Question about Orthodox chapels

Started by Daniel, August 26, 2017, 10:59:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daniel

I need to go to an Orthodox's wedding and this is something I'm wondering about: I have never been to an Orthodox chapel before, but I know that eastern rite chapels (and I'm guessing Orthodox chapels too) have a wall separating the congregation from the sanctuary. I was just wondering how am I to genuflect, since the tabernacle is presumably behind the wall?

abc123

Quote from: Daniel on August 26, 2017, 10:59:19 AM
I need to go to an Orthodox's wedding and this is something I'm wondering about: I have never been to an Orthodox chapel before, but I know that eastern rite chapels (and I'm guessing Orthodox chapels too) have a wall separating the congregation from the sanctuary. I was just wondering how am I to genuflect, since the tabernacle is presumably behind the wall?

Genuflecting is particular to the Roman Rite. Typically there is an icon(s) set up near the front of the church which you venerate. You would make the sign of the cross, touch the ground and then reverence the icon before making another sign of the cross and bow.

Of course if you want to genuflect nobody will say anything but you will be the only one who does so.

Daniel