] Gird up thy loins like a man: I will ask thee, and answer thou me. [4] Where wast thou when I laid up the foundations of the earth? tell me if thou hast understanding. [5] Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it?

Jesus, Mary, I love Thee! Save souls!

Non Nobis

So, has anyone seen it, and what did you think?

Based on the review by the Angelus I may rent it (based perhaps on wishful thinking that there is some good in it; what opportunity there was for such a movie), but with low expectations.

http://angeluspress.org/blog/risen-movie-review/

Here is one of the big negatives:

QuoteWhat was strikingly unnerving about the depiction of the death of Our Lord, however, was the depiction of the Blessed Mother. Instead of suffering with dignity and stoicism, she is shown nearly on the edge of hysteria and collapse. In fact, it is in deference to her that Clavius commands a subordinate of Longinus' to use his spear on the Body of Our Lord instead of breaking His legs. This is one of a few uses of poetic license throughout the film that, while not wrong in and of themselves, definitely push back at our Catholic senses.

and

QuoteOf course, it would be impossible to depict Our Lord in order to make every viewer happy – we all have our own notions of how He must have looked exactly, and spoken. But this depiction, while probably historically accurate in appearance, lacked in seriousness. His characterization was more of a happy uncle or pastor with his arms around his congregation's shoulders, less of the Son of God. Nothing blasphemous, to be sure, but His portrayal certainly fell way short of the mark.

Finally  a half-hearted recommendation:

QuoteOur Final Word:

While as a whole it falls short of our enthusiastic recommendation, it's still an enjoyable movie. But save your money on the theater ticket prices, and wait for it to be available for rental.

How disappointing.
[Matthew 8:26]  And Jesus saith to them: Why are you fearful, O ye of little faith? Then rising up he commanded the winds, and the sea, and there came a great calm.

[Job  38:1-5]  Then the Lord answered Job out of a whirlwind, and said: [2] Who is this that wrappeth up sentences in unskillful words? [3] Gird up thy loins like a man: I will ask thee, and answer thou me. [4] Where wast thou when I laid up the foundations of the earth? tell me if thou hast understanding. [5] Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it?

Jesus, Mary, I love Thee! Save souls!

ResRev

I am usually hesitant to see movies of this type. My eyes bleed by the end. I ruin every movie for my husband because I'm irritated within 5 minutes and I can't just zip it. This movie did not do that to me. Our Lady's reaction to the crucifixion, to me, was not objectionable. Perhaps to someone who has a different impression of her it may have been jarring, but I was not offended. I cringed for just a moment at the treatment of Mary Magdalene but after that moment passed I felt it wasn't malicious, perhaps just ill-advised. It wasn't a deal-breaker. There was a little of the hippie Jesus syndrome, but it didn't irritate me in this movie.

I thought, over all, it was one of the least objectionable movies about Our Lord I have ever seen. I actually liked it a lot. It was touching if you can suspend a little disbelief. Granted, I'm not a very good Catholic and there have been quite a few bad reviews, so your mileage may vary...
"You shall seek me, and shall find me: when you shall seek me with all your heart." Jeremias 29:13

Older Salt

My wife and I saw it, and it is waste of money.
Other than Fiennes fine performance it is Prot treacle.
The Apostles are made to look like retards.

The Ascencion scene is not an Ascencion, but a horizontal walk into a fiery mass.

It is no where near a "Passion sequel'
More like a bad protestant dream.
Stay away from the near occasion of sin

Unless one is deeply attached to the Blessed Virgin Mary, now in time, it impossible to attain salvation.

ResRev

Quote from: Older Salt on March 05, 2016, 05:23:54 PM
My wife and I saw it ad it is waste of money.

The Ascencion scene is not an Ascencion, but a horizontal walk into a fiery mass.

Definitely not a Passion sequel. Agreed. But I didn't think the Apostles looked any worse than in the Gospels (before Pentecost)... Maybe even better. I actually liked the portrayal.
"You shall seek me, and shall find me: when you shall seek me with all your heart." Jeremias 29:13

Bonaventure

I liked it. Nothing will ever be as Catholic as the Passion, but it accurately portrayed the Romans, and showed St. Peter to be in a leadership position. I bet prots didn't like that.
"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

Older Salt

Quote from: ResRev on March 05, 2016, 05:55:14 PM
Quote from: Older Salt on March 05, 2016, 05:23:54 PM
My wife and I saw it ad it is waste of money.

Definitely not a Passion sequel. Agreed. But I didn't think the Apostles looked any worse than in the Gospels (before Pentecost)... Maybe even better. I actually liked the portrayal.
Bartholomew looked like a cross between Benny Hill and Mr Bean.
Stay away from the near occasion of sin

Unless one is deeply attached to the Blessed Virgin Mary, now in time, it impossible to attain salvation.