TV You're Watching

Started by piabee, August 02, 2013, 01:22:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry

Quote from: piabee on September 25, 2013, 02:50:13 PM
Quote from: Larry S. on September 25, 2013, 07:40:09 AM
I'm hoping I can watch SHIELD on demand, I forgot it was on last night.

They're running an encore on Thursday night.

Excellent. Thanks for the info! :)
"At the evening of life, we shall be judged on our love."-St. John of the Cross

piabee

DOWNTON ABBEY. Yes I'm cheating.

totiusque

Quote from: piabee on October 13, 2013, 10:48:58 PM
DOWNTON ABBEY. Yes I'm cheating.

What do you think so far?  I'm disappointed in Season 4, especially with the latest episode (#3).
"Whenever anything disagreeable or displeasing happens to you, remember Christ crucified and be silent."
—St John of the Cross

piabee

Only seen episode 1 so far but I enjoyed it.

The Harlequin King

I've seen 3 episodes of this season's Downton. It's alright, but I never come to that particular series with high expectations. I just treat it like a period soap opera with a bigger budget.

totiusque

Quote from: The Harlequin King on October 14, 2013, 01:45:16 AM
I've seen 3 episodes of this season's Downton. It's alright, but I never come to that particular series with high expectations. I just treat it like a period soap opera with a bigger budget.

Yeah, I suppose I can see your point, but...  Only read this if you've seen Episode 3 -[spoiler]I just think they pushed the envelope too far with the last episode.  It seems like they created this new drama of Anna's rape and her subsequent lying about it to Bates to keep things interesting, as if all the other stuff going on at Downton wasn't enough to keep people entertained.  I don't know, it just seemed about as contrived as Matthew's death at the end of last season. [/spoiler]
"Whenever anything disagreeable or displeasing happens to you, remember Christ crucified and be silent."
—St John of the Cross

The Harlequin King

Quote from: totiusque on October 14, 2013, 02:42:42 AM
Quote from: The Harlequin King on October 14, 2013, 01:45:16 AM

Yeah, I suppose I can see your point, but...  Only read this if you've seen Episode 3 -[spoiler]I just think they pushed the envelope too far with the last episode.  It seems like they created this new drama of Anna's rape and her subsequent lying about it to Bates to keep things interesting, as if all the other stuff going on at Downton wasn't enough to keep people entertained.  I don't know, it just seemed about as contrived as Matthew's death at the end of last season. [/spoiler]

[spoiler]The rape did seem more fitting for Game of Thrones than Downton, yeah. As for Matthew, it was contrived because Dan Stevens was bored of the role and didn't want to come back for the next season, so the writers had to kill him off. If I were in charge, I would've just recast him, but to be honest, the character was so milquetoast, I can't say I miss him at all.[/spoiler]

totiusque

Quote from: The Harlequin King on October 14, 2013, 02:51:55 AM
[spoiler]The rape did seem more fitting for Game of Thrones than Downton, yeah. As for Matthew, it was contrived because Dan Stevens was bored of the role and didn't want to come back for the next season, so the writers had to kill him off. If I were in charge, I would've just recast him, but to be honest, the character was so milquetoast, I can't say I miss him at all.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Yeah, I don't miss him either, but the car accident was just silly, IMHO.  He could've died in the war or any other countless ways that would've been fitting.  The actor put the writers in a bind, and they couldn't write their way out of it, I guess.  And right after seeing his new baby for the first time?  Puhleeze.[/spoiler]
—St John of the Cross

maryslittlegarden

For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace

piabee

Episode 2 just felt like filler after that contrived plot point at the beginning. Re episode 3, Mrs. Hughes seemed far too matter-of-fact even if it were a known problem at the time. [spoiler]I just hope Anna isn't pregnant. And I automatically hate Lord Gillingham based on his valet.[/spoiler]

Kaesekopf

Y'all lucky you been using spoiler tags.
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

MilesChristi

just burned through Lost a couple of days ago
The world is charged with the grandeur of God.
    It will flame out, like shining from shook foil;
    It gathers to a greatness, like the ooze of oil
Crushed. Why do men then now not reck his rod?
Generations have trod, have trod, have trod;
    And all is seared with trade; bleared, smeared with toil;
    And wears man's smudge and shares man's smell: the soil
Is bare now, nor can foot feel, being shod.

And for all this, nature is never spent;
    There lives the dearest freshness deep down things;
And though the last lights off the black West went
    Oh, morning, at the brown brink eastward, springs —
Because the Holy Ghost over the bent
    World broods with warm breast and with ah! bright wings.

Jayne

Netflix recently put out "Human Target" which I had never heard of before.  I liked it.  I enjoyed the characters.  The hero is really heroic and also a reformed bad guy which is my favourite kind of hero.  Also lots of action and great fighting.
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

The Harlequin King

Jayne, I've been watching a series which you may possibly like. It's called Arrow, and it's about Green Arrow (the DC Comics character). For a show on the CW, it's surprisingly good.

Jayne

Quote from: The Harlequin King on October 14, 2013, 01:51:23 PM
Jayne, I've been watching a series which you may possibly like. It's called Arrow, and it's about Green Arrow (the DC Comics character). For a show on the CW, it's surprisingly good.

I did take a look at it in its first season because I usually do like comic book adaptations but I didn't get into it for some reason.  I can't remember why.  Maybe I should give it another try.
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.