Do you rip your CDs?

Started by Kaesekopf, December 27, 2012, 02:58:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaesekopf

My cellphone plays FLAC file types.  So, since I have some free time over the next two weeks (and access to a CD-ROM drive), I am converting some of my music from CD to the FLAC file format. 

I've been using this guide for free use of it.  So far, it seems to have been going well. 
EAC Beginner's Set-up

(However, for one step - "additional command line options," this text was required...)
Quote-8 -V -T "TITLE=%title%" -T "ARTIST=%artist%" -T "ALBUMARTIST=%albumartist%" -T "ALBUM=%albumtitle%" -T "DATE=%year%" -T "TRACKNUMBER=%tracknr%" -T "TRACKTOTAL=%numtracks%" -T "GENRE=%genre%" -T "COMMENT=%comment%" -T "PERFORMER=%albuminterpret%" -T "COMPOSER=%composer%" %source% -o %dest%

The initial wave for FLAC conversion is my 5 volume set of the Beethoven symphonies as performed by the Hungarian Philharmonic Orchestra as directed by Janos Ferencsik.  I've enjoyed listening to them on CD, so I figure why not.  Plus, I picked them all up for $10, so it's hard to argue with that kind of deal.

After that, I am not sure what I will convert to FLAC.  It takes a decent amount of time, and I am trying to stray away from my older musical tastes (since they are not very edifying!). 

Is anyone else this anal about their music?  haha.  Also, do you have any experience in doing this?  Did I mention that I love my phone?  And PowerAmp, the music player I have on my phone!
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

tmw89

Always happy to see somebody post about FLAC.

I discovered the format online 4ish years ago, and haven't looked back since. You're on the right track with EAC, as it's my understanding it is the best CD-ripping software available freely or otherwise.

But if you're REALLY anal about your music, you need to venture into the dark realm of SACD and vinyl-rips... the kind of stuff that leaves you with a song which weighs in at over 100mb (and that's after lossless compression to FLAC!) After a few listens to dynamic 24 bit / 192 khz vinyl rips, I think you'll find that the paltry 16 bit / 44.1 khz of CD won't cut it any longer.

Also, le headphones: http://www.head-fi.org/a/2012-head-fi-holiday-gift-guide-over-ear
Quote from: Bishop WilliamsonThe "promise to respect" as Church law the New Code of Canon Law is to respect a number of supposed laws directly contrary to Church doctrine.

---

http://tradblogs.blogspot.com

NOW OPEN:  A new Trad forum featuring Catholic books, information, and discussion!

Kaesekopf

I want some Shure cans. 

Maybe a birthday gift for me in 2013... 

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

tmw89

Talking about this kind of stuff after Christmas... and knowing my birthday is no time soon... I would not be able to hold out, and definitely go through a Christmas gift card or two.
Quote from: Bishop WilliamsonThe "promise to respect" as Church law the New Code of Canon Law is to respect a number of supposed laws directly contrary to Church doctrine.

---

NOW OPEN:  A new Trad forum featuring Catholic books, information, and discussion!

Kaesekopf

Quote from: tmw89 on December 27, 2012, 03:18:49 AM
Talking about this kind of stuff after Christmas... and knowing my birthday is no time soon... I would not be able to hold out, and definitely go through a Christmas gift card or two.

Haha.  Yeah.  I'm 9 months away...  I only got those engineering-related things for Christmas though.  #engineerworldproblems  haha!

Hat And Beard

A year ago I didn't care about this sort of thing. Since I started getting back into playing music and also my academic interests heading in the direction of digital signal processing, I've exploded into this. All of my music is ripped using Asunder CD Ripper. I haven't gone out and bought a nice pair of headphones yet, but it's high on my list.

Ben

I ripped with Flac for a while, but converted it all to 128 mp3 after I realized my ears weren't sharp enough to detect any difference. Saved me lots of hard drive space.

I'm picky about the quality of my video rips.

Greg

I no longer use CDs.  Everything is digital on flash drives, smartphones and similar.  I am even moving away from this now and just using Youtube to listen to any music that takes my fancy.  Pretty much everything is on there.  Since I am permanently connected to the Internet by high speed broadband, 60mbit download and have a mobile with 24 hour fixed cost Internet this is the best way.

CDs to me are just more plastic to lose, misplace, damage.

I downloaded about 12 gb of pirated music in the days of Napster and hardly ever listened to stuff.  I still have it on my hard drive in a folder but Youtube has made it inconvenient and useless to me.

I think Youtube is the way it is heading.  At some point they will charge a small amount for the content if they cannot support it with advertising.  I watch old Laurel and Hard shorts, movies, documentaries and Russian cartoons for be kids on YouTube everyday.
Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

LouisIX

I used to torrent everything.  Movies, music, even software and games.  I don't think that it is morally acceptable anymore, however.

As with Greg, I no longer purchase cds, however.  I recently read that country music fans are the only thing keeping the cd alive.
IF I speak with the tongues of men, and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

Kaesekopf

Quote from: LouisIX on December 30, 2012, 02:43:02 PM
I used to torrent everything.  Movies, music, even software and games.  I don't think that it is morally acceptable anymore, however.

As with Greg, I no longer purchase cds, however.  I recently read that country music fans are the only thing keeping the cd alive.

This is what I used to do.  Of course, I used to pirate some utter trash, so I'm a lot more judicious in my media choices.

However, the country music thing kind of surprises me.

The other thing I use is Pandora.  I find it easier to use than Youtube (lazy much?) and typically it gets my musical tastes right.

MilesChristi

because all other music fans illegally download their music, it seems.
The world is charged with the grandeur of God.
    It will flame out, like shining from shook foil;
    It gathers to a greatness, like the ooze of oil
Crushed. Why do men then now not reck his rod?
Generations have trod, have trod, have trod;
    And all is seared with trade; bleared, smeared with toil;
    And wears man's smudge and shares man's smell: the soil
Is bare now, nor can foot feel, being shod.

And for all this, nature is never spent;
    There lives the dearest freshness deep down things;
And though the last lights off the black West went
    Oh, morning, at the brown brink eastward, springs —
Because the Holy Ghost over the bent
    World broods with warm breast and with ah! bright wings.

tmw89

Quote from: MilesChristi on January 01, 2013, 07:55:51 PM
because all other music fans illegally download their music, it seems.

"Morally, digital replication and distribution cannot be theft or robbery" - see http://www.suscipedomine.com/forum/index.php?topic=38.0

---

MilesChristi

I didn't say it was theft.
If it was, I'd be in big trouble.
The world is charged with the grandeur of God.
    It will flame out, like shining from shook foil;
    It gathers to a greatness, like the ooze of oil
Crushed. Why do men then now not reck his rod?
Generations have trod, have trod, have trod;
    And all is seared with trade; bleared, smeared with toil;
    And wears man's smudge and shares man's smell: the soil
Is bare now, nor can foot feel, being shod.

And for all this, nature is never spent;
    There lives the dearest freshness deep down things;
And though the last lights off the black West went
    Oh, morning, at the brown brink eastward, springs —
Because the Holy Ghost over the bent
    World broods with warm breast and with ah! bright wings.

tmw89

---

Pheo

I rip all my classical CDs with either FLAC or Apple Lossless (I have too much Macturd stuff to care about whether or not it's compatible with X device).

And I just got these for Christmas...now I'm glad that that's what I've been doing all along (Bose QC 15):

For those who want to rip lossless on a Mac, I'd recommend XLD.  It's a great little utility and has way more options than iTunes could ever dream of.
Son, when thou comest to the service of God, stand in justice and in fear, and prepare thy soul for temptation.