What are you currently reading?

Started by Francisco Suárez, December 26, 2012, 09:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

red solo cup

The Shroud of Turin by Ian Wilson
non impediti ratione cogitationis

DigitalLogos

I'm almost finished with The Glories of the Sacred Heart by Cardinal Edward Henry Manning, which has quickly become one of my favorite books on the Devotion. I've started reading the first volume of the Fr. Cekada collection from SGG. And I'm also on a Japanese comic tangent right now, re-reading Dragon Ball, catching up on One-Punch Man and have started D.Gray-Man.
"The Heart of Jesus is closer to you when you suffer, than when you are full of joy." - St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

Put not your trust in princes: In the children of men, in whom there is no salvation. - Ps. 145:2-3

"For there shall be a time, when they will not endure sound doctrine; but, according to their own desires, they will heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears: And will indeed turn away their hearing from the truth, but will be turned unto fables." - 2 Timothy 4:3-4

Bernadette

The Bear and the Nightingale, by Kathleen Arden. It's pretty good. I think it's a historical fantasy? Not really sure.
My Lord and my God.

MundaCorMeum

Just finished 'The Treasure Seekers' by E. Nesbit as a family read aloud.  Love her!  She's so witty, and the kids are always disappointed at the end of the chapter, when we have to wait until the next day to continue.  We started 'Swallows and Amazons' this week, by Arthur Ransome.  I'm enjoying it so far. 

Bernadette

I like The House of Arden and Harding's Luck best. I bought a hard copy, I liked them so much.
My Lord and my God.

MundaCorMeum

Quote from: Bernadette on June 08, 2021, 06:45:12 PM
I like The House of Arden and Harding's Luck best. I bought a hard copy, I liked them so much.

I'll have to get those for next school year!  We've read all the E. Nestbit books in the house  ;D

Bernadette

Quote from: MundaCorMeum on June 08, 2021, 06:47:26 PM

I'll have to get those for next school year!  We've read all the E. Nestbit books in the house  ;D
They're on librivox.org, too.
My Lord and my God.

Maximilian

I've recommended before "The Land of Far Beyond" -- not by E. Nesbit but by E. Blyton.

Children really enjoyed it, and the Christian message made a strong impact on them.

MundaCorMeum

Quote from: Maximilian on June 09, 2021, 08:25:24 AM

I've recommended before "The Land of Far Beyond" -- not by E. Nesbit but by E. Blyton.

Children really enjoyed it, and the Christian message made a strong impact on them.

Thank you (again)!  I'm starting school planning later this month for our next school year, so it's perfect timing to have this on my radar  :)

Bernadette

The Hound of the Baskervilles. One of my favorites.
My Lord and my God.

Michael Wilson

Quote from: Bernadette on June 19, 2021, 05:19:49 PM
The Hound of the Baskervilles. One of my favorites.
I love all the Sherlock Holmes stories; he is such a conceited fat-head, its hilarious.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Ex Cathedra

I'm finishing Windswept House. It's truly prophetic.
The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers. For it is impossible that the words of our Lord Jesus Christ, who said, "Thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my Church," [Matthew 16:18], should not be verified. And their truth has been proved by the course of history, for in the Apostolic See the Catholic religion has always been kept unsullied. - The Formula of St. Hormisdas

Optatus

Quote from: Ex Cathedra on June 19, 2021, 07:27:19 PM
I'm finishing Windswept House. It's truly prophetic.

You've probably already read it, but if not: check out Lord of the World.

For myself, I'm juggling Book VI of The History of Middle-earth and The Mothman Prophecies.

red solo cup

In the Garden of Beasts : Love, Terror and an American Family in Hitler's Berlin by Erik Larson
non impediti ratione cogitationis

Mono no aware

Yukio Mishima, The Sound of Waves
(transl. Meredith Weatherby)