Salvete omnes

Started by ÆneasQuébécois, October 27, 2017, 06:37:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaesekopf

Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

ÆneasQuébécois

Just realized I broke the fast and ate meat again today. I think I've kept it once in the past 5 weeks. It's not that I crave it or anything, I just forget that it's Friday. Looking back and thinking about how every week piles the fires of Hell hotter isn't really pleasant.
"True evangelical faith...cannot lay dormant; but manifests itself in all righteousness and works of love; it...clothes the naked; feeds the hungry; consoles the afflicted; shelters the miserable; aids and consoles all the oppressed; returns good for evil; serves those that injure it; prays for those that persecute it." ~ Menno Simons

Vetus Ordo

Quote from: ÆneasQuébécois on November 17, 2017, 02:09:02 PM
Just realized I broke the fast and ate meat again today. I think I've kept it once in the past 5 weeks. It's not that I crave it or anything, I just forget that it's Friday. Looking back and thinking about how every week piles the fires of Hell hotter isn't really pleasant.

Two things:

1. If you genuinely forget about it, it's not a sin.
2. While keeping the traditional tridentine rules of fasting is meritorious, what really counts is the official discipline of today. Consult your Episcopal Conference for guidelines.
DISPOSE OUR DAYS IN THY PEACE, AND COMMAND US TO BE DELIVERED FROM ETERNAL DAMNATION, AND TO BE NUMBERED IN THE FLOCK OF THINE ELECT.

ÆneasQuébécois

Just finished Pius Parsch's The Liturgy of the Mass. I found it very helpful, and would recommend it. Next up is The Problem of Pain, by C.S Lewis
"True evangelical faith...cannot lay dormant; but manifests itself in all righteousness and works of love; it...clothes the naked; feeds the hungry; consoles the afflicted; shelters the miserable; aids and consoles all the oppressed; returns good for evil; serves those that injure it; prays for those that persecute it." ~ Menno Simons

ÆneasQuébécois

Finished The Problem of Pain Now I have to finally read the last two chapters of Leviathan.

Jayne

What did you think of The Problem of Pain ?
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

ÆneasQuébécois

I liked it for the most part. I think most of what he said in regards to the actual "problem" itself was true, and his writing style is, as it always is in his philosophic works, very pleasant to read. I was not a fan of his seeming acceptance of evolution or millions of years, however, especially since, in my opinion, someone who is that much a historian really ought to know better. I would still recommend the book, nevertheless. 

dymphna17

Welcome  ÆneasQuébécois!  I look forward to reading your posts!   :seeya:
?
I adore Thee O Christ, and I bless Thee, because by Thy holy cross Thou hast redeemed the world!

Jesus, Mary, and Joseph save souls!

Of course I wear jeans, "The tornadoes can make dresses immodest." RSC

"Don't waste time in your life trying to get even with your enemies. The grave is a tremendous equalizer. Six weeks after you all are dead, you'll look pretty much the same. Let the Lord take care of those whom you think have harmed you. All you have to do is love and forgive. Try to forget and leave all else to the Master."– Mother Angelica

Kaesekopf

Quote from: Jayne on November 20, 2017, 07:06:37 PM

I'm currently part of a book group on this.  It's slow-going, but it's an interesting book, eh?
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

ÆneasQuébécois

Quote from: Kaesekopf on November 23, 2017, 01:22:22 AM
Quote from: Jayne on November 20, 2017, 07:06:37 PM

I'm currently part of a book group on this.  It's slow-going, but it's an interesting book, eh?

Yeah, it is very interesting. I love how Lewis can be both incredibly profound and yet very easy to read at the same time. He, probably more than anyone else, has been the model for my own English prose writing, although I do not even come close to being worthy of comparison.

ÆneasQuébécois

Made it through the entire rosary today without wandering much. Much better than normal. Singing really helps, even if it makes me take about 45 minutes to an hour to say it. Is it permissible to look at an icon whilst praying? I just got a new Bible yesterday which has a number of icon prints in it and I said my rosary this morning before an icon of the Theotokos, which I think helped a bit. It is amazing how much better just singing a rosary can make one feel.

Sophia3

Quote from: ÆneasQuébécois on October 27, 2017, 06:37:20 PM
Salvete omnes. As the newest member of this forum I felt I should probably introduce myself. I was baptized into the NO church, but at the age of seven my parents left and I began a journey through every kind of Protestantism you could imagine, and then, after being disillusioned with that, into general depression. Now that I'm at university, I've started to rethink my life and am trying to come back to the one, holy, universal and apostolic Church. I've been reading my Bible again, trying to promote a habit of prayer, playing Latin chants incessantly and now just today tried to tie myself a knot rosary. (It might as well be a not rosary, it came out horrible: turns out getting the spacing even and the knots to come out right is much harder than I thought.)

I suppose I have some advantage in that I know the Bible quite well from my time as a Protestant, and I already gave up or never really got into a number of disgusting habits such as video games, television and the general debauchery of a modern youth because of the very painful physical consequences. Still though, I've been struggling with despair as I reflect on how many horrible things I've done even in my relatively short life. I'm not looking forward to being in Purgatory until Christ comes back.

On a happier note, I'm very thankful to have found this group here and have already been greatly encouraged and helped by all of you. God bless.

Welcome!
I am pretty new here too... I enjoyed reading your introduction. It's great that you are looking into things and seeking the truth...that's a beautiful thing. I thought you might like this series on what Catholics have always believed. It might help you decide some things or at least know more about the Catholic Faith and why Catholics believe what they believe. (These priests also help people long distance if you don't live near them and want some advice.) I personally know a marine who took Catechism with them on skype. Here is the first in the series on what Catholics believe:

ÆneasQuébécois

In other news, my advent devotional finally arrived. It is Advent with the Saints by Greg Friedman, published by Franciscan Media. They were giving them away only for the price of shipping, so I bought one. Looking at it now, it wasn't really worth the 16-odd dollars it cost to ship it to Nowhere, Canada but now that I have it, I am eager to get into it. It also looks pretty, which is a plus.

Carleendiane

Quote from: ÆneasQuébécois on November 25, 2017, 09:52:27 AM
Made it through the entire rosary today without wandering much. Much better than normal. Singing really helps, even if it makes me take about 45 minutes to an hour to say it. Is it permissible to look at an icon whilst praying? I just got a new Bible yesterday which has a number of icon prints in it and I said my rosary this morning before an icon of the Theotokos, which I think helped a bit. It is amazing how much better just singing a rosary can make one feel.

Though I have no reference for this, but they set statues out in the church for us to view and help our meditations. So, by reason alone it seems very proper and even approved if these statues are there to be seen even during Holy Mass.
To board the struggle bus: no whining, board with a smile, a fake one will be found out and put off at next stop, no maps, no directions, going only one way, one destination. Follow all rules and you will arrive. Drop off at pearly gate. Bring nothing.