Encouraging Words

Started by Jayne, June 29, 2018, 03:01:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Miriam_M

Quote from: John Lamb on July 04, 2018, 03:45:28 AM
I wouldn't call that being sly, Miriam. I think that leading your student on is a very normal pedagogical technique. I would be doing the exact same thing if I was in your position.

Thank you, John, but I think my more general point is that the pedagogy can be applied by many people in many different situations.  It's not limited by occupation, and we too often do not see our opportunities to witness to Truth by the way we lead and join discussions, even outside of the pro-life category.  The point was that there are opportunities to suggest, and to get others to question popular assumptions, to reflect on why those assumptions are popular or unquestioned, and to consider that there may be other ways of looking at contemporary behavior -- ways they hadn't considered before.

P.S.  Conceding that "artful" was perhaps a better descriptor than "sly."   ;)   Or perhaps "subtle."

Bonaventure

Quote from: Irishcyclist on July 04, 2018, 01:59:10 AM
Quote from: Greg on July 03, 2018, 06:22:32 PM
Not saying they are.

Just that even with those vices he's doing a more to limit abortion legally than ALL the US Catholics and inert Bishops have managed to do since Roe-Wade.

If results don't matter then so be it.  It's all about 'participation' with some people.

What could/can US Catholics do instead?

Society, in the form of the US Supreme Court, made a decision about legalising abortion in that country. It certainly doesn't help that "catholic" politicians such as Edward Kennedy aided and abetted the provision of abortion. In my view the Church should have publicly excommunicated Kennedy.

For the ordinary Catholic, he/she can only do so much however.

The current hierarchy cares more about kissing up to illegal immigrants than the unborn. That's one thing the bishoprics can change
"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

Irishcyclist

If the prevailing culture is catholic it is far easier to be catholic.

Why remain catholic, is a very good question. When you see behaviours not having any ramifications, and worse being benefitted, it is natural to ask why stay catholic.

"Blessed are those who have not seen but believe". Do we really really accept this assertion? Do we accept the bona fides of the Person to whom these words are attributed?

Faith takes effort and work. Doubt dwells in the anteroom of faith.

I find meditating on the events of Easter weekend helps me.
Think of how Peter in his weakness, still enjoyed God's trust, fespite having denied Him.

God knows our weaknesses. God knows our virtues too. Thankfully. We've got to keep going

Miriam_M

Quote from: Bonaventure on July 05, 2018, 09:44:01 AM
The current hierarchy cares more about kissing up to illegal immigrants than the unborn. That's one thing the bishoprics can change

Can, but have rejected all previous opportunities to do so, so clearly they have no interest in prioritizing Life issues over illegal immigration.