Can all sleight of hand card magic tricks be explained. Introducing Shin Lin

Started by martin88nyc, September 23, 2018, 12:54:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

martin88nyc

Shin Lim the America's Got Talent 2018 winner has wowed the world with his dexterity and mysterious card tricks but is there more to it than just a slight of hand? Has anybody here watched any of his tricks? Some of them are just mind boggling. I already took some time to find out how some of his tricks are done.
watch this:
[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5J-nhz4og0[/yt]
and this
[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaKUmY3E6fk[/yt]
"These things I have spoken to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you shall have distress: but have confidence, I have overcome the world." John 16:33

TradGranny

I was wondering about this too. It's not like regular card tricks. Sort of creeped me out.
To have courage for whatever comes in life - everything lies in that.
Saint Teresa of Avila

martin88nyc

Quote from: TradGranny on September 23, 2018, 04:28:33 PM
I was wondering about this too. It's not like regular card tricks. Sort of creeped me out.
Some may even seem surreal and impossible but in fact they are just tricks however when he multiplies cards and sort of pulls them out of nowhere I am speechless. My immediate thought was sorcery/black magic but I am sure these "tricks" are just tricks.
"These things I have spoken to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you shall have distress: but have confidence, I have overcome the world." John 16:33

Maximilian

martin88nyc

Quote from: Maximilian on September 23, 2018, 08:23:49 PM
Quote from: martin88nyc on September 23, 2018, 05:01:47 PM

My immediate thought was sorcery/black magic but I am sure these "tricks" are just tricks.

On what basis?
none. I just couldn't believe what I was seeing hence my immediate reaction.  The Nine of Hearts trick in his final performance was stupendous but I just read that he used a slider on the back of the card. This guy is the most dexterous card magician I have ever seen

Padraig

I've never been able to completely dismiss magic tricks as simple sleight of hand.

martin88nyc

Quote from: Padraig on September 23, 2018, 11:50:45 PM
I've never been able to completely dismiss magic tricks as simple sleight of hand.
Watch card tricks tutorials on youtube. You will soon realize these guys are simply born to perform card tricks. They train many years to become masters, it is sort of like playing guitar or a piano. Although I believe there are some who get supernatural help.

TradGranny

To have courage for whatever comes in life - everything lies in that.
Saint Teresa of Avila

martin88nyc

Quote from: TradGranny on September 24, 2018, 03:36:42 PM
How to explain the cards floating in the air?
Invisible strings perhaps. The dice were probably magnetized and Tyro was in on it. Part of the show. Not everything can be done without technology.

Vetus Ordo

These guys are great entertainers.

I admire their craft. It takes a lot of work and dedication, especially prestidigitation.
DISPOSE OUR DAYS IN THY PEACE, AND COMMAND US TO BE DELIVERED FROM ETERNAL DAMNATION, AND TO BE NUMBERED IN THE FLOCK OF THINE ELECT.

martin88nyc

Quote from: Vetus Ordo on September 24, 2018, 04:58:25 PM

I admire their craft. It takes a lot of work and dedication, especially prestidigitation.
and lots of healthy deviousness

Vetus Ordo

Quote from: martin88nyc on September 24, 2018, 06:50:47 PM
Quote from: Vetus Ordo on September 24, 2018, 04:58:25 PM

And lots of healthy deviousness

The guy in the video is brilliant.

Extremely innovative. However, some camera angles, when looked at closely, almost ruined a part of the trick. At some point, when he is about to rub the card on his chest, one camera angle lets you see he has another card there. Just a small detail. Most of these card tricks have benefited from the development of technology and the magic craft itself. It's a very demanding profession, you can't lag behind doing old tricks everybody already knows the solution of.

In any case, brilliant performance.
DISPOSE OUR DAYS IN THY PEACE, AND COMMAND US TO BE DELIVERED FROM ETERNAL DAMNATION, AND TO BE NUMBERED IN THE FLOCK OF THINE ELECT.

Sen

Quote from: TradGranny on September 23, 2018, 04:28:33 PM

Don't be creeped out. It's not demonic or anything like that. They're regular card tricks, just more sophisticated. You can tell at certain camera angles that the cards are bent weirdly and have gimmicks built into them. Also, I read somewhere that the black clothed board on the table has mechanisms built into it for these types of card tricks. And as martin88nyc stated, the floating cards in the finals are certainly held up by strings. My brother and I thought that the final act was sort of cheesy, actually, since it was less magic and more theatre.

There's a video by the Dimond Brothers claiming that these magic tricks are demonic, which is just silly. Even to a lay person, such as myself, some tricks such as David Copperfield's passing through the Great Wall of China are just comedic, especially when you can spot what is actually happening.

Shin Lim is great though, a funny person and has a fun stage presence.

mikemac

Like John Vennari (RIP) said "Why not just do it?  What would it hurt?"
Consecrate Russia to the Immaculate Heart of Mary (PETITION)
https://lifepetitions.com/petition/consecrate-russia-to-the-immaculate-heart-of-mary-petition

"We would be mistaken to think that Fatima's prophetic mission is complete." Benedict XVI May 13, 2010

"Tell people that God gives graces through the Immaculate Heart of Mary.  Tell them also to pray to the Immaculate Heart of Mary for peace, since God has entrusted it to Her." Saint Jacinta Marto

The real nature of hope is "despair, overcome."
Source

martin88nyc

Quote from: mikemac on September 25, 2018, 07:06:49 PM
David Blaine is pretty freaky.
But he does one of the best tricks out there and trains very hard to get to that level