Opulence in Restaurant Food

Started by drummerboy, January 05, 2024, 01:13:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drummerboy

So I was stuck in the waiting room for an oil change, and was watching Food Network (better than gas HGTV at least).  But I couldn't help being taken aback at the sizes of some of these meals.  It was some BBQ/burger joint show, and some of these meals had to have been 2 or more pounds of meat on a massive serving platter, or several meats.  One place served loaded nachos from a 2 gallon trash bucket (although that was for several people).  And the burgers were so massive it was the size of the plate and it was a job just getting it their mouth.  Am I the only one that finds this scandalous or overly excessive?
- I'll get with the times when the times are worth getting with

"I like grumpy old cusses.  Hope to live long enough to be one" - John Wayne

LausTibiChriste

Quote from: drummerboy on January 05, 2024, 01:13:22 PMSo I was stuck in the waiting room for an oil change, and was watching Food Network (better than gas HGTV at least).  But I couldn't help being taken aback at the sizes of some of these meals.  It was some BBQ/burger joint show, and some of these meals had to have been 2 or more pounds of meat on a massive serving platter, or several meats.  One place served loaded nachos from a 2 gallon trash bucket (although that was for several people).  And the burgers were so massive it was the size of the plate and it was a job just getting it their mouth.  Am I the only one that finds this scandalous or overly excessive?

I can promise you everyone outside your fat-ass country is indeed finding it scandalous and excessive.
Lord Jesus Christ, Son Of God, Have Mercy On Me A Sinner

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

Communism is as American as Apple Pie

Mirantus

Quote from: LausTibiChriste on January 05, 2024, 01:52:04 PM
Quote from: drummerboy on January 05, 2024, 01:13:22 PMSo I was stuck in the waiting room for an oil change, and was watching Food Network (better than gas HGTV at least).  But I couldn't help being taken aback at the sizes of some of these meals.  It was some BBQ/burger joint show, and some of these meals had to have been 2 or more pounds of meat on a massive serving platter, or several meats.  One place served loaded nachos from a 2 gallon trash bucket (although that was for several people).  And the burgers were so massive it was the size of the plate and it was a job just getting it their mouth.  Am I the only one that finds this scandalous or overly excessive?

I can promise you everyone outside your fat-ass country is indeed finding it scandalous and excessive.

I wouldn't phrase it like that.. but yes indeed American portions are outrageously big for us in Europe.

Kaesekopf

I dunno.  I kinda dig leftovers.
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

maryslittlegarden

Quote from: LausTibiChriste on January 05, 2024, 01:52:04 PM

Pretty much. I can get at least three meals out of one restaurant meal. And I am not exactly a light weight (although trying to get rid of said weight.)
For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace

ChairmanJoeAintMyPrez

It is a sure sign that a restaurant is probably not worth your money when they attempt to stand out by increasing portion sizes.
this page left intentionally blank

drummerboy

Quote from: ChairmanJoeAintMyPrez on January 05, 2024, 04:26:10 PMIt is a sure sign that a restaurant is probably not worth your money when they attempt to stand out by increasing portion sizes.

After awhile you do notice the lack of genuine creativity.  I love a good BBQ myself, but eventually its just dumping more of ____ on a plate. 
- I'll get with the times when the times are worth getting with

"I like grumpy old cusses.  Hope to live long enough to be one" - John Wayne

The Curt Jester

You can always eat half of it (or less) and keep the rest for another meal.  Or you can order one meal and share it.  Nothing says you have to make it scandalous by glomming the whole thing by yourself.
The royal feast was done; the King
Sought some new sport to banish care,
And to his jester cried: "Sir Fool,
Kneel now, and make for us a prayer!"

The jester doffed his cap and bells,
And stood the mocking court before;
They could not see the bitter smile
Behind the painted grin he wore.

He bowed his head, and bent his knee
Upon the Monarch's silken stool;
His pleading voice arose: "O Lord,
Be merciful to me, a fool!"

Mushroom

My husband and I have shared food if it is alot (not really the case). Or like someone else mentioned, refrigerate it for tomorrow. I might eat that burger myself if I haven't eaten anything all day and it was one of those days where you are travelling/driving alot.

Michael Wilson

Somebody mentioned the problem of large backsides in the U.S. Yes, gluttony is a big problem in the U.S. Adding to this is the generally unhealthy eating habits of a great deal of the population. Apart from the over the top consumption of soda pop, there is a problem of too much fast food, which is very high in calories, and especially in the form of carbohydrates. I recently had to visit a dialysis center at a clinic, and I was struck by the almost totality of over-weight/obese patients. Most of these people are probably people that ate themselves into a type-2 diabetes, and then into a type I. I knew two friends who did this to themselves; neither one was obese, but both of them had unhealthy diets; and instead of changing their diets, after they were counseled by their respective doctors, that the Type 2 diabetes could be controlled by diet and exercise, they "cheated" their way into type 1.
How sad. 
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Joseph_3

The historic reason we have larger portions in America is because of our grand excess of food and land. In the old days when men actually labored these portions were only sustaining. It was with the rise of sedentary work that Americans began fattening up on a noticeable scale. It was not until relatively recently (80's, 90's), with the ubiquitous addition of hormone altering chemicals, sugars, salts, and plant oils, that America really became fat. 

I do not eat any food with chemicals in them. I won't even touch citric acid (which is actually derived from a black mold: Aspergillus Niger). I live on milk, meat, potatoes, unleavened bread, fish, and the occasional fruit. I usually eat huge quantities of food that impress even the fat people. I go to the gym and work hard labor and maintain 190 lbs at 6'0 with low fat.

When Europe had more land and less people I suspect that the Europeans ate higher quantities as well.

ChairmanJoeAintMyPrez

Quote from: Joseph_3 on January 14, 2024, 06:31:05 PMI won't even touch citric acid (which is actually derived from a black mold: Aspergillus Niger).

In fairness, it's still pretty good for cleaning one's kitchen implements, at high enough concentrations.
this page left intentionally blank

Joseph_3

Quote from: ChairmanJoeAintMyPrez on January 15, 2024, 08:42:43 AM
Quote from: Joseph_3 on January 14, 2024, 06:31:05 PMI won't even touch citric acid (which is actually derived from a black mold: Aspergillus Niger).

In fairness, it's still pretty good for cleaning one's kitchen implements, at high enough concentrations.

Xanthan gum is good for cleaning factory floors. The d3 in your milk (Cholecalciferol) is coincidently toxic to nearly every other mammal on the planet EXCEPT humans! How coincidental! But if you look further into it "Cholecalciferol has a very narrow margin of safety, which means that even small ingestion of this poison can result in severe clinical signs or death."

"Generally safe for human consumption" they say.

To be fair, cholecalciferol is "generally safe" in the controlled dosage that they use in A SINGLE serving size. The effects of long term ingestion are not considered however.

Michael Wilson

Joseph,
in my time spent in Europe, especially Spain, I would say that Europeans eat as much as Americans in amounts. For example, the Spaniards eat breakfast, snack at around 10:00; snack around 11:30; Lunch; snack around 3:30; snack around 6-7 P.M. Supper. But the quality of their intake is much better.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Mushroom

Quote from: ChairmanJoeAintMyPrez on January 15, 2024, 08:42:43 AM

And it's used in cheese-making.