Father hires assassins to stop his son from gaming

Started by Lyubov, January 07, 2013, 01:00:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lyubov

I love making sensationalist thread titles.

QuoteChinese father pushes son to kick gaming addiction by hiring virtual assassins to kill his MMO character

It's practically a cliché at this point: An angry father gets fed up with his lay about son playing video games all day instead of looking for a job. But Kotaku reports that one father in China went outside the box when thinking of ways to get his son off the computer: He hired a team of virtual assassins to repeatedly kill his son's favorite character in a popular online role-playing game. According to Kotaku, 23-year-old Xiao Feng had been in and out of jobs for years while pointedly telling his father that he didn't want to work for a living. Even after his father ruined his online gaming experience by having his character die numerous times, the defiant Feng told his father that he was still "not looking for any job" and that he wanted "to take some time to find one that suits me." So let this be a lesson to all you crafty entrepreneurs out there thinking you can make a fortune by creating a virtual Dark Brotherhood to take out game addicts' MMO characters: This sort of intervention apparently isn't all that effective.

http://news.yahoo.com/chinese-father-pushes-son-kick-gaming-addiction-hiring-000015498.html
??? ?? ??? ????????
?? ??? ?????? ?????.

Bonaventure

Wow. It looks like the virtual hitman industry is kicking up!
"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

OCLittleFlower

-- currently writing a Trad romance entitled Flirting with Sedevacantism --

???? ?? ?????? ????????? ???, ?? ?????.

TerrorDæmonum

The online gaming world has some surprisingly complex goings-on.

Virtual economies, organizations, etc have become very in-depth.

Hiring assassins (or paying anyone) is a bit extreme.

There are ways:

OCLittleFlower

-- currently writing a Trad romance entitled Flirting with Sedevacantism --

???? ?? ?????? ????????? ???, ?? ?????.

Kaesekopf

Any gamer worth his salt would be able to figure out what the WiFi password is.

Or reset it.
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

tmw89

Quote from: Bonaventure on January 07, 2013, 01:30:32 AM
Wow. It looks like the virtual hitman industry is kicking up!

Guessing you've never heard about the high-profile Eve Online incident?

Check this out for some info - http://www.computerandvideogames.com/180867/features/murder-incorporated/?site=pcg
Quote from: Bishop WilliamsonThe "promise to respect" as Church law the New Code of Canon Law is to respect a number of supposed laws directly contrary to Church doctrine.

---

http://tradblogs.blogspot.com

NOW OPEN:  A new Trad forum featuring Catholic books, information, and discussion!

Kaesekopf

EVE is probably my favorite MMO, just because of all the ridiculous high-profile stories that come out of it.
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

TerrorDæmonum

Quote from: Kaesekopf on January 07, 2013, 10:04:47 AM

Or reset it.

"Gamers" play games and occasionally have knowledge of the hardware and software necessary for gaming.

And I think the disciplinary action for compromising the property of a parent would be greater. That letter is obviously assuming there is no great conflict.

When it comes to children, I have a philosophy of not giving them any ground. They will not condition me, and I will not explain myself to them as a condition of obedience. They do it or not, and not doing it has consequences.

tmw89

Quote from: Pæniteo on January 07, 2013, 01:38:29 PM
Quote from: Kaesekopf on January 07, 2013, 10:04:47 AM

Or reset it.

"Gamers" play games and occasionally have knowledge of the hardware and software necessary for gaming.

And I think the disciplinary action for compromising the property of a parent would be greater. That letter is obviously assuming there is no great conflict.

When it comes to children, I have a philosophy of not giving them any ground. They will not condition me, and I will not explain myself to them as a condition of obedience. They do it or not, and not doing it has consequences.

This is a good philosophy.  If a large number of parents would act accordingly, the "crisis of authority" that has reined for half a century might at least lessen in intensity.

/derail
Quote from: Bishop WilliamsonThe "promise to respect" as Church law the New Code of Canon Law is to respect a number of supposed laws directly contrary to Church doctrine.

---

http://tradblogs.blogspot.com

NOW OPEN:  A new Trad forum featuring Catholic books, information, and discussion!

TerrorDæmonum

Quote from: tmw89 on January 07, 2013, 01:55:58 PM
This is a good philosophy.  If a large number of parents would act accordingly, the "crisis of authority" that has reined for half a century might at least lessen in intensity.

/derail

It is not just philosophy for those thinking that I would change if I had to deal with kids.

I do watch kids and I see how they act. And I was a child once. I have seen kids use the "saving" excuse to play another round or level of a video game when their parents are in charge. When I am watching them, I say it is time to stop or give a time when they are expected to stop, and if they are not, I just turn off the system.

They do not dilly-dally with me.

Also, if it is not a matter of safety, I do not actively enforce what I say. If they do not do it, well, the next time they ask for something, I say "no". The first few times they were surprised.