Catholic Church bread in the mail

Started by Sophia3, December 13, 2017, 01:43:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sophia3

My friend just put me through a scare when he texted me a picture of what his mother in Poland sent him in the mail. (He is Catholic background but not very religious or practicing). He said it was "Catholic Church bread" and it looked like a host in a little sleeve envelope. I tried to ask him if it was consecrated, but I don't think he knew what I was talking about. I finally googled it and it is called oplatki. it is not a consecrated host (thank goodness) but it is meant to shadow receiving the Eucharist on Christmas Day. https://www.catholiccompany.com/content/Oplatki-Christmas-Tradition.cfm

JubilateDeo

Quote from: Sophia3 on December 13, 2017, 01:43:31 PM
My friend just put me through a scare when he texted me a picture of what his mother in Poland sent him in the mail. (He is Catholic background but not very religious or practicing). He said it was "Catholic Church bread" and it looked like a host in a little sleeve envelope. I tried to ask him if it was consecrated, but I don't think he knew what I was talking about. I finally googled it and it is called oplatki. it is not a consecrated host (thank goodness) but it is meant to shadow receiving the Eucharist on Christmas Day. https://www.catholiccompany.com/content/Oplatki-Christmas-Tradition.cfm

My Polish Grandpa's side of the family always did this for Christmas Eve dinner.  It's thinner than a regular communion wafer and you break a piece off, then pass it to someone else, and then everyone breaks a piece of everyone else's.

Gardener

"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Sophia3

Quote from: JubilateDeo on December 13, 2017, 02:31:07 PM
Quote from: Sophia3 on December 13, 2017, 01:43:31 PM
My Polish Grandpa's side of the family always did this for Christmas Eve dinner.  It's thinner than a regular communion wafer and you break a piece off, then pass it to someone else, and then everyone breaks a piece of everyone else's.
Yes, he said that he is suppose to save it for Christmas Eve and then to eat it with his relatives in Poland when they do. I thought that was kind of beautiful!

lauermar

I grew up with it. I'm Polish. My husband is German, never did. I have some and I'm going to do the tradition this year. I believe the bread is blessed by priests as they do with food, but not consecrated like the Eucharist.
"I am not a pessimist. I am not an optimist. I am a realist." Father Malachi Martin (1921-1999)

Perpetua

We have always done this for Christmas. My in-laws had the exact same reaction when I brought the tradition to America ;D

martin88nyc

"These things I have spoken to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you shall have distress: but have confidence, I have overcome the world." John 16:33

Chestertonian

Sounds interesting.  apparently half of my ancestors are from poland. 
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"