Holy Father's July Intention: Pray for our priests.

Started by Xavier, July 06, 2018, 07:37:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xavier

There are less than 500,000 priests worldwide to minister to God and serve the needs of the Christian people. As the number of Catholic Christians is set to touch 1.3 billion globally, we are at worse than 2000 faithful per priest and every priest will soon have to administer sacraments to roughly 3000 faithful on average. The number of lay faithful has steadily increased while the number of priests has slightly decreased in the universal Church over the last 50 or so years. Historically, the ratio of priests:faithful was closer to 1:1000.

We need to pray very much for our priests, for all current and future priests, for holiness in the priesthood, for orthodoxy in doctrinal formation and orthopraxis in liturgical worship, and God willing, for the wider restoration of the traditional Mass in many more dioceses in the next 5 to ten years. Our Lord Jesus recommended to Mutter Vogel in 1937 offering Holy Communion for priests at least on Thursday (Holy Mass and the Christian priesthood was instituted on Maundy Thursday); if not possible once a week or as often as we reasonably can. "Child, never judge your confessor, rather pray much for him and offer every Thursday, through the hands of My blessed Mother, Holy Communion (for him)" https://prayers4reparation.wordpress.com/2011/12/19/against-criticism-of-priests/

In Akita, Our Lady asked us to recite the Rosary for priests: "Each day recite the prayers of the Rosary. With the Rosary, pray for the Pope, the bishops and priests."http://www.traditionalcatholicpriest.com/2015/10/17/our-lady-of-akita/

https://www.vaticannews.va/en/pope/news/2018-07/pope-francis-july-prayer-priests.html

QuotePope's July prayer intention: For priests

Pope Francis on Tuesday released a video message accompanying his prayer intention for July, which this month is "For priests and their pastoral ministry".
In his prayer intention for the month of July 2018, Pope Francis said: "Let us pray together that priests, who experience fatigue and loneliness in their pastoral work, may find help and comfort in their intimacy with the Lord and in their friendship with their brother priests."
It has become the custom of Pope Francis to release a video message detailing his prayer intention for each month.
The full text of his intention is below:
The tiredness of priests... Do you know how often I think about it?
Priests, with their virtues and defects, work in many different areas.
Working on so many active fronts, they cannot remain inactive after a disappointment.
At such times, it's good for them to remember that the people love their priests, need them, and trust in them.
Let us pray together that priests, who experience fatigue and loneliness in their pastoral work, may find help and comfort in their intimacy with the Lord and in their friendship with their brother priests.
The Pope's Worldwide Prayer Network of the Apostleship of Prayer developed "The Pope Video" initiative to assist in the worldwide dissemination of monthly intentions of the Holy Father in relation to the challenges facing humanity.
Bible verses on walking blamelessly with God, after being forgiven from our former sins. Some verses here: https://dailyverses.net/blameless

"[2] He that walketh without blemish, and worketh justice:[3] He that speaketh truth in his heart, who hath not used deceit in his tongue: Nor hath done evil to his neighbour: nor taken up a reproach against his neighbours.(Psalm 14)

"[2] For in many things we all offend. If any man offend not in word, the same is a perfect man."(James 3)

"[14] And do ye all things without murmurings and hesitations; [15] That you may be blameless, and sincere children of God, without reproof, in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation; among whom you shine as lights in the world." (Phil 2:14-15)

Kaesekopf

How and why do you know so much about these random private revelations/apparitions/devotions?
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Sempronius

Mutter Vogel?  Praying for priests on thursdays seems like a good idea though. I have a couple of prayer cards from newly ordained priests

Xavier

Kaese, how do I know? Many of them are in old prayer books, maybe that's it? Also a former SSPX seminarian gave me the advice: you have to become an expert on everything; not that I am that, but that's what he said I ought to be. Anyway, offering anything up, be it Holy Communion, a Rosary or any other personal devotion for priests will never be in vain.
Bible verses on walking blamelessly with God, after being forgiven from our former sins. Some verses here: https://dailyverses.net/blameless

"[2] He that walketh without blemish, and worketh justice:[3] He that speaketh truth in his heart, who hath not used deceit in his tongue: Nor hath done evil to his neighbour: nor taken up a reproach against his neighbours.(Psalm 14)

"[2] For in many things we all offend. If any man offend not in word, the same is a perfect man."(James 3)

"[14] And do ye all things without murmurings and hesitations; [15] That you may be blameless, and sincere children of God, without reproof, in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation; among whom you shine as lights in the world." (Phil 2:14-15)

Sempronius

Quote from: Xavier on July 07, 2018, 01:29:15 AM
Kaese, how do I know? Many of them are in old prayer books, maybe that's it? Also a former SSPX seminarian gave me the advice: you have to become an expert on everything; not that I am that, but that's what he said I ought to be. Anyway, offering anything up, be it Holy Communion, a Rosary or any other personal devotion for priests will never be in vain.

I think thats a good advice. A philosopher isnt surprised by anything and a priest should have some knowledge of all the sprititual tendencies of his flock.

mikemac

Who is Mutter Vogel?
QuoteShe actually existed and was a member of my wife's family. She is buried at the Waldfriedhof in Munich,Germany. She devoted her life to praying for priests. There was a book written about her life called "Mutter Vogls Weltweite Liebe" first published in 1961 in Germany. Unfortunately it was not translated into English, but we have a copy.

Deacon Harry
Source

In case anyone reads German and would like to read it.

Mutter Vogls weltweite Liebe
https://www.amazon.de/Mutter-Vogls-weltweite-Liebe-Weigl/dp/B0026RWV5C
Like John Vennari (RIP) said "Why not just do it?  What would it hurt?"
Consecrate Russia to the Immaculate Heart of Mary (PETITION)
https://lifepetitions.com/petition/consecrate-russia-to-the-immaculate-heart-of-mary-petition

"We would be mistaken to think that Fatima's prophetic mission is complete." Benedict XVI May 13, 2010

"Tell people that God gives graces through the Immaculate Heart of Mary.  Tell them also to pray to the Immaculate Heart of Mary for peace, since God has entrusted it to Her." Saint Jacinta Marto

The real nature of hope is "despair, overcome."
Source

longstrangetrip5

Quote from: Xavier on July 06, 2018, 07:37:02 PM

Let us pray together that priests, who experience fatigue and loneliness in their pastoral work, may find help and comfort in their intimacy with the Lord and in their friendship with their brother priests.
The Pope's Worldwide Prayer Network of the Apostleship of Prayer developed "The Pope Video" initiative to assist in the worldwide dissemination of monthly intentions of the Holy Father in relation to the challenges facing humanity.

why does the pope speak of loneliness in priests? I would think priests would be the least lonely of all people. they not only have lots of people who like them, look up to them, etc.. but they can be in the Real Presence of Christ virtually any time they want. Sorry, but I have a hard time feeling sorry for them. I hardly ever get to spend time in the Real Presence.. and I have no spouse or family and no close friends (which, yeh, i know, that is my own doing... I don't try too hard to have close friends but anyhow.........)

Kaesekopf

Quote from: Xavier on July 07, 2018, 01:29:15 AM
To be honest, you should take priestly advice from priests, not former seminarians. 

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jayne

Quote from: longstrangetrip5 on July 14, 2018, 08:48:30 AM
why does the pope speak of loneliness in priests? I would think priests would be the least lonely of all people. they not only have lots of people who like them, look up to them, etc.. but they can be in the Real Presence of Christ virtually any time they want. Sorry, but I have a hard time feeling sorry for them. I hardly ever get to spend time in the Real Presence.. and I have no spouse or family and no close friends (which, yeh, i know, that is my own doing... I don't try too hard to have close friends but anyhow.........)

Priests face many difficulties.  They are commonly over-worked and misunderstood.  They face unreasonable expectations from many and are under enormous pressure. While many (but far from all) Catholics may look up to them, the secular media portrays them very negatively.  As well as all these things, they face a stricter judgment from God due to their position as leaders and teachers. 

Priests need and deserve all the prayers we are able to give for them. Dedicating one day a week to focus on this is little enough.
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

PerEvangelicaDicta

Quote from: Jayne on July 15, 2018, 08:58:40 AM

Priests face many difficulties.  They are commonly over-worked and misunderstood.  The face unreasonable expectations from many and are under enormous pressure. While many (but far from all) Catholics may look up to them, the secular media portrays them very negatively.  As well as all these things, they face a stricter judgment from God due to their position as leaders and teachers. 

Priests need and deserve all the prayers we are able to give for them. Dedicating one day a week to focus on this is little enough.

LST5, I've noticed a pattern in your comments here and on another forum, in that you are a little disdainful of priests. Is it due to bad novus ordo experiences?  You cast a very wide net in your criticisms.  Perhaps we can assist you.

"...but they can be in the Real Presence of Christ virtually any time they want" 
That's a beautiful thought, isn't it? 
They shall not be confounded in the evil time; and in the days of famine they shall be filled
Psalms 36:19

Reader

Quote from: PerEvangelicaDicta on July 15, 2018, 09:33:08 AM
Quote from: Jayne on July 15, 2018, 08:58:40 AM

Priests face many difficulties.  They are commonly over-worked and misunderstood.  The face unreasonable expectations from many and are under enormous pressure. While many (but far from all) Catholics may look up to them, the secular media portrays them very negatively.  As well as all these things, they face a stricter judgment from God due to their position as leaders and teachers. 

LST5, I've noticed a pattern in your comments here and on another forum, in that you are a little disdainful of priests. Is it due to bad novus ordo experiences?  You cast a very wide net in your criticisms.  Perhaps we can assist you.

"...but they can be in the Real Presence of Christ virtually any time they want" 
That's a beautiful thought, isn't it?

We can too. Just look for the red light.

Kaesekopf

Quote from: Xavier on July 06, 2018, 07:37:02 PM

This is an ignorant post. 

Miriam_M

why does the pope speak of loneliness in priests? I would think priests would be the least lonely of all people. they not only have lots of people who like them, look up to them, etc.. but they can be in the Real Presence of Christ virtually any time they want.

Admiration from others is not a substitute for personal relationships with people.  I'm sure it takes some skill and experience to be able to navigate the delicate balance between the universal charity required of them and made accessible as a grace to them, through celibacy and a formed spirituality, and the particular, mutual exchange of natural affection which comforts human beings and sustains us through the obligations of our states in life.  Priests who are not lonely have achieved that balance, but I'm sure it's not instant, and surely it takes effort.  Priests who have not made time for their personal relationships are indeed lonely.  Why wouldn't they be?

Even single lay people who have many developed personal relationships can be lonely for the intimacy of their own marriages and children.  Good and loving priests do regard their flocks as their immediate families, in a sense, but they do not fool themselves that their professional relationships substitute for personal relationships, such as with their birth families -- if continents away -- and close friendships with men and women, lay and Religious.  The truth is that we all need personal relationships for our maximum emotional health and even productivity.  In "the old days" (pre-V2) priests often medicated their loneliness with alcohol.  Alcoholism used to be one of the primary temptations in the priesthood, and that included to priests who lived in a fully-staffed rectory with several brother priests.

QuoteSorry, but I have a hard time feeling sorry for them. I hardly ever get to spend time in the Real Presence.. and I have no spouse or family and no close friends

But you have the option of more time, even if little time, to develop those friendships because you do not have the level of responsibility a priest has.  Diocesan priests are particularly saddled with work because the diocese gives them so much bureaucratic nonsense to do.  So theoretically, priests within a trad apostolate "should" have less to do, but the truth is that the more successful they are in spreading Tradition, the more in demand they are individually to diocesan priests in the vicinity who want to convert to Tradition.

Kaesekopf

Quote from: Miriam_M on July 16, 2018, 01:24:34 PM
The truth is that we all need personal relationships for our maximum emotional health and even productivity.  In "the old days" (pre-V2) priests often medicated their loneliness with alcohol.  Alcoholism used to be one of the primary temptations in the priesthood, and that included to priests who lived in a fully-staffed rectory with several brother priests.

Definitely still a temptation in these times for priests, sadly. 

Xavier

Jesus and Mary plead with us so often to do these simple and necessary things but unfortunately we pay so little attention to them. Then things that never should have happened happen. Let us strive to obtain from God by prayer that Priests may be faithful to their vocation.

Let's resolve from now on at least (1) To offer Holy Communion for Priests every Thursday at least, and more often if possible; just as we remember the Sacred Heart on Fridays, remembering the Lord's Passion on Friday, and the Immaculate Heart on Saturday, remembering Our Lady's sorrow on Holy Saturday when Her Son lay dead in the sepulchre, it is good to set aside Thursday at least to remember that first Maundy Thursday when, in an excess of Infinite Love, the Lord Our God Jesus Christ instituted Holy Mass and the holy Priesthood, to remain with us forever in the Holy Eucharist.

Just imagine if even 10 million lay Catholics had listened to Our Lord's simple and very reasonable request in 1937 and offered Holy Communion just on every Thursday for Priests for one single year. That would be grace from 520 million Holy Communions every year.

And also let us resolve (2) to pray the Rosary daily for the Pope, the Bishops, and for Priests, as Our Lady so urgently pleads with us in Akita, Japan. The Holy Father Pope Benedict XVI confirmed the message of Akita is the same as that of Fatima, and we know how often Our Lady at Fatima, Portugal spoke of the importance of the daily Rosary and the special efficacy and power She has given to it to obtain efficacious grace for everything in these times.

Accordingly as we do these things less or more, Mary's Triumph will come later or sooner.