TV You're Watching

Started by piabee, August 02, 2013, 01:22:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LouisIX

We don't have cable but do watch a decent amount of tv shows on Netflix and Hulu.  We watch Parks and Recreation and Breaking Bad, but with those shows on hiatus I've been watching Cheers lately.
IF I speak with the tongues of men, and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

Der Kaiser

Quote from: Othmar on August 02, 2013, 05:15:17 AM
Quote from: Der Kaiser on August 02, 2013, 05:03:37 AM
Quote from: Othmar on August 02, 2013, 04:35:16 AM
I'm currently watching both the IT Crowd (which people recommended to me after I watched Big Bang Theory and really disliked it) and Terry Jones' Medieval Lives. So far they're both quite good.

Big Bang Theory can be a bit vulgar at times, but I went to School with nerds just like those guys so I can relate. However I have never had a neighbor that looks like Penny so I can not relate to that.   8)
I'm rather like one of those guys, and the show's kinda insulting. It seems that being a geek/nerd is the punchline of every joke in the episodes I've watched. Basing myself on the laugh track, you're not supposed to laugh at the references (not that such lazy humour is actually funny), but simply because they say 'nerdish' stuff. And Sheldon is quite obviously a stereotypical Asperger without any redeeming qualities.

Yeah, I can see that. I hung out with the nerds and was a nerd of a different type myself so to me it's just like ribbing a friend. Sheldon is funny, but his character is over the top. Also I have never seen any University professors that live in a small apartment. Also what is with the hair and clothes the guys wear. It is set in contemporary times, but it looks like the nerd version of That 70's Show. ???
"If a Pope changes the rites of the sacraments he puts himself outside the Church and is Anathema"-Pope Innocent III

"Rome will lose the faith and become the seat of Anti-Christ"-Our Lady of La Sallette

The hebrews have not recognized the lord, therefore we can not recognize the hebrews.-St Pius X

zork

I forgot to add-- Since I received the complete original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles series on DVD for my birthday, I'm occasioinally watching that, too.

Didn't ask for it, and it was a total surprise...but I would've bought it anyway.

EDIT: Forgot to add Psych to my list.
Christus vincit, Christus regnat, Christus imperat.

The Harlequin King

Quote from: vakarian on August 03, 2013, 09:30:27 AM
I forgot to add-- Since I received the complete original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles series on DVD for my birthday, I'm occasioinally watching that, too.

Didn't ask for it, and it was a total surprise...but I would've bought it anyway.

Nice. I wish someone would think of something like that for one of my birthdays.

Adeodatus

Quote from: The Harlequin King on August 03, 2013, 11:47:15 AM
Nice. I wish someone would think of something like that for one of my birthdays.

Just do what I would do: tell people what to buy you. Usually what I actually want is so obscure that no one would ever guess anyway. Even a "can't miss" topic like Borodino is suboptimal... I already have the best treatments in my library. If Mikaberidze has a new book coming out on The Great Redoubt then I'm sure I know about that months before any of my intimates would, etc.

Of course, my wife is the only person who actually ever buys me anything, but if I did get presents, that's how it would be.
¡Viva Cristo Rey!
Sh'ma Yisrael Adonai Eloheinu Adonai E?ad

The Harlequin King

Quote from: Adeodatus on August 03, 2013, 11:58:38 AM
Just do what I would do: tell people what to buy you. Usually what I actually want is so obscure that no one would ever guess anyway. Even a "can't miss" topic like Borodino is suboptimal... I already have the best treatments in my library. If Mikaberidze has a new book coming out on The Great Redoubt then I'm sure I know about that months before any of my intimates would, etc.

Of course, my wife is the only person who actually ever buys me anything, but if I did get presents, that's how it would be.

Was about to say, I have entertained the idea of creating a wishlist, but nobody buys me anything for my birthday, anyway. Maybe I should create one anyway to build up expectations.

totiusque

During the Summer hiatus, been re-watching The Office (both US and UK, though I remembered the UK version being funnier the first time I watched them).

When Fall gets here -

Walking Dead
Downton Abbey
Person of Interest
The Mentalist
Psych
Once Upon a Time
"Whenever anything disagreeable or displeasing happens to you, remember Christ crucified and be silent."
—St John of the Cross

OCLittleFlower

I watch on an actual TV -- I like being able to have the laptop out for typing and browsing while still having TV on.

I'm a Downton Abbey fan.  I also watch Once Upon a Time and various talent competitions -- America's Got Talent is the main one now.  Turns out a girl I grew up with is in the competition this year.  She hasn't had her crack at the live shows yet, but I'll be voting for her once she does.
-- currently writing a Trad romance entitled Flirting with Sedevacantism --

???? ?? ?????? ????????? ???, ?? ?????.

The Harlequin King

Quote from: totiusque on August 03, 2013, 07:35:56 PM
During the Summer hiatus, been re-watching The Office (both US and UK, though I remembered the UK version being funnier the first time I watched them).

When Fall gets here -

Walking Dead
Downton Abbey
Person of Interest
The Mentalist
Psych
Once Upon a Time

I feel like I'm the only one out of my friends to not have seen The Walking Dead yet. Hard to convince me to get into the zombie genre, I guess. But I've heard both the original comics and the games are also good.

I'm also looking forward to Person of Interest resuming. Tried to get into Once Upon a Time, but, I dunno. Guess I could try again....

As for other shows in the fall, I'm gearing up for:

Luther series 3 (a police procedural on BBC set in contemporary London starring Idris Elba, not anything to do with Martin)
[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5yY7MOUKIs[/yt]

And of course, Downton Abbey and Boardwalk Empire, which are both set in the 1920's but are.... well, thematically quite different.

Der Kaiser

Quote from: The Harlequin King on August 03, 2013, 11:03:25 PM
Quote from: totiusque on August 03, 2013, 07:35:56 PM

When Fall gets here -

Walking Dead
Downton Abbey
Person of Interest
The Mentalist
Psych
Once Upon a Time

I feel like I'm the only one out of my friends to not have seen The Walking Dead yet. Hard to convince me to get into the zombie genre, I guess. But I've heard both the original comics and the games are also good.

The first season was good. It has started to go down since then though. I watched them with a friend though I also am not into the zombie fad. I am looking forward to Dracula on NBC this fall with Henry Rhys Myers of The Tudors. I hope they dont screw it up too bad. I am very leery of anything Vampire since TIm Burton butchered Dark Shadows
"If a Pope changes the rites of the sacraments he puts himself outside the Church and is Anathema"-Pope Innocent III

"Rome will lose the faith and become the seat of Anti-Christ"-Our Lady of La Sallette

The hebrews have not recognized the lord, therefore we can not recognize the hebrews.-St Pius X

totiusque

Quote from: The Harlequin King on August 03, 2013, 11:03:25 PM

I'm also looking forward to Person of Interest resuming. Tried to get into Once Upon a Time, but, I dunno. Guess I could try again....

I don't consider myself a big fan of the zombie genre, but sometimes they just make for good entertainment.  I really liked Shaun of the Dead and Warm Bodies, though they're not exactly your typical zombie flicks.  I didn't really care for World War Z as it seemed to me just another version of Outbreak.  As for The Walking Dead, I really like the characters and the moral dilemmas they face.  I preferred the first 2 seasons to the last one (first one especially), but here's hoping Season 4 will bring back some of that early magic.

The same goes for Once Upon a Time.  I really enjoyed the first season, but the second season wasn't as good, IMHO.  It's really just a show that I can watch with the wife without having to think too much.  The acting isn't that great, the stories are far-fetched, and the characters are unbelievable, but it can still be a lot of fun to watch.  Go figure.
"Whenever anything disagreeable or displeasing happens to you, remember Christ crucified and be silent."
—St John of the Cross

Der Kaiser

Quote from: totiusque on August 03, 2013, 11:47:15 PM

The same goes for Once Upon a Time.  I really enjoyed the first season, but the second season wasn't as good, IMHO.  It's really just a show that I can watch with the wife without having to think too much.  The acting isn't that great, the stories are far-fetched, and the characters are unbelievable, but it can still be a lot of fun to watch.  Go figure.

Don't know what it is, but I can not stand Once Upon a Time. A girlfriend of mine loved it and tried to get me to watch it finally after about 4 episodes on the third try of watching it I had to be like "look I just can't do this, this show is beyond bad."

totiusque

Quote from: Der Kaiser on August 03, 2013, 11:50:04 PM
Don't know what it is, but I can not stand Once Upon a Time. A girlfriend of mine loved it and tried to get me to watch it finally after about 4 episodes on the third try of watching it I had to be like "look I just can't do this, this show is beyond bad."

If I had to give you a reason why I watch it, I'd be hard pressed to give you a good answer.  It's definitely not one that I excitedly await each week for new episodes.  I think now I've just got to the point where I've gone too far and I should probably find out what happens or else all my time the past 2 years would have been wasted.

I will say this, though.  I can honestly say that I enjoyed the first season, even with all its faults.  I liked the way they tied in the "real" world with the fairytale world.  I've also liked Gold/Rumplestiltskin's character development over the series.  Snow White, on the other hand, is one of the most annoying characters on TV.  In fact, if it wasn't for that ultra-annoying girl on Revolution (which I had to stop watching because of her), Snow White would win hands down.
—St John of the Cross

Bonaventure

Baseball. We're having a terrible season.
"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

The Harlequin King

Quote from: Der Kaiser on August 03, 2013, 11:50:04 PM

That's basically how it panned out for me.

I initially heard about it because Rafael Sbarge (the guy who plays as Jiminy Cricket) is also a voice actor for some games like Mass Effect. I liked the evil queen, and that's about it.