Correcting Misconceptions About The Inquisitions

Started by bilbobaggins, June 07, 2024, 01:44:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bilbobaggins

This is the first in a series of articles I wrote on the Inquisitions. Among the modern misconceptions about the Middle Ages, our ideas about the Inquisitions are perhaps the furthest from historical reality.

https://www.historyisnowmagazine.com/blog/2024/6/4/just-what-were-the-inquisitions-of-the-middle-ages-part-1-introduction
Jeb Smith is the author of four books to date, the most recent being Missing Monarchy: Correcting Misconceptions About The Middle Ages, Medieval Kingship, Democracy, And Liberty. Before that, he wrote and published Middle-earth Lore: Tolkien's Legends Revealed and another book on J.R.R. Tolkien's works, and also authored Defending Dixie's Land: What Every American Should Know About The South And The Civil War, written under the name Isaac C. Bishop. Smith has authored multiple articles on various blogs and websites, including History is Now Magazine and Medieval History.

Michael Wilson

Great Article, Bilbo, are you on the way to Rome?
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Bonaventure

Thank you. Will give it a read. I did a lot of my undergrad work on the Medieval Inquisition.

bilbobaggins

Quote from: Michael Wilson on June 07, 2024, 03:48:13 PMGreat Article, Bilbo, are you on the way to Rome?

Perhaps this summer.

Oh, and thanks for the positive feedback.
Jeb Smith is the author of four books to date, the most recent being Missing Monarchy: Correcting Misconceptions About The Middle Ages, Medieval Kingship, Democracy, And Liberty. Before that, he wrote and published Middle-earth Lore: Tolkien's Legends Revealed and another book on J.R.R. Tolkien's works, and also authored Defending Dixie's Land: What Every American Should Know About The South And The Civil War, written under the name Isaac C. Bishop. Smith has authored multiple articles on various blogs and websites, including History is Now Magazine and Medieval History.

diaduit

Quote from: bilbobaggins on June 07, 2024, 01:44:42 PMThis is the first in a series of articles I wrote on the Inquisitions. Among the modern misconceptions about the Middle Ages, our ideas about the Inquisitions are perhaps the furthest from historical reality.

https://www.historyisnowmagazine.com/blog/2024/6/4/just-what-were-the-inquisitions-of-the-middle-ages-part-1-introduction

Fascinating, thanks BB...just sent the link of your blog to a Spanish student age 16 I had recently who defends monarchy and knows full well how history being taught nowadays is fake.  His take was that 50/50 youths are on to the bs.

bilbobaggins

Quote from: diaduit on June 08, 2024, 02:55:27 AM
Quote from: bilbobaggins on June 07, 2024, 01:44:42 PMThis is the first in a series of articles I wrote on the Inquisitions. Among the modern misconceptions about the Middle Ages, our ideas about the Inquisitions are perhaps the furthest from historical reality.

Fascinating, thanks BB...just sent the link of your blog to a Spanish student age 16 I had recently who defends monarchy and knows full well how history being taught nowadays is fake.  His take was that 50/50 youths are on to the bs.

That is wonderful!

If he defends Monarchy, he would enjoy my new book, Missing Monarchy. It would provide him with plenty of ammunition for showing why modernity/democracy is a terrible form of government and why Monarchy is best.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0D5HS99QX