Bilingual Pun

Started by Jayne, February 15, 2017, 11:36:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jayne

Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

Non Nobis

That's cute.

Was I supposed to really know German in order to get this?  I think I got it!  :)

I hope this isn't lost somewhere in the Alps.
[Matthew 8:26]  And Jesus saith to them: Why are you fearful, O ye of little faith? Then rising up he commanded the winds, and the sea, and there came a great calm.

[Job  38:1-5]  Then the Lord answered Job out of a whirlwind, and said: [2] Who is this that wrappeth up sentences in unskillful words? [3] Gird up thy loins like a man: I will ask thee, and answer thou me. [4] Where wast thou when I laid up the foundations of the earth? tell me if thou hast understanding. [5] Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it?

Jesus, Mary, I love Thee! Save souls!

Bernadette

Oooh, I want knockwrust now. With sauerkraut, potatoes, and carrots. Or bratwurst and onions, which I actually prefer. Though the knockwurst does make excellent sandwiches the next day!  ;D
My Lord and my God.

Maximilian

Here are a couple of bilingual puns:

1. When Dr. Johnson said, "First clear your mind of cant," it was written down wrong by Boswell, and what he really said was "First clear your mind of Kant."

2. What really prompted Proust's memories was not a madeleine, but french toast, and so the original title of the work was "A la recherce de pain perdu."

Bernadette

My Lord and my God.

Daniel

Not bilingual, but we learned this one in high school Spanish class: "Yo como una papa. No como a mi papá." (English: "I eat a potato [papa]. I do not eat my dad [papá].")

edit - And I remember back in high school, how I used to parlay with the cat, or chat with the cake, if you know what I mean. And in those days I washed my hands with soup while eating jam and cheese sandwiches... in Japan.
[spoiler]parle => parlay => I chat => chat => cat => gato => gâteau => cake
soup => sopa => soap => jabón => jamón / Japón => ham / Japan => jam[/spoiler]

Daniel

I just realized, you can find books in the library, libros in the biblioteca, and bibles in the bookery.

Bernadette

Quote from: Daniel on March 06, 2017, 02:35:44 PM
I just realized, you can find books in the library, libros in the biblioteca, and bibles in the bookery.

This. This is my new favorite one.  :grin: :beer: Please say that you came up with this yourself!
My Lord and my God.

Chestertonian

Why does God allow such puns
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

attiret

Quote from: Chestertonian on March 06, 2017, 07:24:57 PM

Enduring them is your Lenten penance.

Chestertonian

Quote from: attiret on March 06, 2017, 07:35:22 PM

Enduring them is your Lenten penance.

Good grief!! I know I'm a worthless simmer and all that, but surely not that bad!!
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

Bernadette

Awww! I'm so sad that you can't enjoy them with me, Ches.  :'(
My Lord and my God.

Jayne

Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

Daniel

I was reading the Etymologies of St. Isidore, and came across a couple more.

This one works in English and in Latin:
A hornet is called a hornet (crabro) because it spontaneously generates from rotting horse (caballus) meat. (At least according to the science of his day...)

And this one works best in Hebrew, but also works in Latin, and in English (if not taken too literally):
The name Adam [?????] means a human (homo) (?????) because Adam's body was made from "humus" (humus) (???????). (Not to be confused with hummus...)