Your favorite old movies

Started by Jacob, June 18, 2021, 10:04:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

What are some of your favorite old movies, old being movies made before you were born?  Why do you consider them among your favorites?  Who stars in them?

The Best Years of Our Lives (1946)
This is a movie with an ensemble cast.  The three main actors play servicemen who are coming home to a small midwestern city now that WWII is over.  One of this is a banker who served as an NCO in the infantry, one of them is a former drug store worker who was a bombardier in the air force, and the third was a sailor who lost his hands when his ship went down.  The three of them have to adjust to postwar life and their families have to adjust to them.  Many Oscars were won.

Gaslight (1944)
With Ingrid Bergman and Charles Boyer.  Ingrid is a younger woman who meets an older man in Italy.  they fall in love, marry, and then settle in her family townhouse in London.  There, things start to happen that lead Ingrid to think that she is starting to lose her mind, much as her own mother did when she was a child.  Boyer and the servants watch.  This is a great period movie.
"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
--Neal Stephenson

Insanis

I have both Gaslights!

I am getting the 1931 and 1936 version of The Maltese Falcon (book published in 1929) soon and I recently watched the more famous film from 1941. I have some Film Noir on my list now.

I like some old Republic serials, particularly Commando Cody. Ray Harryhausen's work is something to behold.

But I think the best old movie is King Kong from 1933. It is a masterpiece.

Universal's The Invisible Man from 1933 is great. I have nostalgia from it too because I saw it when I was very young.

This is of course for Talkies. I don't think I have a favourite individual traditional moving picture.

The Curt Jester

I particularly like The Gold Rush (1925, Charlie Chaplin).  Charlie is a prospector in Alaska.  He and his partner find themselves starving in a shack in the middle of a blizzard and having to contend with a criminal.

Brother Orchid (1940, Edward G. Robinson) is also one I enjoyed watching.  After an attempt on his life, a gangster boss goes into hiding by pretending to be a monk.

For something more recent, there's Never a Dull Moment (1968, Dick Van Dyke).  An actor is mistaken for a hired killer and taken into the employ of a gangster boss.
The royal feast was done; the King
Sought some new sport to banish care,
And to his jester cried: "Sir Fool,
Kneel now, and make for us a prayer!"

The jester doffed his cap and bells,
And stood the mocking court before;
They could not see the bitter smile
Behind the painted grin he wore.

He bowed his head, and bent his knee
Upon the Monarch's silken stool;
His pleading voice arose: "O Lord,
Be merciful to me, a fool!"

Jayne

Casablanca 1942

Roman Holiday 1953

These have the common theme of putting duty above romance, an idea almost lost in our time.

The Court Jester 1955  This is a Danny Kaye comedy that somehow just really appeals to my sense of humour.  This is my favourite scene:

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJ9f2rnjB84[/yt]
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

Melkor

The Clint Eastwood Man with no name trilogy. Also one of my favourites is the Magnificent Seven. It's  hilarious to watch an up and coming Steve McQueen gain confidence and charisma, much to the chagrin of Yul Brynner.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

"Am I not here, I who am your mother?" Mary to Juan Diego

"Let a man walk ten miles steadily on a hot summer's day along a dusty English road, and he will soon discover why beer was invented." G.K. Chesterton

"Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after justice: for they shall have their fill." Jesus Christ

Jayne

Quote from: The Curt Jester on June 18, 2021, 10:56:37 PM
Brother Orchid (1940, Edward G. Robinson) is also one I enjoyed watching.  After an attempt on his life, a gangster boss goes into hiding by pretending to be a monk.

I've never seen that, but I really liked When in Rome (1952) which seems to have a similar plot.  A criminal on the run disguises himself as a priest in Rome during the 1950 Jubilee year.
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

Melkor

@Jayne I've seen the Court Jester, it was absolutely hilarious.

"Let a man walk ten miles steadily on a hot summer's day along a dusty English road, and he will soon discover why beer was invented." G.K. Chesterton

"Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after justice: for they shall have their fill." Jesus Christ

Bernadette

I love Roman Holiday! I meant to watch it while I was in Rome, but I gave up movies that year for Lent. I love Bright Eyes, with Shirley Temple. I always watch it around Christmas time.
My Lord and my God.

Michael Wilson

Old movies; I also like "The Magnificent Seven"; "Jaws"; The "Pink Panther" series; I would laugh myself sick. The first "Star Wars";
"Psycho". "Gigot" with Jackie Gleason (one of the finest acting scenes he ever did was in the Church trying to explain to the little girl about Our Lord (he plays a mute in this movie); I know I have missed a few.
Starts at 3:31
[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=la5tyq9gblk[/yt]
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Jacob

Quote from: Melkor on June 19, 2021, 05:46:29 AM
The Clint Eastwood Man with no name trilogy. Also one of my favourites is the Magnificent Seven. It's  hilarious to watch an up and coming Steve McQueen gain confidence and charisma, much to the chagrin of Yul Brynner.
How would you rank Clint's movies?  I'd go with 1. Fistful, 2. Good, Bad, Ugly, 3. Few Dollars More.  Number one is so much fun and moves right along.  Number two is iconic of course.  Number three is cool, but isn't the first and isn't the groundbreaker number two is.

Quote from: Michael Wilson on June 19, 2021, 08:31:09 AM
The "Pink Panther" series;
Do you have a preference for any of them?  More the early ones or more the later ones?
"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
--Neal Stephenson

Melkor

Quote from: Jacob on June 19, 2021, 09:47:17 AM
Quote from: Melkor on June 19, 2021, 05:46:29 AM
How would you rank Clint's movies?  I'd go with 1. Fistful, 2. Good, Bad, Ugly, 3. Few Dollars More.  Number one is so much fun and moves right along.  Number two is iconic of course.  Number three is cool, but isn't the first and isn't the groundbreaker number two is.

Quote from: Michael Wilson on June 19, 2021, 08:31:09 AM
The "Pink Panther" series;
Do you have a preference for any of them?  More the early ones or more the later ones?

Hmm. 1. Good, Bad, Ugly. 2. For a few dollars. 3. Fistful of dollars.

I think Eli's performance in the Good bad and ugly is severely underrated. Also the ending is one of my favourites ever. I like second one over first because I love the chemistry between the man with no name and the other bounty hunter (forget his name).

Michael Wilson

My favorite of the three (all great) is for "A Few Dollars More" the final duel is great; just when it looks like the bad guy, Gian Maria Volonte is going to gun down the old bounty hunter, Lee Van Cleef as the chimes from the pocket watch end; they start up again off screen; and suddenly, there is the young bounty hunter, Clint Eastwood, with the second matching pocket watch, and holding the gun on the villain. The music and the whole scene where great.
[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JPnR7C8mZQ[/yt]
I think I over-used the term "great" in this post.

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Michael Wilson

A Miracle For Marcellino; this one brings tears to my eyes every time I watch it. Marcellino, an orphaned baby is dropped off at the door of a Franciscan monastery; the monks adopt him; and he is quite the mischievous rascal until he discovers a Crucifix in the attic of the Monastery. The rest is cinema at its finest.

Michael Wilson

"The Lord of Rings"; I love the books so much that I kept reading them until I got sick of them. All three movies are great; for me the best scene is the "Ride of the Rhohirim" unto Pellenor Fields, to help lift the siege of Minas Tirith.
[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pis3veqKl8k[/yt]
Now I think I'm all "movied" out.

Insanis

Quote from: Michael Wilson on June 19, 2021, 12:05:09 PM
"The Lord of Rings"; I love the books so much that I kept reading them until I got sick of them. All three movies are great; for me the best scene is the "Ride of the Rhohirim" unto Pellenor Fields, to help lift the siege of Minas Tirith.

The first of the trilogy came out in 2001.

Are you trying to tell us something?