Author Topic: Surveillance Self Defense  (Read 391 times)

Offline PerEvangelicaDicta

• Wachtmeister
  • Religion: Catholic
Surveillance Self Defense
« on: August 21, 2017, 04:16:04 PM »
Surveillance Self Defense
Tips, Tools and How-tos for Safer Online Communications
https://ssd.eff.org/
They shall not be confounded in the evil time; and in the days of famine they shall be filled
Psalms 36:19

The following users thanked this post: maryslittlegarden, Christe Eleison

Offline james03

• Hauptmann
  • The Brutal Clarity of a Winter Morning
Re: Surveillance Self Defense
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2017, 09:45:09 AM »
Check out adding "Ad Nauseum" and "TrackMeNot" to your browser.  It is available for Firefox.
"But he that doth not believe, is already judged: because he believeth not in the name of the only begotten Son of God (Jn 3:18)."

"If what they are saying is true, the problem is not that they are the ones saying it: the problem is that we are not the ones saying it."

The following users thanked this post: PerEvangelicaDicta

Online martin88nyc

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Feldwebel
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2017, 04:45:25 PM »
I use ghostery
"These things I have spoken to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you shall have distress: but have confidence, I have overcome the world." John 16:33

Offline PerEvangelicaDicta

• Wachtmeister
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2017, 02:36:15 PM »
I finally had to disable and remove Ghostery after almost of year of hang ups that seemed to start with their upgrades about 8 months ago.  I wasn't able to determine the cause, but it had to be incompatibility with my OS and/or other security measures installed.  It became a royal pita.

I'm testing James' suggestions w/Firefox.
They shall not be confounded in the evil time; and in the days of famine they shall be filled
Psalms 36:19

Offline james03

• Hauptmann
  • The Brutal Clarity of a Winter Morning
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2017, 04:41:32 PM »
I use ghostery
  Opposite approach.  It blocks trackers and ads.  Doesn't help with search tracking.  Ghostery/TrackMeNot would be a decent approach.

Ad Nauseum does the opposite of ghostery.  It clicks on every ad (behind the scenes) and rat holes all responses and cookies.  There is no way to nail down whether you are a man or woman, age, clothing tastes, etc...  I prefer this option myself.
"But he that doth not believe, is already judged: because he believeth not in the name of the only begotten Son of God (Jn 3:18)."

"If what they are saying is true, the problem is not that they are the ones saying it: the problem is that we are not the ones saying it."