What should I do about this

Started by TandJ, March 20, 2024, 11:13:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TandJ

So when I go to confession I confess all the sins I can remember but recently I became aware of the sin of scandal and how it has to be confessed at a circumstance. How should I go back and add them to all my sins from 15 years?

How would you confess a sin of impure thought that happens thru the *complete* marital act if you know what I mean. I know pollution is a circumstance that has to be confessed but what about if it happens thru the marital act instead? Do these things matter to the integrity of confession?

I have just been confessing them as "through the complete marital act I entertained thoughts of____" but I see some people just say impure thoughts without saying if they uh *completed* or not

TandJ

Also would you say this is a pretty good examination for someone prone to scruping out? Does it look adequate?

https://www.scribd.com/doc/121578783/confession

Mushroom

I'm not sure if lustful thoughts during the marital act is venial and not mortal. I haven't found much information on this.

Melkite

Quote from: TandJ on March 20, 2024, 11:13:43 AMSo when I go to confession I confess all the sins I can remember but recently I became aware of the sin of scandal and how it has to be confessed at a circumstance. How should I go back and add them to all my sins from 15 years?

How would you confess a sin of impure thought that happens thru the *complete* marital act if you know what I mean. I know pollution is a circumstance that has to be confessed but what about if it happens thru the marital act instead? Do these things matter to the integrity of confession?

I have just been confessing them as "through the complete marital act I entertained thoughts of____" but I see some people just say impure thoughts without saying if they uh *completed* or not

I'd say Catholicism warns you away from such levels of scrupulosity.

TandJ

Quote from: Melkite on March 20, 2024, 01:05:48 PM
Quote from: TandJ on March 20, 2024, 11:13:43 AMSo when I go to confession I confess all the sins I can remember but recently I became aware of the sin of scandal and how it has to be confessed at a circumstance. How should I go back and add them to all my sins from 15 years?

Of course that's why I'm asking people with normal conscious what to do because I can't rely on mine

ChairmanJoeAintMyPrez

Quote from: Mushroom on March 20, 2024, 12:18:47 PMI'm not sure if lustful thoughts during the marital act is venial and not mortal. I haven't found much information on this.

There's no such thing as "lusting" for one's wife, unless one is truly treating her as an object and not as a person.

If the penitent was lusting after someone other than his wife (i.e. "thinking of somebody else",) that's just the sin of entertaining impure thoughts, albeit made more grave by the circumstances.
this page left intentionally blank

Greg

After 25 years of marriage you're doing well if you can lust after your wife at all.
Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

Mushroom

Quote from: ChairmanJoeAintMyPrez on March 20, 2024, 01:41:42 PMtaining impure thoughts, albeit made more grave by the circumstances.

I meant not thinking about their spouse.

TandJ

Quote from: ChairmanJoeAintMyPrez on March 20, 2024, 01:41:42 PM
Quote from: Mushroom on March 20, 2024, 12:18:47 PMI'm not sure if lustful thoughts during the marital act is venial and not mortal. I haven't found much information on this.

There's no such thing as "lusting" for one's wife, unless one is truly treating her as an object and not as a person.

If the penitent was lusting after someone other than his wife (i.e. "thinking of somebody else",) that's just the sin of entertaining impure thoughts, albeit made more grave by the circumstances.

Yes it wasn't my spouse. And it wasn't regular things I was thinking of so how should a person confess this without causing scandal to the priest

ChairmanJoeAintMyPrez

Quote from: TandJ on March 20, 2024, 02:52:01 PMYes it wasn't my spouse. And it wasn't regular things I was thinking of so how should a person confess this without causing scandal to the priest

Kind and number, generally.  We don't include other information unless the other information makes the sin worse.  "I stole $300" is not as serious as "I stole $300 from a destitute family who will now be unable to make rent."

In this case, the extra information might make things worse, so I'd include it:

"During intercourse with my spouse, I consented to and entertained impure thoughts of someone who is not my spouse.  Once."

Priests have heard it all.

benedicite

Once you receive absolution all of your sins are forgiven. If you want to mention a previous sin that you have forgotten, you can do so but you should not worry over what you may have forgotten. 

Lynne

Quote from: TandJ on March 20, 2024, 11:39:08 AMAlso would you say this is a pretty good examination for someone prone to scruping out? Does it look adequate?

https://www.scribd.com/doc/121578783/confession

It appears to be good, written for an adult convert, but if one doesn't subscribe to scribd, they can't see the whole article.
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

diaduit

Did you consent to the thoughts or was it just intrusive thoughts that can happen to anyone, its the difference between indulging the fantasy or having a few seconds thought and then saying, no I don't want this which is not sinful afaik. 

ChairmanJoeAintMyPrez

Quote from: diaduit on March 21, 2024, 03:13:49 AMDid you consent to the thoughts or was it just intrusive thoughts that can happen to anyone, its the difference between indulging the fantasy or having a few seconds thought and then saying, no I don't want this which is not sinful afaik. 

This is a very good question.  People with scrupulosity really need to follow the advice of their confessors about whether to include thoughts in their confessions.

Bonaventure

Quote from: Melkite on March 20, 2024, 01:05:48 PM

I agree with Melkite.

You appear far too scrupulous.

When I make my confessions, I state "for these and for all of my sins, I am truly sorry" at the very end.

Trust in the mercy and love of our Lord Jesus Christ. He poured out His precious blood on the Cross for love of you, and washes away all of your sins.
"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."