Hour of our death?

Started by Daniel, February 03, 2020, 05:50:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daniel

In the Ave Maria, I notice that the phrase "hour of our death" is singular. What does this mean exactly?

I used to think we were asking Mary to pray for each of us in our respective dying moments. But if that were the case, I'd think it should be plural: "the hour (hours?) of our deaths". Seems more like it's referring to the collective death of mankind. But that doesn't make much sense, since men die individually rather than collectively. Or could it be referring to the second coming?

I'm just wondering what exactly we should be praying for, when we speak this line...

Non Nobis

Quote from: Daniel on February 03, 2020, 05:50:18 AM
In the Ave Maria, I notice that the phrase "hour of our death" is singular. What does this mean exactly?

I used to think we were asking Mary to pray for each of us in our respective dying moments. But if that were the case, I'd think it should be plural: "the hour (hours?) of our deaths". Seems more like it's referring to the collective death of mankind. But that doesn't make much sense, since men die individually rather than collectively. Or could it be referring to the second coming?

I'm just wondering what exactly we should be praying for, when we speak this line...

We're asking Our Lady to pray for ALL of US sinners individually NOW and at that specific time for each one of US when it most matters, at the hour of OUR death when our own salvation is at stake. The prayers at our death are particular, not collective, but we also ask Our Lady to pray for all those saying the Hail Mary as her children all through their lives.

You make things MUCH too difficult Daniel.  How have millions of Catholic children and adults managed to say the Hail Mary rightly before you? I hope Our Lady makes things easier for You.  Like all of us you need her help long before "the second coming" so pray for your own life and death now.
[Matthew 8:26]  And Jesus saith to them: Why are you fearful, O ye of little faith? Then rising up he commanded the winds, and the sea, and there came a great calm.

[Job  38:1-5]  Then the Lord answered Job out of a whirlwind, and said: [2] Who is this that wrappeth up sentences in unskillful words? [3] Gird up thy loins like a man: I will ask thee, and answer thou me. [4] Where wast thou when I laid up the foundations of the earth? tell me if thou hast understanding. [5] Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it?

Jesus, Mary, I love Thee! Save souls!