Eucharistus The Secular

Started by Matto, November 30, 2017, 04:34:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matto

I wanted to share with you my favorite pious story. It is from The Sayings of the Desert Fathers which I was reminded of today. I first read it when it was posted on Cathinfo and it inspired me to go out and get the whole book. And after reading the whole book it is still my favorite story from the whole book. I recommend the whole book. The version I have was translated by an Anglican named Benedicta Ward but the sayings are from the early Church. Here is the story:

Eucharistus The Secular
Two Fathers asked God to reveal to them how far they had advanced. A voice came which said, 'In a certain village in Egypt there is a man called Eucharistus and his wife who is called Mary. You have not yet reached their degree of virtue.' The two old men set out and went to the village. Having enquired, they found his house and his wife. They said to her, 'Where is your husband?' She replied. 'He is a shepherd and is feeding the sheep.' Then she made them come into the house. When evening came, Eucharistus returned with the sheep. Seeing the old men, he set the table and brought them water to wash their feet. The old men said to him, 'We shall not eat anything until you have told us about your way of life.' Eucharistus replied with humility, 'I am a shepherd and this is my wife.' The old men insisted but he did not want to say more. Then they said, 'God has sent us to you.' At these words, Eucharistus was afraid and said, 'Here are these sheep; we received them from our parents, and if, by God's help we make a little profit, we divide it into three parts: one for the poor, the second for hospitality, and the third for our personal needs. Since I married my wife, we have not had intercourse with one another, for she is a virgin; we each live alone. At night we wear hair-shirts and our ordinary clothes by day. No-one has known of this till now.' At these words they were filled with admiration and went away giving glory to God.
I Love Watching Butterflies . . ..