Bucket List Item Complete

Started by Stu Cool, March 04, 2018, 10:42:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stu Cool

I've done it. I've met the legendary Greg in person.  While only able to chat for a bit, I've always wanted to meet him in person.  One of my favorite posters, I pleaded with him to continue posting if possible in light of his new work commitments.  He was very friendly, especially with my young children.  I was glad that the forum provided an opportunity to actually meet such varied people, all bound by a common bond.

Heinrich

Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Stu Cool

Could only chat after Mass.  We normally have to bolt after Mass because we are 45 minutes away and I got to make breakfast.

Kaesekopf

Awesome!  He's on my list of forum people to meet, for sure!  (Most of you are, though....  ;) )

Glad this forum can help promote Christian fraternity and community. 

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk

Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Carleendiane

Oh Kaese, most of us? Really?... well how about us bumpkins, in the middle of nowhere? Probably not first on your list!! But that is understandable. But in my case, you could see the choir in action. An exemplary choir. Friday nite usually....with a beautiful smorgasbord after practice. A memorable buffet of homemade specialties. Kaese, maybe not first on your list, but certainly should be run in for second. Would love to have you....oh masterful administrator of the BEST traditional forum in this universe.
To board the struggle bus: no whining, board with a smile, a fake one will be found out and put off at next stop, no maps, no directions, going only one way, one destination. Follow all rules and you will arrive. Drop off at pearly gate. Bring nothing.

Carleendiane

And Stu, you have entertained Greg, Catholique, extrordinaire? Lucky you. Another I would love to meet IRL!
To board the struggle bus: no whining, board with a smile, a fake one will be found out and put off at next stop, no maps, no directions, going only one way, one destination. Follow all rules and you will arrive. Drop off at pearly gate. Bring nothing.

Greg

It's a beautiful Church and I was impressed at how people all dressed well for Mass.

I wore a jacket and tie too, unusual for me, but I am glad I did. I think 95% of men had jackets and shirts.  It wasn't the TFP but they had clearly all made an effort.

Priest was young, definitely 100% male, (reminded me of young Fr. John Rizzo). Sermon was decent.  Choir was excellent.  My only criticism, (and I am only saying this so that it bothers Stu Cool for the rest of his life, when he stares at them at Church), is that the yellow painted faux marble pillars have too many cracks painted into the pattern.  I've seen real marble pillars like that in Rome and natural marble has far less cracks.  Whoever painted those pillars was a crack addict.

Anyway America has a fighting chance with a turnout like that.  It's impressive that after working their asses of all week they make such an effort Sunday.  It's certainly ain't "a day of rest" when people have to dress up 4 little ones leave at 7am and drive on freeways for over an hour each way.

U.K. is dead by comparison.  I don't think there is a Trad mass anywhere in the UK, even London, which rivals that one.  Certainly not on a regular basis.  You'd have to go to midnight mass at St. Bedes in Clapham to get a similar experience with all boxes ticked.

Stu Cool is very athletic and his wife is a peach.  Whatever his diet is, I need to copy it.  Either his gut lining is made of Teflon or the man is a vegan.

A funny thing happened during post communion.  A dad sitting behind me was instructing his 5/6 year old daughter and whispering to her how she should say "My Lord and my God" at the elevation and then, I would guess, that after receiving communion he must have been explaining how priests have the power with the words of consecration to confect the sacrament and how they practice for six years during their training.

The little girl piped up and asked.  "So what happens if they 'make God' when they are just practicing?"

I had to smile.  A rationalist in the making.  Hey those are big claims Papa.  I want some answers!
Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

Christe Eleison

Quote from: Greg on March 05, 2018, 04:01:15 AM
It's a beautiful Church and I was impressed at how people all dressed well for Mass.

I wore a jacket and tie too, unusual for me, but I am glad I did. I think 95% of men had jackets and shirts.  It wasn't the TFP but they had clearly all made an effort.

Priest was young, definitely 100% male, (reminded me of young Fr. John Rizzo). Sermon was decent.  Choir was excellent.  My only criticism, (and I am only saying this so that it bothers Stu Cool for the rest of his life, when he stares at them at Church), is that the yellow painted faux marble pillars have too many cracks painted into the pattern.  I've seen real marble pillars like that in Rome and natural marble has far less cracks.  Who ever painted those pillars was a crack addict.

Anyway America has a fighting chance with a turnout like that.  It's impressive that after working their asses of all week they make such an effort Sunday.  It's certainly ain't "a day of rest" when people have to dress up 4 little ones leave at 7am and drive on freeways for over an hour each way.

U.K. is dead by comparison.  I don't think there is a Trad mass anywhere in the UK, even London, which rivals that one.  Certainly not on a regular basis.  You'd have to go to midnight mass at St. Bedes in Clapham to get a similar experience with all boxes ticked.

Stu Cool is very athletic and his wife is a peach.  Whatever his diet is, I need to copy it.  Either his gut lining is made of Teflon or the man is a vegan.

A funny thing happened during post communion.  A dad sitting behind me was instructing his 5/6 year old daughter and whispering to her how she should say "My Lord and my God" at the elevation and then, I would guess, that after receiving communion he must have been explaining how priests have the power with the words of consecration to confect the sacrament and how they practice for six years during their training.

The little girl piped up and asked.  "So what happens if they 'make God' when they are just practicing?"

I had to smile.  A rationalist in the making.  Hey those are big claims Papa.  I want some answers!

It is so nice that you were able to meet with Stu Cool :)

I am also happy to hear that from what you saw, America has a chance :pray2:.
And what the little girl said was adorable  :) I would have loved to be able to hear that & see the look on her Papa's face...

It is nice to hear about how this forum brings people together. Thank you for sharing the story.
Thanks to Stu Cool for starting this thread.

God bless you, Greg.

Stu Cool

Quote from: Greg on March 05, 2018, 04:01:15 AM

Priest was young, definitely 100% male, (reminded me of young Fr. John Rizzo). Sermon was decent.  Choir was excellent.  My only criticism, (and I am only saying this so that it bothers Stu Cool for the rest of his life, when he stares at them at Church), is that the yellow painted faux marble pillars have too many cracks painted into the pattern.  I've seen real marble pillars like that in Rome and natural marble has far less cracks.  Whoever painted those pillars was a crack addict.

It's funny you mention TFP.  There are like two or three TFP gentlemen that attend.  Pat Buchanan also normally attends but I didn't see him yesterday.

I believe a lot of the priests that are say Mass are studying at Catholic University of America.  There always seems to be one or two young ones and they are very solid.  His confessions are very fruitful.  The other visiting priest also gives really good homilies.

Nice try about the pillars.  But it already bothers me.  Not sure if you noticed, but the altar had actual marble that they were trying to copy with the paint.  Not sure if it is cracks they are emulating or the actual design of the marble, but it is a little distracting.  From a distance, it's not too bad.  But I am pretty sure I look at them every time.

Sometimes the High Mass is a little sparser than you saw.  The pastor actually made a comment that the church is a little less full than in the past, due to the proliferation of TLMs due to Summorum Pontificum.  But it is a pretty solid mix of young and old.

I'm lucky my metabolism is still thinking I am in my late teens and early 20s.  However, now that I am in my early 30s, I think it is starting to slow.  No way I could be a vegan.  Like I had said, we normally have to bolt after Mass so I can make breakfast.  Normally lots of helpings of bacon, Spam, and eggs, so I am pretty sure I am a vegan's worst nightmare.

Once again, glad I could meet you and hopefully would be able to talk more or entertain you if you are ever in the area again.

dymphna17

On my way to meet Underdog and some of you may know Scipio from FE. Gonna meet my beautiful Goddaughter at last! Will be getting together tomorrow! Woo Hoo!

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

?
I adore Thee O Christ, and I bless Thee, because by Thy holy cross Thou hast redeemed the world!

Jesus, Mary, and Joseph save souls!

Of course I wear jeans, "The tornadoes can make dresses immodest." RSC

"Don't waste time in your life trying to get even with your enemies. The grave is a tremendous equalizer. Six weeks after you all are dead, you'll look pretty much the same. Let the Lord take care of those whom you think have harmed you. All you have to do is love and forgive. Try to forget and leave all else to the Master."– Mother Angelica

maryslittlegarden

Quote from: dymphna17 on March 21, 2018, 12:47:17 PM
On my way to meet Underdog and some of you may know Scipio from FE. Gonna meet my beautiful Goddaughter at last! Will be getting together tomorrow! Woo Hoo!

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

They need to be posting over here.... .
For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace