Last movie you saw?

Started by tmw89, December 27, 2012, 03:03:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mono no aware

These aren't the last two movies I saw, but I watched them recently and they're both available for streaming on Netflix.  The first was Moonwalkers, a paint-by-numbers British action-comedy elevated by its high concept and late-60s period setting: it imagines a world in which the Apollo 11 moon landing conspiracy is true, and that Stanley Kubrick was hired by the CIA to fake the footage.  A pair of slackers, however, manage to dupe the lead CIA agent into believing that one of them (a spaced-out druggie) is Kubrick.  Hijinks ensue.

The second was Filmworker, a documentary about Leon Vitali, who gave up his career as an actor to become Kubrick's personal assistant, which you would think would be the greatest job in the world, but apparently Kubrick's obsessiveness took a demanding toll.  Vitali was the actor who played Lord Bullingdon in Barry Lyndon and delivered one of its most memorable lines: "I have not received satisfaction."  Anyway, it's a lovely testament to the collaborative marriage between an obsessive master and an assistant obsessed with realizing the master's vision, to the point of nearly complete self-surrender.  A treat for obsessives.  There's even a scene where Vitali is asked whether he believes Kubrick faked the moon landing (answer: no).

I think these two movies would make a good Kubrick-themed double feature.  It's not available for streaming, but the addition of Room 237 would make for a good triple feature.

Heinrich

These sound as exciting as a soccer game, Pon.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Jacob

The Passion of Joan of Arc.

At the start it was listed as PG.  I had seen parts before where they were interrogating Joan.  Intense.  I could see how they would list it as PG.

And then came the climax of the burning and all.  Hard R!  Hard R!

Highly recommend.
"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
--Neal Stephenson

Jacob

Finding Vivian Maier, a documentary about the nanny who was a prolific photographer, her life, how her work was discovered after her death, its artistic merit, etc.

Recommend.
"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
--Neal Stephenson

Heinrich

"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Jacob

Bergman's Winter Light.  I saw it was on in the middle of the night the other day and today it showed up through my cable's On Demand, so I watched it.
--Neal Stephenson

Lynne

They Shall Not Grow Old, directed by Peter Jackson, about the Brits who signed up to fight in World War I.

*Terribly* depressing. They took old film footage, digitized it and kind of wove a story out of it. So all the dead bodies of humans and horses that you see were truly dead, not actors. Lice, rats, etc. in 3D.  :'(

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/They_Shall_Not_Grow_Old

In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Heinrich

Standoff at Sparrow Creek. Think Pon de Replay, Gardener, Michael Wilson, Heinrich and INPEFESS holed up in a Whodunnit?

Jacob

--Neal Stephenson

Non Nobis

Frequency, 2000 with Jim Caviezel and Dennis Quaid

Loved this movie!  Son saves father from dying; but it is through a sort of time-travel: son in 1999 warns his father who's  in 1969 (before he died), using a "magical" ham radio. Many lives put into danger (or died in the past) because of changing the past, but father and son work together to undo the troubles and make the present better for both of them.  A lot of warm father/son relationship stuff but also a lot of violence and excitement (grisly at times).  Really keeps you on your toes.

I think most males but also many females would enjoy this (not for little kids).
[Matthew 8:26]  And Jesus saith to them: Why are you fearful, O ye of little faith? Then rising up he commanded the winds, and the sea, and there came a great calm.

[Job  38:1-5]  Then the Lord answered Job out of a whirlwind, and said: [2] Who is this that wrappeth up sentences in unskillful words? [3] Gird up thy loins like a man: I will ask thee, and answer thou me. [4] Where wast thou when I laid up the foundations of the earth? tell me if thou hast understanding. [5] Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it?

Jesus, Mary, I love Thee! Save souls!

Jacob

A Man for All Seasons with Paul Scofield.

This is particularly true for our time:

The Duke of Norfolk: Oh confound all this. I'm not a scholar, I don't know whether the marriage was lawful or not but– dammit, Thomas, look at these names! Why can't you do as I did and come with us, for fellowship!
More: And when we die, and you are sent to heaven for doing your conscience, and I am sent to hell for not doing mine, will you come with me, for fellowship?

Now I need to track down the '88 TV movie with Charlton Heston as More.
--Neal Stephenson

Heinrich

Creed 2. What waste of a great idea.

red solo cup

The Highwaymen with Harrelson and Kostner. Not bad. I liked that they showed a Colt Monitor machine rifle. I had never heard of them.
non impediti ratione cogitationis

red solo cup

Outlaw King on Netflix. Not bad, seemed reasonably accurate. They showed the Scots using Lochaber axes in battle. But I had my doubts about Bruce killing Comyn at Greyfiars. It portrayed them as alone with Bruce killing an unarmed Comyn, who threatened to betray Bruce to King Edward.
non impediti ratione cogitationis

Mono no aware

The Vanishing (2018).  A taut, minimalist almost-masterpiece of psychological tension with excellent scenery: a bleak, craggy, moss-covered island in the Outer Hebrides.  It hypothesizes a cause for the Flannan Isles Lighthouse mystery, where three keepers inexplicably disappeared.

Not the best movie of 2018 (that honor belongs to Suspiria), but an underrated thriller, and definitely in the top ten.